corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polished Bliss®: "Where experience counts" - Impreza RB320

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Polished Bliss®: "Where experience counts" - Impreza RB320
BluKoo

User status: Offline
5th Apr 11 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As usual, all pictures and text are lifted from detailing world.
Also its not me doing the work. Its my brother, so I can't answer any detailing questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another one in for some correction work

This particular RB is the Original Press car and is actually the exact one that EVO Magazine reviewed and drove rather swiftly in this video below: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoPDWBvRWwY

So understandably the paint was looking rather sorry for itself as Motoring Journalists aren't really know for their passion of car care!

In the shade the car looks pretty good on arrival:

However, if we go to the other side we can see all sorts of defects lurking:

The owner was going offshore so the car was left with us for 2 weeks which meant I could work on it in between other jobs and not have to worry about finishing to a strict deadline.

First up I decided to remove the wheels as I could see there was alot of old weight stickers and residue which were going to be a pain to remove if the wheels were still on the car:

The process was as follows:

Sprayed with R222 wheel gel

Agitated with a Swissvax Wheel Brush...

...and Wheel Woolie.

A rinse followed before Autosmart Tardis was applied to remove some tar spots:

This was rinsed off and Wolfs Brake Duster was applied and agitated after a few minutes:

A combination of Tardis and the Heat Gun was used to remove the old residue:

Swissvax Cleaner Fluid and then Autobahn were applied to each wheel and buffed off:

The arches were cleaned with Meguiars Super Degreaser while each wheel was off but I never took pictures as they weren't too bad to begin with in all honesty.

With all 4 wheels cleaned, protected and back on the car it was time to crack on with all the other details:

Foamed first at a temperature of approx 60/65 degrees:

Thoroughly rinsed at the same temperature:

Engine bay sprayed with Meguiars Super Degreaser and a Swissvax Brush:

Followed by a rinse at medium pressure:

The car was then left to idle for 5 minutes.

Boot, door shuts, exterior trim etc cleaned with Meguiars APC:

The car was then washed with the 2 bucket method, lambswool mitt and Meguiars Shampoo Plus before Autosmart Tardis was applied to all paintwork and glass:

This was rinsed off after being wiped over with an old MF towel.

Wolfs Brake Duster was then applied and wiped over with a MF towel the same as Tardis before a final rinse off.

Now inside, I clayed with an Autosmart Clay I'd been given to test and water as lube:

Despite the chemical cleaning during the wash stage there was still a considerable amount of contamination coming off the paintwork, this is after half the roof:

Once fully clayed I dried the car off with a PB Luxury Drying Towel and the Black Baron.

Now clean and free of any products that may have been filling any defects the true condition of the paint could be seen:

A couple of bits were removed to make polishing easier such as the side repeaters and washer jets:

I then took detailed paint readings which showed the car had a consistent level of paint, unfortunately it was consistently thin! On average it was between 75-85 microns with a couple of high spots just touching 3 figures.

Fortunately, despite the severity of the defects present in the paintwork I was confident I could achieve excellent results with minimal paint removal as experience has shown Subaru’s of this age are incredibly soft and sticky (my own car being true to form!).

So with that in mind, I tried a very mild polish and pad combination - 3M Ultrafina and a 3M Polishing Pad. The paint was extremely sticky but the oily nature of UF and slowly building the RPM's of the rotary helped keep panels temperatures to a minimum.

Here’s the result after my test section with a total paint removal of 2 microns:

Many people would have went for a stronger combination when looking at the defects but it just goes to show what can be done with the right pad and polish!

A couple of panels in I swapped to green Lake Country Polishing Pads as the 3M pad was starting to grab a bit when loaded with polish and the LC one ran a bit cooler while still cutting well.

Some more correction shots, in no particular order:

A-Pillar before:

After:

Rear quarter before:

After:

Window spoiler before:

After:

Lights before:

After:

Boot lid before:

After:

Before:

After:

N/S door before:

After:

I think this 50/50 should show just how much clarity the defects were robbing the paint!...

Fortunately I got a break from the sticky paint when it came to polishing the plastics. These were slightly harder and thicker than the metal panels so Wolfs WP-5N with a Tangerine LC HT pad were used for these:

Before:

After:

Before

After:

Rear bumper before:

50/50:

After:

Number plate recess before:

After:

Side skirt before:

After:

The headlights were slightly weathered:

After:

Front bumper wasn't too bad for defects as it had been painted at some point, although there were quite a few bug etchings:

After:

Before:

After:

Along with the front bumper, the bonnet and wings had been re-sprayed too but were the complete opposite to the original paint, they were pretty hard and at an average of 190 microns fairly thick.

For these panels I used a Cyan Lake Country HT Pad with Wolfs WP-6H to achieve the following results:

After IPA:

In between all the polishing I'd called Martin from Dent Devils in to take care of a few dings on the N/S door:

Martin at work:

And literally 2 minutes later - all gone!

With all the correction work done I put the car outside to give it a thorough rinse down. Ultrafina wouldn't usually dust much but when you're dealing with sticky paint you're dealing with dust like it or not!

