corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Need a New Headunit - DABS & USB

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Need a New Headunit - DABS & USB
Simon

User status: Offline
12th Apr 11 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old headunit broke ages ago, I've been stuck with the old tape player and now that has given up!

So I'm after a new one, I've a Halfords voucher so looking there really. To be honest I know nothing about these things but I'd like to be able to play my music from my phone which is a htc Desire. All these things seem to mention ipod connectivity now, is that specifically ipod or will my desire work through it? I also like the idea of having a DAB radio, these below seem to include antennas for it.

There are two here which are just about in my price range, don't really want to go any higher

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_789911_langId_-1_categoryId_243051

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_787001_langId_-1_categoryId_243051

Never heard of either of these makes, are they any good? Any other recommendations? Halfords also suggest I'd need a harness adapter to connect it to my car (94 corsa B) is that right? Anywhere cheaper to get them, about £15 on halfords!
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

12th Apr 11 at 14:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ones that specifically mention iPod connectivity won't work with your phone - they have a cable that plugs into the dock of the iPod. You need one with an aux-in, which both the above have, so that's fine - it'll just wok from the heaphone socket on the phone, so any changing of tracks etc will all have to be done on the phone itself.

As for DAB radio - I wouldn't bother. It seems to have died out as far as in-car audio goes, simply as it's signal was pretty poor. There's a reason that the only manufacturers that seem to make DAB radios are ones that you don't recognise!

If you're looking for simplicity, I'd suggest a simple CD player with an aux-in, as that's all you need. Something like:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_801713_langId_-1_categoryId_165474

I'm a Pioneer fan, having had two of them and both lasting over 5 years with no worries - although I'd suggest looking about, as you can normally get better deals online than at Halfords.

Finally, as for the harness adaptor - you just need to swap the permanent and switched live over (red and yellow cables) on the harness block that comes with the radio - I know with the Pioneer ones, they come with connectors on so they are easy to switch.

Hopefully that's answered all your questions!
Simon

12th Apr 11 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Tom that is helpful!
JaffaTB

13th Apr 11 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a mutant one with usb socket and bluetooth, if I connect my phone to it over bt I can play through the songs on my phone and pressing next track on the stereo skips to the next track on the phone, can even answer it if somebody rings while driving, it was only about 60 off ebay

New Poll