corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » car accident, would you stop and help?

Poll: car accident, would you stop and help?
  should've stopped
  keep going

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author car accident, would you stop and help?
Ben G

User status: Offline
24th Dec 10 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

last night, coming home from my parent's with the missus' down an unlit country road and as i came around a bend i saw a mk4 fiesta in a field, the right way up, with hazards and lights on.

the missus' said i should stop but i drove past slowly and couldn't see anyone so carried on.

i gather he/she took a corner further up too quickly and went straight through the bushes into the field.

should i have been a good samaritan and helped? or is it just not worth the risk nowadays as they could've been on drink/drugs/had a knife or anything.
Robin
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 08:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I stopped the other day but there were 3 other cars an I saw the accident. Unlit country roads I probably wouldnt
BarnshaW

24th Dec 10 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i would have stopped to check, could have been someone injured in the field, i think if i crashed into a field and was injured i would hope someone might stop to check. if everyone drove past without checking no one would do anything
Ben G

24th Dec 10 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe i'm just too paranoid that something bad would happen to me or the girlfriend.

not worth taking the risk imo down a road with no lighting or houses for at least a mile around.

keeps playing on my mind though.
Sam
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in my Calibra at the time, some lad ran out in front of my car in an unlit country lane in deepest Worcestershire many years ago.

He was in shock, crying etc. etc. I then noticed that he rolled his Corsa B, I suspect by taking a blind corner too quickly

We called the emergency services and waited with him until they arrived, had to leave my car with hazards and full beam on to warn people in either direction it was that bloody dark!

I walked up to some old git's house down the road from the scene of the accident to ask him what the name of the road was so I could tell the emergency services, he didn't seem arsed about offering any help or taking in the lad or whatever. Was too busy moaning to me about how people drive too quickly round that bend and into his garden wall etc. then tells me to close the gate on my way out.

People eh!
BarnshaW

24th Dec 10 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all the reasons above is why i would have stopped, what if the person was seriously injured in the field next to the car, park the car up, lock it up and go have a look, failing that if your too much of a wimp then phone the police and let them know
AndyKent

24th Dec 10 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the circumstances. I'd hate to stop and check and then have the next person who comes round the bend plough into the side of my car because they're rubbernecking.
RCoughtrie

24th Dec 10 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would of just kept driving past.

A few years ago my mate chris was coming home from work down some country lanes and seen a van in the feild, he stop over and ran down to see if everyone was okay only to get battered round the head and knocked out, when he woke he was wrapped in an old carpit with no trousers or pants on only to find the guy pushing his locking nuts deep into his anus.
BarnshaW

24th Dec 10 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wtf
Sam
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gazza808

24th Dec 10 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've stopped a few times being a first aider I try and help out, but if I smell booze or suspect drugs , I just leave em,
Ben G

24th Dec 10 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RCoughtrie

A few years ago my mate chris was coming home from work down some country lanes and seen a van in the feild, he stop over and ran down to see if everyone was okay only to get battered round the head and knocked out, when he woke he was wrapped in an old carpit with no trousers or pants on only to find the guy pushing his locking nuts deep into his anus.

this is the sort of deliverance shit that would happen to me or yvonne. not taking that chance

and i couldn't phone police as i don't know the name of the road just that it's between upminster and rainham which is no help
BarnshaW

24th Dec 10 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuck em then, they should have picked a better named road to have potentially crashed on.
Jamie-C

24th Dec 10 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have just drove past. I'd be shit scared of what could happen to me, I hate them back roads with no lights!

If its a lit road or day light I would definitely stop.
AndyKent

24th Dec 10 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RCoughtrie

"My mate"

Yeah yeah, you've got no-one fooled.
BarnshaW

24th Dec 10 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am actually quite shocked the amount of people who would just drive past and do nothing.
Ben G

24th Dec 10 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've stopped before at an accident where a motorbike ploughed into a car, but that was in daylight in a town.

this is just too risky though.
Rich H

24th Dec 10 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would, but then country lanes as you describe are like that everywhere round here
Eck
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
I am actually quite shocked the amount of people who would just drive past and do nothing.

Likewise. If you don't have the balls to get out and check, then surely calling the emergency services would suffice? Ben, what phone do you and your mrs have? If either of you have a smartphone, you could easily find out your location and give it to the ES.
Doug

24th Dec 10 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is never pleasent being first on the scene of an RTA. I have happened on a few and always stop.

The only time I would drive past is if there is no sign of damage to the car. Sadly in this day and age people will stage fake accidents to steal your car.

If there is genuine damage then you would have to be pretty sick to drive past and do nothing.

Last one the people were so thankful that they sent me vouchers to replace my clothes their blood ruined
Mike GSi

24th Dec 10 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW

Me too, as you mentioned id like to think that if someone would stop without hesitation if i was upside down in a field.

I also dont see why people would think they would get knifed just for checking if they're ok. I highly doubt folk that have potentially limbs hanging off would be in the right frame of mind for giving any tom dick and harry a beating etc.

Every scene i have come across i have stopped to help, one of which the man was dead

I would also feel like shit if there was a news article about the accident and it was a fatality, with police apealing for witnesses.

TBF 80% of the roads i use are country roads/lanes. perhaps this is why they dont bother me!?
Jambo

24th Dec 10 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doug

I wouldnt stop, unless there where already people stopped and helping.

Can't trust the police.
SportBoy

24th Dec 10 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit of a no brainer imo. you stop and help, least call emergency services if you dont.

[Edited on 24-12-2010 by SportBoy]
Doug

24th Dec 10 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mike that's awful. I hope I am never in the position to deal with a fatality.

I am sure I would cope but that is the sort of shit that stays with you for a while.
Brett
Premium Member

24th Dec 10 at 10:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Treat others as you'd like to be treated. If you'd want someone to stop and help you, then you should do the same. I would anyway and tbh in that situation it wouldn't even cross my mind that I was going to get stabbed or somethin You can usually gauge the situation anyway unless you're a retard.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » car accident, would you stop and help? 22 database queries in 0.0169539 seconds