corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Spongey brakes

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Spongey brakes
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd May 11 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got 2ltr fronts and standard drums on the back. Basically its had new rear cylinders and rear brake pipes and my 2ltr setup off my old car fitted on the front.

When I did all that I drained the brake fluid off to replace with new, bled it up, no bubbles but a couple of inches of travel on the pedal. I didn't get chance to bleed it again before I took it to Castle Combe so I used that as a tester which showed that the brakes seemed to work as well as I remembered on my old car but you had to take up about 2 inches of travel before they started working whereas on my old car, you didn't.

Just tried bleeding them again now. I didn't drain it because the fluid in there has only done a few miles anyway. I put about 1/2 litre of fluid through each corner, saw maybe 3 or 4 tiny bubbles in all then I've just tried the pedal again and it's still terrible

No sign of leaks anywhere.

Any ideas?

Edit: Bled with an Eezibleed both times btw

[Edited on 02-05-2011 by Mike B]
AlexW

2nd May 11 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might sound silly, but I've found putting a bit of wood that pushes the pedal down over night may help.

Otherwise, Do you have the brake adjuster fitted on the rear beam? May be worth trying to move that.

Mike
Premium Member

2nd May 11 at 15:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You mean just keep the pedal held down overnight then in the morning it's ok or rebleed again in the morning?

By the brake adjuster do you mean the auto bias thing that works off suspension height? If so that seems free
DERV-POWER

2nd May 11 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get rid of the load valve and fit inline ones off an mk3 astra also were the front pads new ?
Eddx14xe

2nd May 11 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you tried some hard braking?

Im sure you would already know this but when i use my brakes lightly, they have alot of travel like your describing. But after i have stamped on them a few times, they adjust themselves and there is hardly any travel in the pedal.
Mike
Premium Member

2nd May 11 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The pads weren't new, I had them on my old car, they didn't see any use between November and April though, not sure if that would be detrimental to them?

And yes, I did 2 15 minute track sessions at Castle Combe so they've undergone some quite harsh braking but no improvement.
DERV-POWER

2nd May 11 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would remove pads and check they aren't coming away from backing
Mike
Premium Member

2nd May 11 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looked at the pads on the side that Ian fitted and it looks like I'm due some new ones anyway so I'll get them sorted asap and see how we get on from there.

Thanks for the advice everyone
john_redtop

3rd May 11 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive found with mine having the hand brake realy tight 1 click makes the brakes a whole lot better also remove bias value
johnhara1

3rd May 11 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are your brake lines like? The rubber bits i mean, if they're old they could be swelling up under pressure.

Replacing these on my xe, with v6 brakes, improved the pedal massively.
Jed D

3rd May 11 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AW06
Might sound silly, but I've found putting a bit of wood that pushes the pedal down over night may help.

iv heard this done before, tried it in the past and didn't seem to do much though
corsadonk
Premium Member

3rd May 11 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you have the correct air pressure when you used the Eeziebleed?

I think it needs to be 18psi.

I know it sounds stupid, but you did it in the correct order?
Mike
Premium Member

3rd May 11 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I think it says between 15 and 20 psi, I thought 18 sounded nice so went with that

And yes, furthest away to nearest.

New Poll