corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Paying insurance for a car you don't have?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Paying insurance for a car you don't have?
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Jan 11 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know this may sound strange, but my wife and I are on a multi-car policy and as such we have received discounts for the insurance on both our cars (at the time the guy from the insurance company said to me if we cancelled the insurance on one of the cars the insurance on the other would revert to a normal policy and we'd have to pay extra money that the discount has given us on it).

My insurance is due to be renewed next week on my car but I am thinking of selling my car soon as I want something newer/more reliable etc. and I don't want to spend about £600 on repairs to a car that's only realistically worth about £150!

Would I be able to pay the renewal premium, sell my car and then when I get my new car tell them about the change of car then?

I'm guessing this would be OK as I have paid the premium and obviously the new owner won't be able to use my insurance as only myself and my wife are named drivers on my policy.

I'll be phoning up the insurance company tomorrow but I thought I'd ask on here first if anyone has been through anything similar.

pow
Premium Member

3rd Jan 11 at 10:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You shouldn't do it tbh
Pop

3rd Jan 11 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the person you sell it to doesn't insure it then and they have an accident you will still show as the insured on the insurance database.
Doug

3rd Jan 11 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is illegal for a car to have two insurance policies running simultaneously as far as I am aware.
Jambo

3rd Jan 11 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
It is illegal for a car to have two insurance policies running simultaneously as far as I am aware.
John

3rd Jan 11 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There was a thread about this the other day.

I thought it was illegal but it's apparently not, you still shouldn't do it.
taylorboosh

3rd Jan 11 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not illegal
richc

3rd Jan 11 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Black hole.....
Doug

3rd Jan 11 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can anyone reference the insurance 'act' that says it is ok to have multiple polices for one vehicle?
Edd

3rd Jan 11 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Can anyone reference the insurance 'act' that says it is ok to have multiple polices for one vehicle?

can you reference the act that says you cant?

Sam
Premium Member

3rd Jan 11 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well when I speak with the insurance company tomorrow I'll tell you all what they tell me.
Doug

3rd Jan 11 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edd
quote:

can you reference the act that says you cant?

In no way can I be bothered to trawl through legislation to find it
Edd

3rd Jan 11 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so when you said it was illegal you really didnt know?
dean101287

3rd Jan 11 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got told you couldn't have two insurance policies on one car. Don't know if its illegal or not but that's what I got told.

[Edited on 03-01-2011 by dean101287]

[Edited on 03-01-2011 by dean101287]
taylorboosh

3rd Jan 11 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i have two policies on one car at the minute and its fine... We are both insured to drive just on seperate polucies
John

3rd Jan 11 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did the insurance say it was fine or have you just got away with it because you haven't crashed yet?
Doug

3rd Jan 11 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edd
so when you said it was illegal you really didnt know?

Nope. Hence why I said "As far as I am aware".
Pop

3rd Jan 11 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[Edited on 04-01-2011 by Pop]
antnee

3rd Jan 11 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AFAIK you can have multiple policies on a car, just in the event of an accident you can only claim on one.

As when you take your car to a garage, their policy covers their employees to drive it but your policy is still covering it for tpft
Pop

3rd Jan 11 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
AFAIK you can have multiple policies on a car, just in the event of an accident you can only claim on one.

As when you take your car to a garage, their policy covers their employees to drive it but your policy is still covering it for tpft

If a car was insured on 2 policies then the insurers would have to pay out equally under a priciple known as contribution.

If you take a car to a garage you are leaving it in their care and custody. They will have some kind of trade policy that will cover the vehicle whilst in their posession.

[Edited on 03-01-2011 by Pop]
John

3rd Jan 11 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't like my chances of getting a payout for a car, unless both companies have agreed, which they won't.
Pop

3rd Jan 11 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Would I be able to pay the renewal premium, sell my car and then when I get my new car tell them about the change of car then?

I'm guessing this would be OK as I have paid the premium and obviously the new owner won't be able to use my insurance as only myself and my wife are named drivers on my policy.

I'll be phoning up the insurance company tomorrow but I thought I'd ask on here first if anyone has been through anything similar.

In this scenario this is what could happen...

You sell your car to someone else and leave your policy open. They then have a fault claim whilst you both have a policy in force. Under the principle of contribution all insurers that have a policy will pay out equally, in this case 50/50.

[Edited on 04-01-2011 by Pop]
antnee

3rd Jan 11 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

In this scenario this is what could happen...

You sell your car to someone else and leave your policy open. They then have a fault claim whilst you both have a policy in force. Under the principle of contribution all insurers that have a policy will pay out equally, in this case 50/50. You would AFAIK lose your NCD at this point for an accident you didn't have on a vehicle you don't now own.

If it was a fault claim, then the policy with the driver named would pay out.
Pop

3rd Jan 11 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But they would both be named drivers under their own policy on the car.
antnee

3rd Jan 11 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont know if I have mis-understood your last point,

Are you saying if A sells the car to B, both A and B have their own policies, B crashes?

If so, A's insurance wouldn't be covering B to drive that car, so only B's policy would pay.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Paying insurance for a car you don't have? 22 database queries in 0.0135529 seconds