corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Photographers at car shows/meets/cruises

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Photographers at car shows/meets/cruises
Adam_B

User status: Offline
18th Mar 11 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi. Im writing a dissertation on photography and car culture, just wondering how do you all feel when you see people taking photos at car events? do you feel any negativity towards the photographer? are you proud if the camera gets pointed at your car? do you not care?

Why do you think you feel the way you do?

[Edited on 18-03-2011 by Adam_B]
DannyB
Premium Member

18th Mar 11 at 20:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a good thing, your car is obviously getting enough attention that someone takes the time to photograph it.
Daveskater
Premium Member

18th Mar 11 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love it when I see people taking pics of my car as it's quite a compliment really as they clearly also like it which is always a good thing. As Danny said, it's obviously good enough that someone else has decided it's worthy of getting a pic of.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Kieran
Premium Member

18th Mar 11 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv never seen anyone take any pictures
Rob E

18th Mar 11 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its nice to see proper event photographers but one thing which I have noticed more and more is everyone who comes to a car show with a DLSR round their neck seems to thinks they are a pro. Admittedly some are very talented amateur photographers but I also cant help but think a lot do it "because its cool" and score e-points on their club forums etc.
Adam_B

18th Mar 11 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why is that a bad thing Rob?
Adam_B

18th Mar 11 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Danny/Dave, what if someone came on here selling canvases featuring your cars and not offering you anything? or if you saw the images of you or your car used in a news report slating car shows and the people that attend?

[Edited on 18-03-2011 by Adam_B]
Daveskater
Premium Member

18th Mar 11 at 20:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well that would be quite annoying For the first I'm not sure if there is actually anything I could do about it because they own the image. Just because I own what's in it doesn't mean I can necessarily demand commission.

For the second I would definitely get up in their business as that's essentially slander. A very similar thing happened to a mate once, a newspaper basically said he was a car thief He wasn't though

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Skylined

18th Mar 11 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
I love it when I see people taking pics of my car as it's quite a compliment really as they clearly also like it which is always a good thing.

Unless it's going on barryboys
Simon

18th Mar 11 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob E
Its nice to see proper event photographers but one thing which I have noticed more and more is everyone who comes to a car show with a DLSR round their neck seems to thinks they are a pro. Admittedly some are very talented amateur photographers but I also cant help but think a lot do it "because its cool" and score e-points on their club forums etc.

Sort of on a similar note, I used to be into my photography a lot 7-8 years ago when it was a lot rarer to see people with SLR cameras. A while ago photography was a more expensive hobby and so mainly the people who did it were those who had a genuine passion for it. Photography has had a huge boom and with costs coming down considerably everyone these days has SLRs and everyone is walking around taking exactly the same photos as everyone else. I personally think the cheap cost of cameras now means a lot of people taking photos who don't really know what they are doing and as a result a lot of creativity has been lost and the quality of photos has dropped significantly
AlunJ

18th Mar 11 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I love it when I see people taking pics of my car as it's quite a compliment really as they clearly also like it which is always a good thing. As Danny said, it's obviously good enough that someone else has decided it's worthy of getting a pic of.

You took a few pics of mine and it's a heap...
BarnshaW

18th Mar 11 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

arent the idea of meets and cruises and shows to show off a car anyway so dont really matter if people are taking pics or not?
Rob E

18th Mar 11 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
Why is that a bad thing Rob?

I just think a lot of people do it to follow a trend. Granted that DSLRs are available a lot cheaper than they used to be and admittedly there is some very talented photographers out there and produce some stunning images. Others I see don't really seem to be any better than the results you can get from a point and click. I respect everyone has to start somewhere but I cant help but feel a lot of them just follow a crowd. If you look on ebay, there are plenty of examples of people who jumped in at the deep end, splashed out £££s for the top of the range gear, only to use it a few times then leave it to gather dust. Surely a P&S/bridge camera would be a much better starting point.

my point backed up -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-500D-Body-and-18-55-mm-70-300-mm-Lens-Kit-/220756020584?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item3366158d68#ht_500wt_1156

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EOS-550D-/110662441902?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item19c3fedbae#ht_1016wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EOS-400D-10-5-Megapixel-Digital-Camera-18-/190513286221?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item2c5b7a0c4d#ht_500wt_1156
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

18th Mar 11 at 23:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont really care if people take photos or not.

im usually asleep during the show anyway so
Ricky352

19th Mar 11 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think its great when people take a picture of my car. I used to take photos for a small website and the only people who would get annoyed would be the ones with something to hide - like rolling a joint in the front seat lol.

Id say Id still be happy to see an image of my car in a newspaper article no matter what view its taking tbh.
SteveW

19th Mar 11 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think its a good thing. Always good to get coverage of a show/event.. If you get your car "snapped" then its a bonus.

Just allows the photographer to share his/her work with the public even more
redtom

19th Mar 11 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had people take pics of my cars before and it made me feel like a man.
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

19th Mar 11 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't see it as a negative, they obviously like what they are seeing which is why they are taking the photos in the first place.

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Daveskater
Premium Member

19th Mar 11 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
You took a few pics of mine and it's a heap...
I refer you to Skylined's post

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Adam_B

24th Mar 11 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Well that would be quite annoying For the first I'm not sure if there is actually anything I could do about it because they own the image. Just because I own what's in it doesn't mean I can necessarily demand commission.

if it happened, would that then make you suspicious of people photographing your car in the future?
Adam_B

24th Mar 11 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:
Originally posted by Rob E

Sort of on a similar note, I used to be into my photography a lot 7-8 years ago when it was a lot rarer to see people with SLR cameras. A while ago photography was a more expensive hobby and so mainly the people who did it were those who had a genuine passion for it. Photography has had a huge boom and with costs coming down considerably everyone these days has SLRs and everyone is walking around taking exactly the same photos as everyone else. I personally think the cheap cost of cameras now means a lot of people taking photos who don't really know what they are doing and as a result a lot of creativity has been lost and the quality of photos has dropped significantly

I agree that the 'doing it because its cool' thing exists, but for a lot of people thats how you get into stuff, doesn't matter if its photography, modifying your car or playing guitar etc.

I dont think creativity and quality has suffered though, if anything the opposite as its open to more people with more ideas. I think the problem, if you could call it that, is image fatigue. We are bombarded by so many photographs these days it takes something really special or gimmicky (HDR, Tiltshift etc) for us not to dismiss it straight away.
emicen

24th Mar 11 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know some people take their plates off or tape them over at trackdays incase their insurer/warranty company somehow see the pics, aside from that, don't see any issue.

If you go to a show, its really expected imho. If cruising is your thing you modded your car to get attention, can't really moan when it does

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Photographers at car shows/meets/cruises 23 database queries in 0.0133750 seconds