Looking much better already:

After drying with the Black Baron I refined the paint with Ultrafina again but this time with the DA and some LC HT Finishing Pads:

This was a time consuming step which took a whole Saturday to do as I had to make sure the polish was completely broken down and then avoid marring the super soft paint when buffing the polish off (which tends to want to weld itself onto the paint on sticky panels!)

Eventually I got there (after re-doing a couple of panels as a result of inflicting some light marring) though so after a light dust down and IPA wipe down I applied Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection:

This was left for 20 minutes until I could leave a clean swipe with my finger:

Buffing off with a Poorboys DMT:

I then completed the rest of the car which included the interior glass with Swissvax Crystal (love this stuff!)

Vents etc dusted out before thoroughly hoovering and then wiping down all surfaces with APC:

Matts cleaned and protected:

A final wipe down of the paint with Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray was done before I re-fitted the washer jets and side repeaters:

And that's pretty much it, I suppose I better show you the after pics, remember 95% of this result was achieved with a very mild polish and pad combination :thumb:

And with the plates back on, ready for some more sideways fun :driver:

Thanks for reading (or even just scrolling through the silly amounts of pics )
adiohead

5th Apr 11 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like the paddling pool
nathy_87

5th Apr 11 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just amazing. I like he fact how he knows what to use where (I know that's his job) but it's fantastic. Dare/Can I ask what sort of price that guy would be paying. (just a rough estimate doesn't have to be exact amount).
Ellis

5th Apr 11 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amazing results, just 10 mins drive from me, I should really go for a nosey one day...
Matt L

5th Apr 11 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

always wanted to know why he has the pool thing around the car? surely he just drains it off after?

ps car looks loads better, 50/50 shots are shocking lol cant believe how bad it was before.
Ben J

5th Apr 11 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stunning.

I've still got a feeling I want a Scooby at some point.
MatthewR

5th Apr 11 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

amazing work!!!!!
BluKoo

5th Apr 11 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nathy_87
Just amazing. I like he fact how he knows what to use where (I know that's his job) but it's fantastic. Dare/Can I ask what sort of price that guy would be paying. (just a rough estimate doesn't have to be exact amount).

I think that job would have been around Ł840+ VAT.

quote:
Originally posted by Ellis
Amazing results, just 10 mins drive from me, I should really go for a nosey one day...

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
always wanted to know why he has the pool thing around the car? surely he just drains it off after?

ps car looks loads better, 50/50 shots are shocking lol cant believe how bad it was before.

The water gets pumped into a large container and when the container is full it gets emptied.
Its part of the terms and conditions of the lease.
antnee

5th Apr 11 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could the pool be to stop stones flicking up?
Jamie-C

5th Apr 11 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pool is to reduce water waste iirc.

The result on that is fantastic, paintwork before hand was shocking, possibly one of the worst I've seen posted. Great job as per usual though. Looks mega
Chris C

5th Apr 11 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amazing how bad paint can get and still come up so well.
3CorsaMeal

5th Apr 11 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i polished my car too
3CorsaMeal

5th Apr 11 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i actually like the swirly paint effect, looks
Daveskater
Premium Member

5th Apr 11 at 12:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brilliant restoration there There's a chap at work with a blobeye in that same colour and the condition is far, far worse than that was. It looks more like a dark grey than it does a black

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Simon

5th Apr 11 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cracking job, numberplate recess did make me laugh
Ste
Premium Member

5th Apr 11 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why does everyone drool over this shit?

First time we saw it we were like "wow, that's cool, car looks shinier now". The second one we were like, "ok, so the first wasn't a fluke, if this guy spends 100 hours polishing a car it ends up shiny". Now it's just getting repetitive. . We get it, he cleans cars really well.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
3CorsaMeal

5th Apr 11 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W

First time we saw it we were like "wow, that's cool, car looks shinier now". The second one we were like, "ok, so the first wasn't a fluke, if this guy spends 100 hours polishing a car it ends up shiny". Now it's just getting repetitive. . We get it, he cleans cars really well.

i blame modern laquer firstly, then modern led torches, then modern cameras with a macro mode
adiohead

5th Apr 11 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do they do with the water once the paddling pool is full?

3CorsaMeal

5th Apr 11 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead

bellyflop into it from the roof of the studio?
Ste
Premium Member

5th Apr 11 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
quote:

i blame modern laquer firstly, then modern led torches, then modern cameras with a macro mode

I blame the internet as well.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
adiohead

5th Apr 11 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

BluKoo

5th Apr 11 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I know you don't enjoy reading this stuff, but there are loads of people who do.
Some people even learn new things from these threads.

If you dislike it so much, just ignore it and move on.
Lawrah
Premium Member

5th Apr 11 at 13:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Nismo

5th Apr 11 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

I love the fact you remember to say "Studio" and not unit
BarnshaW

5th Apr 11 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice car

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polished Bliss®: "Where experience counts" - Impreza RB320 23 database queries in 0.0422091 seconds