corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » The Weekender / Track Toy

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Weekender / Track Toy
emicen

User status: Offline
27th Apr 11 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, the lack of Mini in my life is beginning to cost me. Need something to play in and the diseasel BMW doesn't really cut it so resurrecting the ST205 which has been SORN since last December when it failed its MOT.

Pic of her from the last time she was out'n'about in my local hood:

Getting a wash:

Spec at present:

Engine
- Apexi intake
- Blitz copy BOV
- Ivana Humpalot 3in downpipe
- Apexi AVC-R boost controller @ 1.05bar

Transmission
- solid rear ally diff mount
- RPS 6 puk clutch

Suspension & Running Gear
- TRD -20mm springs
- 8x17 Compomotive MOs

Before the AVC-R was fitted and on the stock cat she ran 270hp/275lbft iirc (this was 2004 lol)

Current to do list:
- New discs and pads all round (MOT fail on front and rear disc pitting)
- New front banana arm bushes (MOT fail on play, known PITA on ST205)
- New timing belt and tensioner, been 5yrs so stupid not to really
- Fresh brake fluid
- Ally radiator, old one's end tanks are showing signs of age and these are known to go
- Mocal 10 row 235mm oil cooler with thermostatic sandwich plate
- Try refit undertray removed by a garage and never refitted

Todays package:

Hopefully the brakes arrive before the royal wedding

[Edited on 28-04-2011 by emicen]
recarouk

27th Apr 11 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oooooooo looks nice does that chap!
fazza

27th Apr 11 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very nice. always wanted one of these but never got one for some reason

what are they like to drive?
emicen

27th Apr 11 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fazza
Very nice. always wanted one of these but never got one for some reason

what are they like to drive?

Solid. They weigh more than a similar age Evo or Impreza and that can be felt everywhere, they are a much more sturdy affair. The finishing materials are higher standard too.

The weight does tell slightly with cornering, they are nose heavy, but not to a terrible amount.

I love them, have a Carlos Sainz edition ST185 as well, would only consider a very short list as replacements.
emicen

30th Apr 11 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New discs arrived

Kinetix grooved and dimpled, refuse to believe these aren't coming out the same factory as EBC. Yellow stuff pads all round. Going to get some DOT 5.1 out of Halfords to finish off the overhaul.

I've never warped a set on the street (touch wood), we'll see how they hold up on track.
emicen

11th Jun 11 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, would be the Celi if it didn't put up a fight.

Needed new front superstrut arm #1 on the passenger side due to play in the bushing at the subframe end. Rare as fuck but had to be replaced as the bush isn't serviceable. £260 +VAT from eurocarparts was the cheapest I could get.

New windscreen in and its properly fitted this time unlike the RAC effort the car had when I got it.

Brakes needed the pins drilled out on the rears they were so corroded

Still, now taxed and tested. Just needs timing belt doing and the oil cooler fitted. Too bad I didn't bother checking the kit of parts supplied until two years after I bought them. The thermostatic sandwich plate has a score in it so I'll need to flat that before fitting. If your finger nail can feel it, sure as hell oil will find its way out at 5bar.
emicen

12th Jun 11 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sandwich plate flattened down, now I need to polish up the surface.
emicen

20th Jun 11 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rainy afternoon? Nothing like some spit and polishing:

Back up on stands for the timing belt change:

New brakes after a light bedding in. Waaaaaay better than they've ever been before

Pity the last garage that changed the belt decided to hammer the crank pulley on without cleaning it up. The pulled has been mushroomed and took a fucking hub puller to get it off!

[Edited on 20-06-2011 by emicen]
emicen

28th Jun 11 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another fun day in the garage. Looks like I caught the belt at a good time, starting to look a bit worn!

Then the horrors came out the woodwork. Here's the tensioner. Grenade type. You'll notice the last garage that did the belt, same one that mullered the pulley, chose to only half pull the pin. Meaning for the last 5yrs the belt has been undertensioned

The real fun being, the bolts holding the tensioner on were only hand tight. Actually no, that would have been an almost happy situation. More accurate would be the threads had been over torqued and ripped out, meaning the holes need helicoiled. Here's how much space I have to play with:

Yep, full strip down to remove the head!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » The Weekender / Track Toy 23 database queries in 0.0137970 seconds