corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Upgrading my laptop.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Upgrading my laptop.
Rob R

User status: Offline
7th Mar 11 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I have a Sony Vaio that I bought from PC World August 2008. Was going to buy a new laptop to replace it but thought I'd upgrade this one instead to boast some performance increases.

3 main things I will be doing will be...

Ram upgrade - currently has 2GB installed, just purchashed 4GB from Crucial for £47 delivered.

Hard Drive - fitted at the moment is a 250gb SATAII hdd which was full of the usual PC World shite and Sony's own programmes and has never been formatted (lazy I know!) This will be getting replaced by a OCZ 60GB Vertex 2E SSD. Only use the laptop for internet and iTunes so don't need 1TB of storage space!

Windows 7 - fresh install of Windows should liven things up. It has Vista installed at the moment so 7 should be a nice upgrade over it.

Any other reccomendations? Been trying to find out if I can upgrade the CPU but with the mobo being 2.5 years old I have no idea what chipsets it will support
Cavey

7th Mar 11 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure you get 64bit windows 7 (32 bit only recognises 3gb or RAM, I think) I know that was true on Vista anyway, so i'm guessing it'll be the same with 7
Sam
Premium Member

7th Mar 11 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Correct Cavey.
Rob R

7th Mar 11 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't one of the Vista service packs enable it to read more than 3GB of ram once it's installed?
pow
Premium Member

7th Mar 11 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

32 bit arcitecture can only allocated 3.2GB of RAM anyway, even if it can see more.
Rob R

7th Mar 11 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok cheers for that. Won't be on Vista for long so wont cause me that much agro

New Poll