corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Redundancy meeting tomorrow

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Redundancy meeting tomorrow
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
23rd Mar 11 at 22:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Voluntary, so still some thinking to be done.

Pros

Gets me out of a job which is currently doing my head in a bit. Without going in to too much detail, I'm behind with things and getting highlighted as such. When in fact some of the reason is down to being strict and taking more time over things.

Allows me more time to work on CS/WR, which means at some point they could perhaps support staff.

Allows me to pursue private training. A lot of what I do is adult/evening/employer related consultancy type training which I could do myself and rather than the course fees propping up libraries, office staff and managers, the income would be all mine. Private consultancy would have a far lower cost to deliver the same training.

Stops me wondering what else is out there.

The few friends I've mentioned it to are all very supportive, some suggested they also have work for me, freelance type of stuff.

No one ever bought a Ferrari on a teacher's wage.

Cons

It's damn scary.

I'm being flippant.

The private training people need marketing to, which is expensive and not actually all that reliable.

I leave a load of students, some of whom I told today were really looking a bit let down by me if I left. For all my tellings off and being picky, I think some of them actually like me.

They might not give me VR, in which I just need a straight resignation.

I will miss talking to students.

I could lose my house.

[Edited on 24-03-2011 by Ian]
Cavey

User status: Offline
23rd Mar 11 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you get a decent pay-off, go for it and make sure you make the most of the options available.
Jakey
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 22:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Biggest risk factor imo would be the house. If you could definitely get a job plus the redundency money i'd go for it.
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Mar 11 at 22:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cons

Even if I went back and they took me back, I would be on a newer and thus worse contract, meaning less money to return.

Going in to employment in another sector would also be a pay cut

Pension contributions would stop
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Mar 11 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jakey
If you could definitely get a job plus the redundency money i'd go for it.
I don't plan to just go get another job. Some of the reason to go is to explore being self-employed.

Plus any other job I got wouldn't be as good as that one, I've got 10 years worth of salary increments and additional money for other responsibilities. You can't just go for another teaching job and get that, and I wouldn't be on the same money becoming an IT person if it wasn't teaching as I've no real experience in the sector.
pow
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 22:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats your pension like Ian?

If you get some good money as a payoff and think you could support yourself, why not?
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 22:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt imo, not in this climate, what kind of payout though?
_Allan_

23rd Mar 11 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian you seem like a resourceful chap. I'm sure something will turn up.

Alternatively kit out the CS passion wagon, sell the house and travel europe promoting CS and grooming new preems
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Mar 11 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The pay off will be just over 6 months pay if they give me it.

Problem there is the IT faculty isn't a target area - meaning it's already been trimmed down a few years ago and generally makes money. In fact that employer stuff I'm doing is very profitable for the faculty, meaning they would be daft to allow me to peruse it privately.

They target the places which are not making money, courses closing etc.

I certainly couldn't support myself for any extended period of time although I could rationalise the vehicle fleet to keep me going for a bit.

[Edited on 23-03-2011 by Ian]
jrsteeve

23rd Mar 11 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've got the drive to do it i'd say go freelance/self employed. Certainly the best thing i've ever done (letting & estate agent) plus it's given me time to go back to uni part time to further my career.
pow
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 22:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely 6 months pay leaves you time to sort yourself out, find some work (self employed/somewhere else) - thought you could transfer your pention if in a LGPS.

Just think if you were thinking of leaving you wouldn't get this support

[Edited on 23-03-2011 by pow]
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Mar 11 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They may not give me the pay off though.

So these ideas I need to resign to go and do.

It would give me great pleasure to resign tbh, I love the students but that's as far as it goes. There's a LOT of bollocks in education that has ground me down over the years.
pow
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 22:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Too much restriction for teachers now IMO, I have a lot of respect for them after being on the other side of the staff room door.

See what they offer you and take it from there tbh.
DannyB
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 22:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're not happy in your job then this might be the kick up the arse to actually do something about it. Sometimes you need a big change in your life, I made a fucking huge change 5 years ago and I've not once regretted it. Granted my situation is different but it's still along the same lines.
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Mar 11 at 22:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Too much restriction for teachers now IMO, I have a lot of respect for them after being on the other side of the staff room door.
That's just it - I don't generally respect my colleagues. Figures and achievement data mean that people who wing it, teach in less detail and box the marking off quicker are more highly thought of.

I've considered becoming more like them but I can't do it - it lets the students down.

[Edited on 23-03-2011 by Ian]
Pop

23rd Mar 11 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they offer you no redundancy pay then I would be staying put.

If you stayed could you not scale back on some of the extra work/effort that you seem to be putting in and start making inroads into these other ideas that you have? If/when this looks more viable you could resign then with other stuff setup and ready to start.
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Mar 11 at 22:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I stay there I'll just stay comfortable. Which is cozy but not particularly fulfilling.
adiohead

23rd Mar 11 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to do whatever will make you happy, even if it means losing your house and renting somewhere new.
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 22:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not being funny but teachers are fucking well paid for what they do, guy at our place on a protected teachers wage has hes an ex german teacher, on about 36k and quite frankly he does fuck all
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Mar 11 at 22:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a good number, which is why I don't want to throw it away.
tooolbox timmy

23rd Mar 11 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the worst thing I did was stay in a job I detestated..The freedom I had at first of being self employed taught me several lessons...the value of earning your own money,the independence of being your own boss and never taking anything for granted financially

All of this has now lead me to be going through the motions of registering as a ltd company...a decision 18 months ago I thought would not happen in my life time.

I started with nothing and if I end with nothing I will only see it as an exciting ride ,financially and intelligence wise by what Ive read on this post..Im sure your capable

Ive never looked back and never intend on doing ...the best decision I have ever made.

Hope it works out for you!
jrsteeve

23rd Mar 11 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tooolbox timmy
the worst thing I did was stay in a job I detestated..The freedom I had at first of being self employed taught me several lessons...the value of earning your own money,the independence of being your own boss and never taking anything for granted financially

All of this has now lead me to be going through the motions of registering as a ltd company...a decision 18 months ago I thought would not happen in my life time.

I started with nothing and if I end with nothing I will only see it as an exciting ride ,financially and intelligence wise by what Ive read on this post..Im sure your capable

Ive never looked back and never intend on doing ...the best decision I have ever made.

Hope it works out for you!

Same for me, i'm heading towards going Ltd now i'm eying up premises etc. Exciting stuff!
Lawrah
Premium Member

23rd Mar 11 at 22:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fact you are considering it, as you say, means you have decided.

[Edited on 23-03-2011 by Lawrah]
smcGSI16V

23rd Mar 11 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The best thing that ever happened to me this time last year was going through redundency.

I didn't have to leave as they said I was safe but it made me realise the grass was greener on the other side and there were plenty of other opportunities out there for me to earn better money with better prospects and better home life. So I vuluntiered/gave my notice, left with redunduncy money and walked straight into another job.

It was a very hard decision as I had a house I could lose. but support from friends and family and the other half made the difference. Especially going from a job I had been in for 8 yrs at the same company, I was very much in a comfort zone.

Best move I ever made.
I dont look back now.

You will never know unless you bite the bullet and go for it imho.

[Edited on 23-03-2011 by smcGSI16V]
Matt H

23rd Mar 11 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you should dive in, you've got enough about yourself to stand on your own two feet.

If it doesn't go to plan then there's no shame in going back to a profession you're good at & generally enjoy.

I've never come across anyone who criticised people for trying to make for a better life

[Edited on 23-03-2011 by Matt H]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Redundancy meeting tomorrow 22 database queries in 0.4086030 seconds