corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » HGV drivers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HGV drivers
Chris C

User status: Offline
24th Feb 11 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking into doing my C + E liecence ( old class 1 & 2 ) as i'm sick too death at what I do at the moment.

What is a realisitc wage of a class 1 or 2 driver ??

Any help would be great
Ben D

24th Feb 11 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Planning on doing the same myself later in the year, So i would be interested in what kind of wages you could expect.
Chris C

24th Feb 11 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been quoted £2100 for both by one company.

I don't mind paying it as long as I'll make more than what I'm on now.
Leighton

24th Feb 11 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would say the bigger problem would be getting a job, i think they are getting harder to get at the moment
Chris C

24th Feb 11 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My father in law drives tesco petrol tanker, he thinks he will be able to get my foot in the door once i've got a year experience
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

24th Feb 11 at 22:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know Nick-S does it. Not sure he's driving Class 1 yet, he's got it but I think he's still driving Class 2 stuff atm. I know he was out of work for a while because there was very little going at the time, don't know if it's picked up since.
Mike
Premium Member

24th Feb 11 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris C
My father in law drives tesco petrol tanker, he thinks he will be able to get my foot in the door once i've got a year experience

That's generally the problem for new drivers, everyone wants experience so actually getting the experience is a ballache
Twitch

24th Feb 11 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what i know there. isnt many young drivers out the for HGV so im sure they may start looking for replacements.
Chris C

24th Feb 11 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In two mind wether it's worth it at the moment, also only 24 so will insurance be an issue ??
Mike
Premium Member

24th Feb 11 at 22:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nick's 24 and he's been driving for a few years now so shouldn't be too much of an issue
Ben D

24th Feb 11 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol I'm the same age mate and was wondering the same thing, I think forthe 1st year or 2 you'll be best off taking whatever crap jobs you can just for the experience regardless of the pay, I'm just going to look the driving agencies as they usually take anyone on.
Liam

24th Feb 11 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At 24 it should be easier to get a job, alot of places won't pay the insurance for drivers under 24.

I would try and get some agency work, that'll get you the experience you need. I want to do mine this year, although it'll probably be later on in the year now.
B3KAN

24th Feb 11 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Leighton
i would say the bigger problem would be getting a job, i think they are getting harder to get at the moment

I agree, ive just done my C and finding a job is the hard part off it all, everywhere inc agencys want people with experiance So unless you have a job lined up its not really worth doing imo
Mark B

24th Feb 11 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im making about 400 a week working 8.00-5.00 driving a tipper for a tarmac company but alot of the time im on the tools aswell

[Edited on 24-02-2011 by Mark B]
Mertin

25th Feb 11 at 03:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All depends what your driving tbh. We have 2xtimber lorries that are never short of work and 2xbulkers and had 1xshunter that always had a load. Now sold the shunter so just got the 2 timber and 2 bulker and we manage fine
You looking at working for supermarkets or what?
deano87

25th Feb 11 at 06:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Multi drop haulage companies are where it's at imho. With the likes of Palletforce and other palletised of networks a lot of companies are doing well. As are K+N.
Chris C

25th Feb 11 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't mind what or who I drive for in the first year, as long as I can clear £24-£25k...
205tom

25th Feb 11 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
I know Nick-S does it. Not sure he's driving Class 1 yet, he's got it but I think he's still driving Class 2 stuff atm. I know he was out of work for a while because there was very little going at the time, don't know if it's picked up since.

Doin class 2 recovery driving for FAM, looks like a little boy driving a truck hah

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » HGV drivers 22 database queries in 0.1529250 seconds