corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Arguments for and against the licence fee

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Arguments for and against the licence fee
p

User status: Offline
3rd Nov 10 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just need a bit of help for something I'm doing.

As above mainly, reasons for, and against the licence fee.... We all have to pay the £145.50 each year, so... what do you think about it all.
AlunJ

3rd Nov 10 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BBC should go commercial in my opinion
Aaron

3rd Nov 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£145 per year for TopGear.....not worth it IMO
mattk

3rd Nov 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only watch waterloo road and top gear, apart from that I hate TV

go commercial imo
pow
Premium Member

3rd Nov 10 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about Radio 1 though?
alan-g-w

3rd Nov 10 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
What about Radio 1 though?

You're right, this is another good reason to scrap the license fee. It'll get those annoying cunts off the radio.
pow
Premium Member

3rd Nov 10 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite like Moyles
fred7

3rd Nov 10 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think its worth it really, you watch it more than you think! only problem with it is you have to pay for it, you dont have a choice thats my only problem.
MoesTavern

3rd Nov 10 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the BBC keep making stuff like Planet Earth and joint productions with HBO like Rome then I don't mind paying it. I don't watch a thing on ITV, don't think I ever have. It's fucking shite.

[Edited on 03-11-2010 by MoesTavern]
alan-g-w

3rd Nov 10 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Quite like Moyles

'facepalm smiley'

I hate most of the Radio 1 presenters, they're all so fake and studenty.
Root

3rd Nov 10 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they should cut the channels for those that don't watch that / want to pay it

it's unfair to HAVE to buy it
deano87

3rd Nov 10 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfair you are forced to buy it and the don't call it a tax because people would be even more pissed off with it.

I think they should suppliment with paid for product placement rather than advertising. Easier to do because certain characters of soaps, sitcoms and dramas can be matched with products due to its target audience, rather than who pays the most.
Nic Barnes

3rd Nov 10 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a lot more rage towards sky for paying 40 odd quid a month and having no interest in probablyh 70% of the channels im made to pay for.
Dom

3rd Nov 10 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BBC couldn't survive in its current state if it went commercial, not without massive budget cuts across all of its programming and media outputs (TV, Radio, Web and R&D). And it'll affect a lot more than what people think ie - Freeview/Freesat, services like iPlayer (it'll end up like 4OD or DemandFive which is shit), coverage of events and sports, outdoor broadcasting (BBC Live etc), news etc.

Personally I’m all for it but I strongly believe that there needs to be a tighter regulation by the government on the spending at the BBC, particularly with the salaries of senior staff and performers/'stars'.
Gary
Premium Member

3rd Nov 10 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TV licence is rediculous!

What if i only had a TV for DVDs etc. I'd still get a rear ending from the licence folk for not paying it!
Dom

3rd Nov 10 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by glb
TV licence is rediculous!

What if i only had a TV for DVDs etc. I'd still get a rear ending from the licence folk for not paying it!

If you only intend on watching pre-recorded material and don't have any equipment able to view live streaming material (Sat/Cable box, Computer, VCR, TV etc) then you don't have to pay for a licence.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/TV_Licence
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Nov 10 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thers no excuses for it anymore, used to be the case that they couldnt stop you from tuning into it, in this digital era though they could employ a sky type system where if you pay for it you get it
Nic Barnes

3rd Nov 10 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont get why those crazy college kids who use their laptops and computers to watch tv and films also still have to have a tv license. bbc iplayer is put on the internet to watch for free. or is that free for people who have a tv license?

i really dont get it.
Chris
Premium Member

3rd Nov 10 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When was the last time you watched an advert, just use sky plus and play back 10 mins later to miss all the adverts.

You can watch iplayer with out a licence and there is some crazy thing about watching the live stream so long as the laptop is running on batteries and not connected to the mains power supply.
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Nov 10 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think your meant to watch iplayer unless you have a tv license, not technically anyway
John

3rd Nov 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you don't have an aerial you can get away with not paying it, they may come and inspect though.
Dom

3rd Nov 10 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
i dont get why those crazy college kids who use their laptops and computers to watch tv and films also still have to have a tv license. bbc iplayer is put on the internet to watch for free. or is that free for people who have a tv license?

i really dont get it.

iPlayer isn't covered under the licence fee as it's pre-recorded material, although some of the fee is put into this service.

Steve - How do you go about securing radio? We don't have a subscription radio service like America does (Sat radio etc). And as i said, the fee covers a lot lot more than just TV and Radio.
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Nov 10 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

adverts for the radio, sorted
Dom

3rd Nov 10 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i dont think your meant to watch iplayer unless you have a tv license, not technically anyway

You can watch it as it's not covered by the licence fee.
Dom

3rd Nov 10 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
adverts for the radio, sorted

Would result in a loss of stations and listeners, it'd be like listening to Heart or Kiss Likewise with TV, even if they made it PAY-TV they'd still have to advertise and introduce cuts on programming/output (no big budget programming like TopGear, Planet Earth, Major sports events like the olympics/f1/world cup etc).

The licence fee also contributes towards online content and services, freeview/freesat, R&D, news/journalism etc

[Edited on 03-11-2010 by Dom]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Arguments for and against the licence fee 22 database queries in 0.0137939 seconds