corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Working out triangles for roof over a polygon frame

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Working out triangles for roof over a polygon frame
Simon

User status: Offline
10th Apr 11 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In a couple of weeks I'm going to knock up some miniature greenhouses down my allotment using some old windows. My Plan is to erect these in a polygon shape over a raised planting bed.

So it should be a miniature version of something like this:

I'm going to get some sheet plastic to use for the roof. What I'm after is if there is a maths equation or working out I can use to work out the size I would need to cut each triangular section for the roof?
AndyKent

10th Apr 11 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Draw a plan (top down) view of the roof, work out what height you're going to have the roof, then pythagoras to work out length of sheet.

Unless I've misunderstood.

[Edited on 10-04-2011 by AndyKent]
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Apr 11 at 22:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would only use a top down view if you wanted a flat roof.

Pythagoras will work in 3D but you will need to half the length of the bottom edge in the calculation because they're isosceles triangles not right-angled.

Also worth knowing whether you already know the width of the vertical panels and that is your constraint on building it, or you want to most effectively use the plastic sheets with minimal wastage.

Also is the height of the peak decided?
Simon

10th Apr 11 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm building two of them, but will be different sizes due to the assortment of windows I've collected.

Now I've thought about it, I think I've got my head around it. Might knock up a 3D model of it and then get the size and angles of that. Heights aren't decided yet, will want to try and get as many bits out of each sheet though, spending as little as possible on this
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Apr 11 at 22:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't need a model, you can use Pythag to work out the edges or polynomial zeroes to find the most effective way of using up the sheets.

When you say different sizes for the vertical panels, do you mean per building or each building comprising of a number of different panels, ie. not an equilateral polygon when viewed from above. The latter having scalene triangles in the roof section which makes thing more complicated.
Simon

11th Apr 11 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Each one will be equilateral, that would be a pain in the arse to work out. I modeled it in sketchup in 2mins and measures the angles. You lost me on polynomial zeroes

Thanks for help though

New Poll