corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Electricians / Building Services engineers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Electricians / Building Services engineers
ryzer

User status: Offline
22nd Feb 11 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right chaps / chapettes,

I was thinking of starting my own business, Facilities Management, Its very much a thought at the moment. But I work in the market now and have done for a few years now and I have found a niche.

Does anyone here work for themselves as an electrical contractor? need a decent company up in the north, and one in the south, if im going to get this ball rolling.

They need to be capable of doing all relevant yearly inspections, like 5 Year peridodic inspections, PAT test, need 2391 certified & 16th or 17th edition engineers.

Alongside this it would be helpful if they also had HVAC experience too, Gas handling and all that.

anyone?
whitter45

22nd Feb 11 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wo do you work for now
I work for what used to a HVAC BMS compnay but we have expanded at such a rate that we do loads now

Also lost alot of engineers to smaller system houses

HVAC industry is tough the moment with very small margins and business even doing work at a loss

ryzer

22nd Feb 11 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for GSH plc at the moment, have done for a few years now, but I have found a niche which wont be a massive earner straight off but has serious potential.

using a subbie will cut into my profit margin, but it reduces the need for a investment to get the ball rolling.
whitter45

22nd Feb 11 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

done work with GSH in the past

Good luck with the venture

You obviously will know it but the industry is based on relationships and cost so if you have the right budget and have neough contacts at the right levels within orgainsiations then you wil be fine

JCI are recruiting big at the monent
XE Col
Premium Member

22nd Feb 11 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://pilkington-electrical.co.uk/default.aspx
ryzer

22nd Feb 11 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent, thanks mate, how do you know them?
XE Col
Premium Member

22nd Feb 11 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do some work with them, all accreditations on there
Mad Moe

22nd Feb 11 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dodd Group are an M&E Company I had good experiences of when running a couple of national contracts for Carillion
bwbw

22nd Feb 11 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for Balfour Beatty Engineering Services as a Mechanical Engineer, one thing there is a definate gap in the market for is FM side. BB workplace is our equivilant however they're about as useful as a chocolate frying pan!!
ryzer

23rd Feb 11 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Market is saturated with different contractors, but no middle man, and clients cant be arsed dealing with multiple contractors, they want a one stop shop, which is easier when your a tiny company, with small clients
whitter45

23rd Feb 11 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bwbw
I work for Balfour Beatty Engineering Services as a Mechanical Engineer, one thing there is a definate gap in the market for is FM side. BB workplace is our equivilant however they're about as useful as a chocolate frying pan!!

Yes I am working on a hughe project with BB workplace and they aren't the best
whitter45

23rd Feb 11 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ryzer
The Market is saturated with different contractors, but no middle man, and clients cant be arsed dealing with multiple contractors, they want a one stop shop, which is easier when your a tiny company, with small clients

I disgaree if its big projects

They will not put all their eggs in one basket unless you can offer something unqiue

Big jobs will source work to multiple contractors so one company cant bend the client over and rape them
bwbw

23rd Feb 11 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:
Originally posted by bwbw

Yes I am working on a hughe project with BB workplace and they aren't the best

Aren't the best is an understatement!!
ryzer

23rd Feb 11 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:
Originally posted by ryzer

I disgaree if its big projects

They will not put all their eggs in one basket unless you can offer something unqiue

Big jobs will source work to multiple contractors so one company cant bend the client over and rape them

true, thats why i said above to keep it small, make the customers life easier, the big clients will employ their own Facilities Managers to organise the subbies anyway.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Electricians / Building Services engineers 22 database queries in 0.0598300 seconds