corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The Price of Diesel..

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Price of Diesel..
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
3rd Mar 11 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

..Whats going on? It seems to be slowly creepign up in comparisson to Petrol? It was only last year the gap in price was about 2p per litre (because clearly Diesel is becoming the fuel of choice) but now I've noticed places selling Unleaded for £1.28 and Diesel for £1.36.

This does alarm me because surely Diesel is cheaper to produce as being a heavy oil it is less refined than Petroleum and requires less crude oil for its production.

Whats going on?
daymoon
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 08:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuel prices make no sense

2 years ago crude oil was more expensive than it is now, yet fuel prices were a lot lower....

LeeM

3rd Mar 11 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

more diesels on the road getting better economy so less revenue from the tax for the government, so they stick the price up
whitter45

3rd Mar 11 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly diesel is more popular now in terms of how much is biught

although there are still more petrols the dervs do more miles as most are company cars/vans etc

Therefore the more its used the more they will increase the cost

I think within 18 months the norm will be above £1.50 a litre
DaveyLC

3rd Mar 11 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
more diesels on the road getting better economy so less revenue from the tax for the government, so they stick the price up

There is no way that consumption is lower on average and the margins are higher plus BP/Shell etc. have been reporting record profits so lets not start pedaling that crap.
djgritt
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 09:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't take less crude to produce - the basic diesel product prior to further refining such as Sulphur content reduction etc is produced in the same distillation towers that other oil products and fuels are being collected from, it just condenses a little sooner than Naptha (used for Petrol)

The Refinery I'm working on at the moment were saying yesterday about how they are emphasising on the production of Diesel as there is more profit in it for them at the moment.
Russ

3rd Mar 11 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i paid 1.39 for ultimate
chrisritch

3rd Mar 11 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
i paid 1.39 for ultimate

whitter45

3rd Mar 11 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i paid 1.39 for ultimate

why bother - Dervs are less affected by grade of fuel so these VPOWER and Ultimate stuff is pure marketting and a quick way of adding 5p/litre on top of derv
pow
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45

although there are still more petrols the dervs do more miles as most are company cars/vans etc

I agree with all of this
DaveyLC

3rd Mar 11 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
It doesn't take less crude to produce - the basic diesel product prior to further refining such as Sulphur content reduction etc is produced in the same distillation towers that other oil products and fuels are being collected from, it just condenses a little sooner than Naptha (used for Petrol)

The Refinery I'm working on at the moment were saying yesterday about how they are emphasising on the production of Diesel as there is more profit in it for them at the moment.

Now I'm no chemist but I did study chemistry and from what I remember the higher up the fractional distillation process you go the more raw crude is required to produce the equivilent volumes to the outputs lower down and the less energy is required to produce that. Therfore there are reduced material and energy costs.
DaveyLC

3rd Mar 11 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

....Oh and its safer to store and transport.
DaveyLC

3rd Mar 11 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:

I agree with all of this

IMHO its total bollocks, the only reason they crank up the price is because modern common rail diesels are so economical and a rather recent fad therefore the percieved overall cost to the customer appears to be less in the long term... Go to places in france, spain, italy or germany where diesels have generally been the NORM and you'll find its always been cheaper. So why in this country when disel is becoming the norm is it getting more expensive? There is no way on this earth that the oil companies have "been unable to predict this trend" so their production capabilities are too low.. That is a total and utter crock of shit.
whitter45

3rd Mar 11 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not about protecting revenue, because even if dervs are being more efficient people are doing far more miles so the consumption of Derv is increasing thus they will increase the cost

Remeber production is a massive energy intensive process and we all know the cost of utility has gone through the roof thus this will have impact on unit cost
djgritt
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 10:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by djgritt

Now I'm no chemist but I did study chemistry and from what I remember the higher up the fractional distillation process you go the more raw crude is required to produce the equivilent volumes to the outputs lower down and the less energy is required to produce that. Therfore there are reduced material and energy costs.

Yes, you are right there, however, the majority of Refineries will be producing much more than Diesel, and as such they are already using a larger volume of crude to cover all their production requirements, so therefore aren't really using any less for the production of Diesel

If they were using a distillation tower with Diesel as the lightest product, then they would use less Crude - but this scenario isn't that likely IMO as its uneconomical when you look at the heat input required and the benefits of making the lighter products.
3CorsaMeal

3rd Mar 11 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diesel realeases more carcinogenic stuff when burned, this fact is hidden from the public

the whole reason for getting rid of leaded petrol was a con

Russ

3rd Mar 11 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
i paid 1.39 for ultimate

why bother - Dervs are less affected by grade of fuel so these VPOWER and Ultimate stuff is pure marketting and a quick way of adding 5p/litre on top of derv

the pumps are right next to each other, same amount of effort tbh, thats why i bother
DaveyLC

3rd Mar 11 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesnt make any difference to performance though its just a gimmick.
Russ

3rd Mar 11 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So they lied to us and i should believe a slightly psychotic mechanic instead?
pow
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The regular diesel is expensive enough for me tbh
Russ

3rd Mar 11 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The outstanding cleaning performance of BP Ultimate can help deliver improvements in power, acceleration and fuel economy and lower exhaust emissions

Get more power
BP Ultimate branded VW Golf rally car
Tests show that BP Ultimate Diesel can deliver an increase in power of more than 8%, compared with ordinary diesel

BP Ultimate takes you further
Open road
BP Ultimate Unleaded can help you achieve up to an extra 28 miles per tankful
DaveyLC

3rd Mar 11 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

They can't lie as clearly they must be able to prove it has "some benefits" *BUT* are they worth the extra cost? Do you care if its low sulpher? Performance wise you'll notice nothing.
pow
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 10:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the Ibiza I was doing the same miles per £ on Vpower diesel but it smoked like a bitch on it
Russ

3rd Mar 11 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:

They can't lie as clearly they must be able to prove it has "some benefits" *BUT* are they worth the extra cost? Do you care if its low sulpher? Performance wise you'll notice nothing.
i dont buy it for performance, i get better mpg with it, and it's better for my engine, they said so.
3CorsaMeal

3rd Mar 11 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it cleans your engine so that the pistons are shiny(er) and they move faster

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The Price of Diesel.. 22 database queries in 0.0183330 seconds