corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » any checks i could do before m.o.t?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author any checks i could do before m.o.t?
tomo2k9

User status: Offline
21st Nov 10 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hey all gonna be putting car through m.o.t in a few weeks and just wondering is there any simple checks i can do to make sure the car is ok and will help it pass , because id rather me pick up any faults before the m.o.t tester does because then i can correct them, let me no what you do before m.o.t cheers will be big help
AshWatson

21st Nov 10 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First theres the obvious things like checking tyre tread depths and for any blebs or chunks missing in the tyre sidewalls, that all lights are fully functional although reverse isnt part of the test and that there isnt any bad condensation or even water in lamp units, that indicators flash orange/amber and not white, check front wiper blades are'nt split and clear the screen okay, front washer jets functional and provide water onto the windscreen, that there are'nt any large chips or cracks in the drivers vision part of the windscreen (not sure on the size limit for chips in screen though) and also check all seatbelts extend recoil and correctly clip and un-clip into there buckles.

If you're wanting to go further then maybe jack the car up and check for play in the wheels top to bottom and side to side, for any rusty/corroded brake pipes, that all CV joint boots are secured and are not split and leaking, check that suspension coil springs are complete and are'nt broke or fractured, check that suspension shock absorbers / dampers are'nt leaking, check that the exhaust system is'nt blowing / leaking, that all the hangers are intact and that all the rubber mounts are in good condition not split etc and depending on the age of the car check for serious corrosion or even rot to the actual vehicles chassis

Hope that helps matey

im not for 1 second saying that you should check all these things everytime an MOT comes round and I would be happy for others to add to this or even correct me if im wrong about anything
tomo2k9

21st Nov 10 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate thats all i need to no lol thanks for the quick reply and no problem about the wheels iv got bran spanking new tyres on . Its still got the cat on so should pass emitions , lights all working , except the drivers side light is more like a dull coulour when they am on low beam but the orther side is like a ice coulour think its just diferent bulbs is that ok?
AshWatson

21st Nov 10 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant see why it wont pass mate long as they both work and provide the right amount of light ( not like a candle in a jar lol) and also that the headlamp alignment is okay, but if it fails on that most garages just adjust them there n then for ya n about different colour bulbs for what they cost i'd stick 2 new bulbs in, there h4's if its a corsa b
tomo2k9

22nd Nov 10 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one mate cheers for the help
combat corsa

22nd Nov 10 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the only other thing i would add is check the rear wheel bearings as you dont what to have too much play in them only the smallest amount + you dont want no ruffness or noise

New Poll