corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Funeral Procession etiquette.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Funeral Procession etiquette.
Shell
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Dec 10 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there such a thing? Like an unwritten rule? I always stop at roundabouts etc to let it pass, regardless of right of way etc.
However today at my gran's funeral, the funeral cars began to pull out onto a main road, but some guy came FLYING up behind it, cutting off the rest of the procession from getting out but better yet, FUCKING PEEPED because it wasn't going quick enough. Never been so disgusted in my entire life.
RS6

3rd Dec 10 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

always stop give way etc sounds like just another knob on the road
mike56gte

3rd Dec 10 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what a heartless prick! no respect.
adiohead

3rd Dec 10 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just drive like normal.
DannyB
Premium Member

3rd Dec 10 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always let them go, especially if there's a load of cars behind the main car carrying the coffin, why on earth would someone want to cut them up beeping the horn is bang out of order, hope he gets VD
JonnyJ

3rd Dec 10 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a cunt

I'd let it past too, i certainly wouldnt break up the procession or start beeping, I'd have been fucking fuming.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

3rd Dec 10 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I normally drive the same for some reason turn the radio off.

Had a woman in my car the other day who crossed her heart as we went by.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
sc0ott

3rd Dec 10 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probs from essex.
ianofbhills

3rd Dec 10 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I overtook a funeral procession going over the Tay bridge once and I got flashed at, horns peeped and fist waved.

I'd obviously upset more then one car in the procession but in all honestly i couldnt see what i did wrong?

Its not like I was dangerously overtaking as I'd previously followed the procession travelling at 30mph on the approach single carriage way national speed limit road and showed respect by not overtaking or following too closely.
The procession was still doing 30mph going over the bridge which is a 50 limit and dual carriageway so i moved out and overtook.
I just put it down to some weirdo local unwritten rule thing. Its not like they rule the road.
Hammer

3rd Dec 10 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not only should you let them go you should just get out their road completely. Nothing is that important you cant show a bit of respect and common decency.
stubs

3rd Dec 10 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
I normally drive the same for some reason turn the radio off.

Had a woman in my car the other day who crossed her heart as we went by.

I'm the same, I always turn mine down... maybe it's habit from when I've had a loud car audio setup.
I often find myself trying not to make eye contact with anyone so they don't feel like I'm watching them.
I'd let the whole procession out no problem. When following one, I often find myeslf reflecting on loved ones that I've lost and there's no way I could start peeping or driving like a cunt whilst in that mindset.

It's a shame there are people like this guy, and a shame he didn't put his car in a ditch shortly after.
Sorry for your loss Shell
Shell
Premium Member

3rd Dec 10 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ianofbhills
I overtook a funeral procession going over the Tay bridge once and I got flashed at, horns peeped and fist waved.

I'd obviously upset more then one car in the procession but in all honestly i couldnt see what i did wrong?

Its not like I was dangerously overtaking as I'd previously followed the procession travelling at 30mph on the approach single carriage way national speed limit road and showed respect by not overtaking or following too closely.
The procession was still doing 30mph going over the bridge which is a 50 limit and dual carriageway so i moved out and overtook.
I just put it down to some weirdo local unwritten rule thing. Its not like they rule the road.

I know the Tay bridge well having driven over it a million times and can see your point about it being a dual carriageway, however, it's not like you drove alongside it to go down south marketgait, you overtook to get by quicker. It's a mark of respect!
Joe

3rd Dec 10 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just sounds like one of lifes cunts. Sorry for your loss Shell.
stubs

3rd Dec 10 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ianofbhills

Regardless of the speed limit of the road they're travelling in, my understanding from talking to a friend who works at a funeral directors is that they're not allowed to travel over 20/30mph whilst carrying a coffin
Shell
Premium Member

3rd Dec 10 at 18:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thank you guys.

[Edited on 03-12-2010 by Shell]
MoesTavern

3rd Dec 10 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pull over
get out and stand by car
Take hat off
ianofbhills

3rd Dec 10 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I asked around at work about my 'incident' and apparently its disrespectful to overtake a funeral procession in any circumstances as you are effectively beating the deceased to the grave.

Never heard anything like that in my life. I mean you wouldnt sit behind a tractor on the motorway doing 30 in case you beat him to market or something. Stupid fife rule.

Obviously the driver from the original post is different he is just being a total knob. Most normal people would show respect and not pull out into a funeral procession and beep their horn etc.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

3rd Dec 10 at 19:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry for your loss Shell. As others have said, whenever I see a funeral procession music gets silenced and I let them through, I once overtook a funeral procession on a dual carriageway without realising, I thought I was passing a few slow cars until I spotted the funeral cars and felt bad about it.

Another one along the lines of turning the music down and this is purely because the Corsa was loud, if ever I was passing a church where the mourners where outside, I'd always dip the clutch and coast by to try and be a bit quieter
sc0ott

3rd Dec 10 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not to mention the snow? Thats one good reason to slow down
DannyB
Premium Member

3rd Dec 10 at 19:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike B

I'd always dip the clutch and coast by to try and be a bit quieter

I do that when I drive past a police car parked up
Phillips_91

3rd Dec 10 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never overtaken a funeral procession and always let them through, i'm the same as most have said aswell, always turn the music right down as i have a loud system and find it disrespectful
am4nf

3rd Dec 10 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Phillips_91
I've never overtaken a funeral procession and always let them through, i'm the same as most have said aswell, always turn the music right down as i have a loud system and find it disrespectful

Ive started to once, until I seen the hearse and realised
N3CRO

3rd Dec 10 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't say I've ever come across one but if I did I would defo let them all pass regardless of right of way. Its just respectful imo.
BarnshaW

3rd Dec 10 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would never ever think about ovetaking or being loud or stupid around such events, really is not hard to be a bit respectful for all of 30 seconds or whatever it is.

although when i go past women on horses on the road near me i nail it past them because i am sick and tired of fucking horses on the road when there are a million fields around me.
jimmy 2.1

3rd Dec 10 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always give way to a funeral procession. It's a sign of respect to the grieving family and friends. If I'm wearing a hat i'll take it off until the procession passes. I noticed an old boy do it when we were following my dad's coffin and have done the same since.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Funeral Procession etiquette. 23 database queries in 0.0207829 seconds