corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone work in a call centre?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone work in a call centre?
Ben J

User status: Offline
28th Oct 10 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it the most cushty job ever??

I was just at a big call centre near Manchester Airport, ran by a large communications company. I was visiting one of my Customer Services NVQ students.

It was my first time in a call centre. I was amazed. Really modern facilities, comfy desks and chairs, you can wear your own clothes, no dress code, free gym on site, subsidised restaurant etc etc. Plenty of chat/banter going on. And this particular place has won loads of awards for its performance!!

Also alot of the people there seemed to spend the 2 hours I was there making/putting up Halloween decorations!!!

Bet alot are on more £ than me too, as i'm still training as an Assessor.

It was also full of hotties too!!

Mad.

[Edited on 28-10-2010 by Ben J]
Conway563

28th Oct 10 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not worked in one but worked with them a lot
Quite a lot are like you've seen other's aren't great

I couldn't do it personally as it;s a bit monotonous (sp?) and would hate to have to take my lunch, breaks etc at exact times

Money can be alright but depends what it's doing and generally chances for progression aren't amazing

[Edited on 28-10-2010 by Conway563]
Eck
Premium Member

28th Oct 10 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've worked in a couple and aye, you can have days like that where it's an easy life. But calling/being called and doing the same thing every two or three minutes is a bit soul destroying.
Ben J

28th Oct 10 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, i couldn't do it myself, as said it would be monotonous etc.

But if you can cope with that then it must be great!!
Ojc

28th Oct 10 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You must visit my office, you would think people are just there for a coffee morning.
A2H GO

28th Oct 10 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I worked in a call centre for a year, it was exactly as you described and was the worst year of my life. I now do the same job, only without the calls and i love it
Baskey

28th Oct 10 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to run the phone lines in a small bank call centre. Used to dob people in to their managers when they were skiving as I had all the monitoring software.

Also used to get tip offs from manages about dogee staff and I would have to investigate them, very interesting I loved that job.

Working on the phones is a nightmare though, felt sorry for them mist the time

[Edited on 28-10-2010 by Baskey]
Doug

28th Oct 10 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worked in one as my first ever job when I was 16.

It is fucking shite!

I don't know how people do it for a living I really don't!
Simon L

28th Oct 10 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might seem nice passing through, but you are plugged in the whole day, the time you get up and go for break/to take a piss is recorded.

Same calls all day, i.e. taking abuse off customers, selling things they don't want. I couldn't do it.

Plus the money is awful, almost like slave labour.

But aye, ours is full of orange and blonde girls. The occasional cracker, but they don't last long. My time with them is special.
luciaadr

28th Oct 10 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worked in one for 2 months when came out of uni. The most soul destroying place, hated every minute
AndyKent

28th Oct 10 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tried it when I left school and fucking hated it. People were ok, but was a bit more pressure than I was expecting and I hated cold calling people.

Think it suits one type of person more than others.
Nic Barnes

28th Oct 10 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which african country were you visiting ben?
Marc

28th Oct 10 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for Nespresso (Division of Nestle)

We aren't allowed to call it a call centre, its a Customer Relationship Centre

I'm on my 4th week. I've had 4 weeks of Powerpoint presentations, had talks off the managering director, had people come over from offices in Belgium and given a very thorugh history on the brand and its expectations.

As it is high end coffee we sell we get free coffee, we also get free coffee machines (like below)

Everything is brand new, fancy wooden floors and carpets, large widescreen computer monitors, fancy office chairs (The ones that have backs like netting)

I have spent all day today at the Novotel hotel doing role-plays, activities on how to talk to customers.

I took 5 calls on Tuesday but will be starting properly tomorrow.

Machine I'm getting:

Limecat
Banned

28th Oct 10 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Virgin Media by any chance Ben?

[Edited on 28-10-2010 by Limecat]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
28th Oct 10 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
you can wear your own clothes
Whose clothes do you normally wear?
Whittie

28th Oct 10 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
you can wear your own clothes
Whose clothes do you normally wear?

Ste
Premium Member

28th Oct 10 at 23:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wear the clothes my company supplies me with! I don't own them.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

29th Oct 10 at 00:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have a vending machine in a very small call centre and it seems such a dire place. The amount of time they spend phoning people to just have it ring for a while then go to answerphone, then on the rare occasions they do get through they start their sales patter only for the person on the other end of the phone to tell them to stop disturbing them then it's hang up and try again with another set of numbers.

I can pretty much guarantee I'd be sacked within my first week for giving customers abuse. There's one lad that's worked there for at least 2 years now and he just constantly looks miserable, he used to seem quite cheery when I first met him
Root

29th Oct 10 at 04:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not worked in one and wouldn't like to.

That particular company sounds like it's one that takes care of it's employees.

Well, I work for the 2nd largest shipping company in all of Europe, but we still get shitty break times and all that. They still take the piss and treat you like shit. I guess some employers just care more.

It's not the type of job I'd like, being on the receiving end of complaining customers and general shitbags.

Meh. I like my job because I just see work colleagues and not any dickhead customers.
Eck
Premium Member

29th Oct 10 at 05:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Limecat

I've had the pleasure of selling VM shit. Was by far the best thing I did in a call centre.some days consisted of phoning customers who were paying £29 for broadband and telephone, and I was calling to give them the large tv package for a quid, and if they still weren't sure, I'd upgrade that to the XL package for a year When they said yes, I got to go and play PES and eat food while the package was arranged
Ben J

29th Oct 10 at 07:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Nope. It's a huge company who support other large companies.
Limecat
Banned

29th Oct 10 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:

I've had the pleasure of selling VM shit. Was by far the best thing I did in a call centre.some days consisted of phoning customers who were paying £29 for broadband and telephone, and I was calling to give them the large tv package for a quid, and if they still weren't sure, I'd upgrade that to the XL package for a year When they said yes, I got to go and play PES and eat food while the package was arranged

I did a stint for Virgin Media when they were still NTL, to be honest it was a right laugh.

There was a culture of giving abusive customers both barrels.

The one I most vividly remember is a guy phoning in saying he had a fault, a quick look revealed he had been cut off for not paying his bills since he was installed. He wouldn't have it and ended up saying 'The fucking service at NTL is shit'. So I said he hasn't got room to comment on a service he has never paid a penny towards.

At that point he went off his nut and started saying how he is a solicitor and could sue me for libel. Then I served him up a giant plate of ownage by saying 'Maybe if you were a bit better at your job you would realise that libel is in the written format and slander is verbal, then you would get paid more andd would manage to settle your bills instead of wasting my time!'
Butler

29th Oct 10 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love my new job.

I wear whatever clothes I want to work Got a comfy office, full of car and motorsport memorabilia. Everyone talks about cars and there is always something new and expensive in the car park. Il also be the first to hear any car related news. Got a workshop we can use for our cars, and other perks of the job include free entry to car shows eg. the classic car show at the nec in a couple of weeks, and next week im on an all expenses paid drive out and to Stroud to visit some car museums and get drunk then stay in a B&B and getting paid for it. Also going on the company car insurance so I can drive cars on photo shoots. The art editor was telling me how he drove a 250GTO only the other week.
Fro

29th Oct 10 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't sound like a call centre?
Butler

29th Oct 10 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not, just reiterating that call centre jobs arent the most 'cushty' in the world.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone work in a call centre? 23 database queries in 0.0344560 seconds