corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Council Tax

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Council Tax
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Nov 10 at 21:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My girlfriend moved in with me when she finished Uni this year, it wasn't so much an official event... she just gradually stopped going home

I kind of forgot to declare this on my council tax, meaning I've been getting the 25% reduction or whatever it is. I would have declared it if I was organised enough to remember shit like that, it genuinely just slipped my mind.

I got a letter today which was a pretty generic looking affair telling me that they're reviewing the situation of certain people - and I've got a choice to declare now, or face potential investigation. I've filled it in properly ofc, told them about my GF and have been honest(ish) about when she moved in properly - so no doubt I'll get back dated charges.

Thing I'm mainly concerned about is getting into a bit of bother with this, do I have anything to worry about? I'm guessing the letter was targeted despite being very generic and 'casual' about the whole thing, but I imagine it's not a coincidence... though, how would they know? Have I been grassed up?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AndyKent

12th Nov 10 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't worry. If you're being honest about the situation they'll just backdate the charges.

Though I'd probably take a couple of months off to make the hit smaller
Tom

12th Nov 10 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have just declared from 1 month ago, they won't be able to prove it especially if she's still getting mail at her old house?

Defo nothing to worry about (apart from the back dated charges of course )
RichR
Premium Member

12th Nov 10 at 12:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll be fine, they'll just back date it.

I informed them my missus had moved out 4 months after she had and without evidence, they took my word for it and backdated the 25% reduction; they don't seem overly fussed
Laura

13th Nov 10 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should have said she just moved in.

We issue Council Tax Sole Occupancy reviews completely randomly ever year and it's so funny the amount of forms returned stating that people 'just' moved in the day before.

But nothing gets queried.

Phone them up or send an email saying you mad e mistake and she didn't move in until the 1st October or something.
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Nov 10 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Laura
We issue Council Tax Sole Occupancy reviews completely randomly ever year and it's so funny the amount of forms returned stating that people 'just' moved in the day before.

That's what I was worried about

I felt that the letter was unlikely to be random, and didn't want to look suspicious by saying 'she just moved in'

Ah well, I'll take my licks and pay the backdated charges

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Cole

16th Nov 10 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why dont be daft just say she is movin in nrxt month

New Poll