corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Private plates....are they worth the money and hassle?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Private plates....are they worth the money and hassle?
Mark.W

User status: Offline
14th Feb 11 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was thinking of getting a private plate for my astra but can only see a couple decent ones which aint much money but dunno it its work all the hassle of chopping and changing them over and transfer fees each time.

The 2 iv got in mind is

MW02 OLY - MW is my initials and everyone know me as Wooly hence my old user name on here wooly101uk and the number 2 means noting really or could always say i got this for my second which the astra really is.

http://www.newreg.co.uk/search/preview_registration.plate?euro=none&digit_style=Standard&side=front&preview=Update+Preview+%C2%BB&page=&registration=&type_of_reg=&registration_display=&arrived_from=&alphabetical=&preview_reg[]=MW02+OLY

Or

W28 0LY - Basically look at the 8 as an O really and thats it the 8 means nothing at all.

http://www.newreg.co.uk/search/preview_registration.plate?euro=none&digit_style=Standard&side=front&preview=Update+Preview+%C2%BB&page=&registration=&type_of_reg=&registration_display=&arrived_from=&alphabetical=&preview_reg[]=W28+OLY

I feel the second one looks a little better.There the only 2 i can see really.

Your thoughts?? its for an 08 plate astra.

Colin

14th Feb 11 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hassle if you change your car often, & expensive!!

But can look good at the same time. I guess I like mine but its just a arse trying to sell a car, having to remove it 1st & pay 105 quid!!
Colin

14th Feb 11 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go with the 2nd one as the 1st will just look like your astra's an 02 plate.

Dont like the new style ones unless it clearly says what you want it to read!!
Adam_B

14th Feb 11 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first one will just make the car look old. 2nd one doesn't look like anything special imo, but i dont really get private plates unless there obvious (expensive)

[Edited on 14-02-2011 by Adam_B]
Mertin

14th Feb 11 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like my plate and they often make a car look much better and more personalised. Plus if you have a really clean and tidy car you can hide the age well
Graham88

14th Feb 11 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's gotta be obviously private IMO. The first one just looks like a normal plate. 6 letters or less is my rule for a private plate. I would love one for my bike but can no longer get single numbers in the same style (G6 CRO), can only get G13 up to G20 and to me it doesn't look as good. It doesn't mean anything to anyone else but it's private to me and people recognise me for it, so I love it and it's worth the hassle but I then I don't change car as often as some.
Mark.W

14th Feb 11 at 00:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's one thing iv noticed about a lot of private plates you look at it and think wtf does that stand for

Even for and exspensive plate i can't find that look obvious apart from M208 ARK whick looks obvious but is around 1k.

Don't think im one for changing cars often,iv had the corsa over 4 years and do plan on keeping the astra for a few years if it not riddled with faults.

[Edited on 14-02-2011 by Mark.W]
Graham88

14th Feb 11 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are common nowadays compared to how they used to be. I would still like a funny plate that people would crack a smile at but they are all long gone now and any that are for sale are silly money!

Yep that's the thing, something that remotely said "Graham" was stupid money, same for any word really.

I bought my girlfriend T13 HHA and her name is Tisha, and only £250, I was well chuffed with that...
Colin

14th Feb 11 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want a decent one sign up to DVLA auctions & stick a few cheeky bids in on the dateless ones!!

I saw 11 LET on there the other week & the reserve was only a few hundred quid!! Thought about someone on here with a LET when I saw it
Mark.W

14th Feb 11 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

W28 OLY IS £404

MW02 OLY IS £254

This includes all all fees and vat.
Neil

14th Feb 11 at 01:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like mine. Makes the car look smarter and hides the age. Wouldn't bother with a new style one mind, look crap and just change the age the car looks rather than looking like a private plate.
xa0s
Banned

14th Feb 11 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've wanted one for ages but never saw one that I liked, I don't like my surname and getting anything based around 'Luke' is near on impossible... I then saw 'X4 OSX' and loved it so bought it there and then. It won't mean anything to anyone else but it's very distinctive and will be remembered etc.
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

14th Feb 11 at 10:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got TA51 MES on mine.
Ojc

14th Feb 11 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you go about selling one?

I've got C18 VXR on the Corsa but I'd sell it for decent money.
JordanR

14th Feb 11 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love mine, makes it look like a different car. Worth it imo!
A2H GO

14th Feb 11 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive spent over £1000 transfering mine alone in the 7 years since I bought it.

Also, just spent another £35 to extend the retention period. Seriously 35 fucking pounds to send me another peice of paper I already had!

Worth it when its on AND if your keeping you car for a long time.
Mark.W

14th Feb 11 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im leaning more toward the W28 OLY

tried getting ones like W30 W40 ECT but nothing like that available,so the 8 is the closest to an 0 i can get.

Did see a good one for the astra but would be a pointless one years down the line when i change cars again.. it was T16 VXL (1.6T vauxhall)

[Edited on 14-02-2011 by Mark.W]
pow
Premium Member

14th Feb 11 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have P8OWW on my car and I love it, we've also just bought my Mum S200 LJP for her SLK200 (LJP her initials) mainly to cover the age of the car but also because it's a personal plate for her. The fact it's 200 shows it's personal IMO
Pete_vxl

14th Feb 11 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

P12 VXL. Cost me about £150 so far putting it on my gsi then my vectra and potentially a new car in acouple of weeks.
Mark.W

15th Feb 11 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a bad plate that Pete.Does the 12 mean anything?
Steve
Premium Member

15th Feb 11 at 00:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

people will think your called oly
Mark.W

15th Feb 11 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben J

15th Feb 11 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love my plate. Makes me look like a poncy sod but people always comment. Helps when you've got a 3 letter name tho.

And swapping between cars isn't much hassle.
Graeme
Premium Member

15th Feb 11 at 09:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought mine when I was 15, C4 WLK for £250 at the time but it's been on about 7 cars/bikes so has cost me alot to transfer. Couldn't get rid of it though.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

15th Feb 11 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had a private plate on every car except my hilux, i dont mind paying as i like feeling special

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Private plates....are they worth the money and hassle? 23 database queries in 0.1440411 seconds