corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Cheap man's Corsa! - Opinions Page 5 please :)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cheap man's Corsa! - Opinions Page 5 please :)
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
26th Dec 10 at 22:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got bored with having a warranty and not being able to tinker then a woman at work was selling a Corsa for a rock bottom price so I snapped it up!

It's a filthy horrible 1.2 V8 Merit, no glovebox, no fag lighter with 4 speed gearbox but I only paid £60 for it with 6 months tax and a months MOT on it so I could refund the tax and have the scrap man take it away and it owe me nothing.

Few problems with it:

- Driver seat was FUUUCCKKKEDD - insides coming out of it, seatbelt wouldn't even clip in, seat snapped off subframe and worst of all one of the hooks to attach it into the floor has magically disappeared.
- Main beam "flash" wasn't working
- Wipers have about 4" of play in them
- 1 (which turned out to be 4) bald tyres on it - she told me one was "on the mark". When I actually went to drive it for the first time I found all 4 were bad enough to give me points.

First problem was the bald tyres, couldn't drive it like that so after finding one good wheel with tyres on it in my garage and a small headscratch, I phoned Neo off here to ask if he still had the steels that he took off his Corsa like 3 and a half years ago knocking around at home. Answer was yes and 20 minutes later she was sat on 4 practically new tyres! Cost: £0 and 0p! Cheers Mike

The main beam flash was easy, I whipped the stalk out, bridged the right pins and the main beam worked as it should. Quick eBay scout scored me a 99p indicator stalk + delivery to work. Fitted that and she now flashes

A quick scout on MIGWEB scored me a set of FREE Corsa LS seats from a guy all of 10 miles down the road, loaded up the trusty Prius and bought them back. Unfortunately, although they were in far better nick than the drivers seat in there, the seatbelt still refused to stay in so I binned all but the drivers seat and went on the hunt for more. I'm hoping that OJC is gunna be a winner for me when I pop down to his on Wednesday to collect some more seats from him for some dollar. I'm also hoping to secure a deal with a friend in the future on some Cali leather (and if I don't I'll get some anyway cos I do love them!).

The worse bit was the lack of a hook to secure the drivers seat to the floor, an obvious MOT fail and pretty dangerous tbh! Called on an old friend of mine and in return for helping him and his son out with some electrical work on a Capri he welded me in a new hook It's not the prettiest job in the world but it's cost me nothing and I'm sure you could lift the car on it. Plus, once the carpet is down and the seat is over the top of it, you can't see it and the seat doesn't budge an inch!

Next job was starting to clean the thing, the woman that had it before obviously didn't have a clue how to wash a car lol!

Starting inside because it's too cold to be washing the outside of the car at the moment!

Seats out, before:

1.5 hours with the hoover on later:

Also, my next door neighbour very kindly donated me some mats he had in his garage for free so they went down, pretty good fit and like shag pile carpet!

I also have started on (while the seats are out) wiring in the heated seat loom (home-made) which I'll write about later. No glovebox but heated leather

More to come...

[Edited on 26-01-2011 by pow]
pow
Premium Member

26th Dec 10 at 23:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This morning my parents and sister buggered off to a family thing early so I took the time to work on the car a little

Heated seats

Most of the stuff came out of what I had in the garage so costing me naff all. While the seats were out, I thought I'd get the wires up to the gearstick area at least

So, centre console out to locate conveniently placed earth location - where the heated pads' "earth" would go to:

Quick raid of stock found a nut that fitted on perfectly.

I used 17amp Halfords cable and blue crimps to start the loom, bit of black wire from each "slit" in the carpet to a ring, bolted to earth location:

Ran some red wire alongside that for the feed from the switch, just bought that up to the gear stick area for now:

Carpet down and end terminated for heated seats - one male and one female to stop any accidental confusion:

Then boxing day tea called

Knocked up a little wiring diagram to show how to use the original switches as well. Going to use more spade connectors on the correct numbered terminals on the switches:

I'll write a guide when I've got them in a working as well.
pow
Premium Member

26th Dec 10 at 23:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still need to so the wipers, a friend is going to get me a set on Wednesday in return for me setting his wifes computer up so they can just get bolted on. Top POW tip, if the wiper won't come off the splines, a lil tap with a hammer on the tip of the spline/threaded nut persuades them off

Also have some oil (£10 for 10W40 semi from Wilkos!), a filter (£1 on halfs trade) and loads of coolant from changing the KA's coolant to change all them, perhaps tomorrow if the weather allows.

Also got a nice bottle of T-cut to use on it.

