corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Electricians - Wiring question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Electricians - Wiring question
Rob_Corsa

User status: Offline
   9th Feb 11 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got to replace the Extractor fan in my bathroom. Its a 16W 4" unit and currently is wired with Red/Yellow/Blue wires in a flat grey flex. I'm guessing this is the old colour scheme, whats the new scheme and where can I get some from? The replacement fan i'm fitting is of the same size/power.

Thanks
sand-eel

9th Feb 11 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

neutral = blue
live = brown
earth = yellow/green
C2RL R

9th Feb 11 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you replacing the cable? Tbh you shouldn't even be touching it at all! If it was me I would put coloured sleeving over each conductor at both ends so you can get it to conform with the current colour code. You don't need to replace the cable.
The colour code is:
Phase/live - brown
Neutral - blue
Earth - green and yellow
Bart

9th Feb 11 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

connect red with brown, blue with blue and yellow with yellow.
Rob_Corsa

9th Feb 11 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
Are you replacing the cable? Tbh you shouldn't even be touching it at all! If it was me I would put coloured sleeving over each conductor at both ends so you can get it to conform with the current colour code. You don't need to replace the cable.
The colour code is:
Phase/live - brown
Neutral - blue
Earth - green and yellow

I do need to replace the cable as the current cable isnt long enough due to the terminals being in a different position on the new fan. Its got no earth, just neutral, permanent live and switched live(by the light switch).
I forgot to mention both fans are the timer versions.

[Edited on 09-02-2011 by Rob_Corsa]
jimmy 2.1

9th Feb 11 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like they've used the yellow as the switched live on your old fan. If you trace back the original cable red and black will probably go to a junction box while the yellow goes to bathroom switch.
ash_corsa

9th Feb 11 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its old 3core and earth colours.

Red will be live, Yellow switched live and Blue neutral. The earth will prob be not connected as most fans are double insulated and dont require an earth.

If you dont know what your doing, get a spark to do it for you.
MarkSport

10th Feb 11 at 07:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As ash said really, its pretty straight forward although if you dont feel confident its best to get someone in. I have a drum of 1.5 twin and earth still left from some of my jobs.If you need a hand or need it fitting I'm not far away.

Also, I take it the cable is accessable from the loft and not chopped into the wall? most bathroom timer switches go off the light so they have a 1 minute upto 6 minute cut off

let me know if you get stuck, Im on here daily
Rob_Corsa

10th Feb 11 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Mark n Ash.

The cable is only about 12" long and runs to the fused junction box in the photo below. I just need to extend it a little as the terminal blocks in the new fan are in a different position and hence I need a longer piece of cable.

Cheers for the offer of help mark, I should be fine wiring up tho, im an electronics engineer by trade but i'm just not familiar with the wire colours.

Rob
MarkSport

11th Feb 11 at 02:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah no problem mate. go to an electrical wholesaler.you will pay about 50p for a meter for 1.5 twin and earth. if you want it to come on with the light just wire the brown to switch live and neutral as normal.if you want a permenant feed (use a switched spur) and go to the permenant live instead of swirch live with the brown. cut the earth out the cable and it will be fine

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Electricians - Wiring question 22 database queries in 0.0117879 seconds