corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » has anyone ever fucked up at work?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author has anyone ever fucked up at work?
Jake

User status: Offline
25th Apr 11 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i need to feel better after a little blunder i had at work and i dont want to feel alone.
long story short, ive been in the building trade for over 5 years pretty much doing the same thing since i started, my brother is a window fitter and wanted a porch base doing for my other bro's girlfriends parents...i started it on saturday, had all the measurements(which had to work with an existed tiled porch roof) done a lovely job and got a phone call today telling me i made it 180mm too big out from the house, so instead of it being 1020mm i made it 1200mm. it wouldnt be a big deal if it werent for the existing roof which now has to have money spent on it to adjust it for the base i made. so im thinking maybe i should take a tape measure with me to bed and try and make sense of all those numbers

its the first time ive fucked up and its my luck that it happened doing work for my family which makes it worst

anyone else made stupid mistakes at work?
Aaron

25th Apr 11 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I once used a blue pen on a form when i should have used black pen, but apart from that, i'm perfect tbh.
Root

25th Apr 11 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1 mistake in 5 years is nothing. Previously worked as a cashier, forgot to take payments when using the yellow paypoint thing :/ did that couple times...smashed up a unregistered 1 series by accident in old job too
Jake

25th Apr 11 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm*

not as perfect as you thought
Matty W

25th Apr 11 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive fucked up a few times... over tightened a pencil coil bolt in my first week and snapped the head off..
had a couple of disciplinarys for forgetting to tighten stuff up, but i wont go into them...
had a car come back in today though which one of the guys from the workshop had fitted new front discs and pads to, customer complained of a knocking noise. theres one bolt holding the wheel on, and its barely even holding it on.. its sitting at a 45 degree angle to the hub and has fucked the alloy.. he's not back in untill wednesday, he's going to get shafted
Ben G

25th Apr 11 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

put over 60 wrong flywheels on engines before.

at least someone got double time on a sunday to sort it out.
sc0ott

25th Apr 11 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in the building trade but work in the office doing the technical stuff.
i make mistakes but you learn from them, but then some you ask yourself how the hell could you have missed it.

although you do get those who act as if they dont make mistakes which makes you feel even worse. i call them wankers.
smcGSI16V

25th Apr 11 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Measure twice cut once, etc etc etc.

Don't worry about it, I've been in the building game(chippy by trade) for 14 years and still make the most stupidist head banging errors.

It's called being human, at least that's what I tell myself.
Jake

25th Apr 11 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i measured about 10 times just to square up but i must have been rushing about and had it in my head it was 1200mm right from the beginning.

i feel better now anyway
Aaron

25th Apr 11 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake
I'm*

not as perfect as you thought

Good job i'm not at work
mwg

25th Apr 11 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few mistakes, think they've all been when I was in the my first few years and still learning.

One of them was I drew a beam that was hanging off the underside of a larger beam above, the smaller beam was to go over a doorway. But forgot to add the bearing length on so they started building the block work up then discovered the beam wasn't long enough no biggy but a little embarrassing.

The 2nd one was a steel framed house (same job as the above mistake) and there was a big steel porch that they decided to add on after the main part of the frame had gone up. Not sure what went wrong exactly but I fucked a level up somewhere and the bloody thing didn't fit on to the existing frame when it got to site.

And last but not least the contractor was on site and putting piles in for a supermarket and the piles kept snapping. So we kept having to change the pile cap arrangement to suit. One of the ones that snapped was right next to where there was going to be a service void below ground level for all the air con and fridge chilling equipment etc. I forgot the void was going to be built there and extended the pile cap out the wrong way... so now they have a service void with a pile cap sticking out the side of it
Corsa_Sport21

25th Apr 11 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes,i regularly burn things at work.Forget to put the timer on on the oven etc.Its easy done.I just blame the ovens most of the time.Say they were burning high.
smcGSI16V

Try working in feet and inches insead.
All my surveying work has to be done in mm, but when I'm on the tools I work in feet and inches instead.

Much easier, less numbers and lines to fuck things up with and miss read a measurement.
Marc

I once put the top on a silo on the wrong axis. They had to change the plans
morpheus22

25th Apr 11 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i once put an entire shelf of pop in the wrong place doh!
Bonney

25th Apr 11 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only one I can think of was making a window frame that looked like this (The top gable end frame with the arch in it)

Was using a CAD drawing to make it, Made it exactly to the CAD drawing, Sent it through to the quality control and when they checked it, It was 150mm down in width and 80mm down in height.

Was the bloke who does the drawings fault, but because he couldn't be bothered checking his work before sending it to us, I got the blame for it. Now everything has to be double checked by the managers.
Russ

25th Apr 11 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fuck up everyday
MoesTavern

25th Apr 11 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I once left the cellar door unlocked overnight at my old bar job (it opened out onto the street)

anyone could have opened it and helped themselves to a fortune's worth of booze.

I was fully expecting to get the sack but just got a talking to
DannyB
Premium Member

25th Apr 11 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I worked on a poultry farm we was told to kill certain males as the male to female ratio in the pens was too high, we ended up killing 10 of the wrong males as she told us the wrong pen number.

[Edited on 25-04-2011 by DannyB]
mattant

25th Apr 11 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
Try working in feet and inches insead.
All my surveying work has to be done in mm, but when I'm on the tools I work in feet and inches instead.

Much easier, less numbers and lines to fuck things up with and miss read a measurement.

I've never heard anyone say imperial is easier than metric
moka

25th Apr 11 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only one i can think of atm (theres probably more!) is i accidentally stopped the wrong service in a call center (working in IT) and it stopped the whole call system - all phones cut out! hahahaha, i managed to get it back up in under a minute thou and i wasnt to first to do it!

[Edited on 25-04-2011 by moka]
Ben J

25th Apr 11 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone fucks up sometimes!

I once was storing auction items for two different charity functions that were happening on
different nights at the hotel. I gave a framed, signed Ronaldo Man U shirt to the wrong function and they auctioned it, and the other function organisers arrived the next night asking where the Ronaldo shirt was (their main auction item!!) Realised at that point id fucked up in a big way!

It was worth about £800 to the charity as it went for that in the wrong auction!

[Edited on 25-04-2011 by Ben J]
sand-eel

25th Apr 11 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The other day I left the door wide open all night on an out building with £1000+ of drink and a £3000 aircon machine sitting there
moka

25th Apr 11 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
The other day I left the door wide open all night on an out building with £1000+ of drink and a £3000 aircon machine sitting there

...was it there when you got back?
harrisp

25th Apr 11 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep made plenty of mistakes, burnt a brand new kitchen unit with a blow lamp just under the door luckily I found some paint the same colour as the unit so fixed it.
Flooded a 500k new build, luckily It wasnt plastered or even boarded out and wasnt really my fault but I could have prevented it.
Made loads of mistakes such as cutting things too short/ drilling holes in the wrong places.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » has anyone ever fucked up at work? 22 database queries in 0.0195451 seconds