corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Prisoners getting the vote

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Prisoners getting the vote
Kurt

User status: Offline
2nd Nov 10 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone else heard this on the news today?

It's been deemed that not allowing prisoners to vote is against their human rights!

Discuss
Dr Pepper

2nd Nov 10 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who cares, they can only vote for a choice of three parties - and they are all exactly the same - useless

They can have my vote if they want it - its pretty much useless to me, I dont want to vote for any of them

[Edited on 02-11-2010 by Dr Pepper]
Neo

2nd Nov 10 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shouldn't be applicable to cons tbh. They gave up their basic human rights, hence why they are in prison
AndyKent

2nd Nov 10 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had to laugh when they had a soundclip of some soppy-faced old do-gooder on the radio this morning.

"They go into prison to give up their freedom, not their democratic rights"
Dr Pepper

2nd Nov 10 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
Shouldn't be applicable to cons tbh. They gave up their basic human rights, hence why they are in prison

what about the ones who are only in for a few days, or months...shouldnt they get a vote still? People go on holiday for longer than that and still get a say on what the country should be like.

Im not really bothered .... the real debate should be not who gets a vote .... but how our vote is used ...at the moment mine is pretty much useless to me
LeeM

2nd Nov 10 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a fair point, I think they should be allowed tbh
Neo

2nd Nov 10 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
quote:
Originally posted by Neo

what about the ones who are only in for a few days, or months...shouldnt they get a vote still? People go on holiday for longer than that and still get a say on what the country should be like.

Im not really bothered .... the real debate should be not who gets a vote .... but how our vote is used ...at the moment mine is pretty much useless to me

I'm referring more so to those that are in long term. There will be policys from each party on how people inside are treated, how much money is put into them etc etc. The amount of cons could easily change the overall result, and as a detrimental result have a local MP that those who are in working society in that area are against.

I agree about your vote being completely useless, the 3 main parties are so watered down they blend together, but this may not be the case in 4 years time. Parties will play on this at the next election for sure.
3CorsaMeal

2nd Nov 10 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
It's a fair point, I think they should be allowed tbh

agree
Nath

2nd Nov 10 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no opinion on this matter.
3CorsaMeal

2nd Nov 10 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
I have no opinion on this matter.

same here
Daveskater
Premium Member

2nd Nov 10 at 13:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
People go on holiday out of choice though, not because they knifed some guy in the face

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Whittie

2nd Nov 10 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not bothered.

Thinking about it though, their votes would probably be the most thought out and researched It's not a law to vote so the ones in prison won't. It'll only be the ones that have their reasons.
Whittie

2nd Nov 10 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking forward to hearing the next campaigns though....

"SHORTEN PRISON SENTENCES"
oceansoul

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
Skylined

My main argument is how they're saying that not giving them a vote is unlawful.

Yet they chose to be unlawful, hence the reason why they're in prison in the first place.

Utter bollocks
flybikeslee

2nd Nov 10 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuck em
Eck
Premium Member

2nd Nov 10 at 14:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
quote:
People go on holiday out of choice though, not because they knifed some guy in the face

What a fucking ridiculous comparison. If someone goes to prison, it is for a crime. I go on holiday out of choice after working hard for it
Dr Pepper

2nd Nov 10 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe I would be in favour of anyone on a life sentance not being allowed a vote? Not sure how much difference it makes really - their vote isnt going to swing an election so its just a moral question really.

Personally I think its important for everyone to be represented at elections - rich, poor, unemployed, millionairs, criminals, addicts, dealers - everyone .... I would like to see many more people represented in parliament too - not just rich, eaton/oxford educated sons of lords ... I would like to see reformed criminals, ex addicts ect in parliament as these people have real life experiance, and are real experts on drug use, poverty, social disorder ect ...cameron and co havnt got a clue about how some people in this country get by day to day

majority of people in prison are poor, and from poor backgrounds .... some people in prison have done very little wrong, have committed very small crimes .... some are innocent .... some people are locked up for a crime that they dont actually consider to be a crime by their own morals - I dont think these people should be lacking a say in the direction our country takes. They are being punished in prison but they will be returning very soon to society - there vote should be heard.....even though it wont make a difference imo

I will give you a good example - there are plenty of small time cannibis smugglers and dealers in prison ... none of them in my opinion should be there as I believe cannabis should be legal - should they not be able to vote for a political party who believes cannabis should be legalised? I dont see why not.

Why stop at prisoners ... how about saying anyone who has ever comitted a crime shouldnt be allowed a vote, how about people with three points on their license shouldnt get a vote ... its about basic freedom and I dont think we should get too angry about increased liberty in this country - we have enough civil liberty taken from us that it actually makes a pleasant suprise for me to see a decision go in the opposite direction

I will tell you what is more disgusting to me than prisoners having a vote ...... there are members of our government who make millions of pounds from the british economy, who have the right to vote here and to serve in politics ... but who have good enough accountants that they can get away with paying tax here...yet they still get a vote, and can make laws that protect there own wealth and right to vote here....that really is a scandal

[Edited on 02-11-2010 by Dr Pepper]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Prisoners getting the vote 23 database queries in 0.0124691 seconds