Please don't tell me "theres no point", I just like having something to play with, it may just be a fix up and sell project or (it looks this way) a keep and play project, perhaps with some engine changing in the future just to play with it. If I break it, it's no problem, it's just all a bit of fun and games while I'm living at home and can spare £20 here and there to play with it.

[Edited on 26-12-2010 by pow]
ramboreynolds

26th Dec 10 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

It's a filthy horrible 1.2 V8 Merit

1.2 V8!!!!! cor i bet that things got some POWER!!!! javascript:icon('') looks like it could be a good project base once you get all the lits bits sorted keep up the good work (Y)
zanda101

27th Dec 10 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doing good so far. Another car saved from the scrapyard
pow
Premium Member

28th Dec 10 at 00:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pow's top tip for the day, heatgun on a bumper really does work!

Washed and Tcuted it today, ran out of light for pictures! More about that tomorrow!
Jamie-C

28th Dec 10 at 00:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to keep an eye on this, for some reason I have a feeling its going to turn out nice , god knows why.

I need to try out that heat gun method, not in the current weather though
pow
Premium Member

28th Dec 10 at 10:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldn't belive it, got a £10 heatgun from screwfix and it's really bought the colour back to the bumpers. It's a little patchy but a little bumper gel should hide that nicely.
3i_gaz

28th Dec 10 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think this will end up a nice little car too for some reason lol will keep an eye
pow
Premium Member

28th Dec 10 at 13:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys

£10 TITAN heatgun from screwfix - I really bought this to do the KA as that has all black bumpers and really suffered from bumper fade but I thought I'd risk melting bumpers on this first!

I washed the bumpers when i washed the car and also gave them a quick wipe with some panel prep wipes to remove any shit left on them. Produced the above result which I am VERY pleased with!

Just took these from the front door:

I dried the rear bumper and arches off with a towel as I wanted to see how good/bad the heatgun had done in the light!
Jamie-C

28th Dec 10 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats done a great job! I'm off to get one tomorrow
Bonney

28th Dec 10 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I have a set of LS wheel trims in the loft, Will have a root through and see. If they are there you can have them if you pay the postage.

Came off my corsa, They are a bit tatty but a can of silver they should be reet

Similar to these

Daveskater
Premium Member

28th Dec 10 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BEAST

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
pow
Premium Member

28th Dec 10 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate, for a tenner you can't loose!

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68998/Power-Tools/Heat-Guns/Titan-TTB216HTG-2000W-Heat-Gun

New seats tomorrow providing I can get out of bed, feeling rough at the moment!
Ojc

29th Dec 10 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got an awesome heatgun I'm gonna set about the mine as well.
Phillips_91

29th Dec 10 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did that on mine aswell, comes out really well, just have to do it every couple of weeks to keep it up but everytime you do it you have to be more carefull, i melted 2 of my arches last time and also watch the arches as they start to bend away from the car with the heat
Neo

29th Dec 10 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
First problem was the bald tyres, couldn't drive it like that so after finding one good wheel with tyres on it in my garage and a small headscratch, I phoned Neo off here to ask if he still had the steels that he took off his Corsa like 3 and a half years ago knocking around at home. Answer was yes and 20 minutes later she was sat on 4 practically new tyres! Cost: £0 and 0p! Cheers Mike

pow
Premium Member

29th Dec 10 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OH. BABY.

Trip to reading for a little cash returned this little lot!

Full sport interior
4 Sport Alloys with tyres
Bilstien shocks and springs.

FUCK KNOWS how I got that all in the worlds most impractical hatchback
pow
Premium Member

29th Dec 10 at 21:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just had a horrible thought, they better have the little tabs to hold them to the subframes

EDIT they do

[Edited on 29-12-2010 by pow]
Daveskater
Premium Member

30th Dec 10 at 21:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks proper wedged in the Alfa there mate

I've got a suggestion for you btw. MV6 it

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Rich H

31st Dec 10 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm impressed that all fitted in the Mito
pow
Premium Member

1st Jan 11 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm shocked it all went in as well

Put the wheels, front seats and did the front bumpers and arches yesterday then took me 15 minutes to start it.... just wouldn't fire, eventually spluttered into life on 3 cylinders, gave it a squirt of the throttle and she ran... bit of white smoke though lol! Might go and give it a good run round the block later. Started everytime on the turn of the key after that!
VegasPhil
Premium Member

2nd Jan 11 at 11:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome, a Corsa B sprucing kit

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Ben G

2nd Jan 11 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like you've got a dead body in the pasenger seat
Mark.W

2nd Jan 11 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
looks like you've got a dead body in the pasenger seat

I was going to say the same thing

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Cheap man's Corsa! - Opinions Page 5 please :) 24 database queries in 0.0201430 seconds