corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Going back into education?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Going back into education?
jibjob

User status: Offline
7th May 11 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Over the past few days i've been thinking about going back into education to gain some more qualifications and hopefully moving onto a better job than the one i have now.

I was looking at possibly doing Mechanical Engineering or something similar to that, although i'm also open to the idea of doing something completely different to what i know and enjoy now. At the moment it would mostly be A-level/Level 3 BTECs/City and Guilds moving onto Diplomas and possibly further after that.

I was just wondering who on here has done it before and would either recommend it or say to stay away from it?
Also what sort of financial help is available for people in full time work but not in the field that they want to study in? I researched it a bit and found out that pretty much unless i'm on benefits, an asylum seeker or get support from the company i work for there's not a lot out there financial support wise.

Any help would be good and any experiences would be great
Colin

7th May 11 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did & it wasnt easy, although you've got to look at where you're heading, times are hard & wont get any easier, if you need some tickets to get the job you want then do it now rather than regret not doing so in years to come.

Theres not really any help as such.....
jibjob

7th May 11 at 00:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing is i've got the qualifications already for the job i want but haven't got the experience so i'm hoping if i "over qualify" myself so to speak it would make up for the lack of experience.

Getting the experience is the problem. I've offered to work for free to get it and they still say no, but if no one is willing to give me a chance how am i meant to get experience?

On the same note though i'm willing to change my career path totally and do something completely different.

When you say it wasn't easy what problems did you come across?
Colin

7th May 11 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started an apprenticeship at 24, it wasnt easy earning £80 a week while sitting in a college class room fool of bullet heids but sometimes you need to do what you need to do.

Social life was pretty much disolved for a few yeas!!
jibjob

7th May 11 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i think thats whats put me off apprenticeships. I'd be looking more into night school or one day a week in college. Even so the courses can go up to £2000 which i can't afford on my own without some sort of financial help.
Colin

7th May 11 at 00:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That said the package i'm on now is worth 4x the one I left.
Twitch

7th May 11 at 03:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its cost a fair bit after age 24 ( bout 2kish ) but well worth it in the long run. you dont have to do an appentiship but it does help i do mechanics at college ( 21 ) and thats just a 1 day a week thing
Russ

7th May 11 at 05:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My work are paying for an nvq, it's not hard, but I struggle to get motivated. 10 years out the classroom is a long time
Aaron

7th May 11 at 06:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went back in to education (part time in the evenings) to do a Foundation Degree. Like others have said, it wasn't easy. I hadn;t done "home work" for 10 years, but, with this course, i was working solid for 2 years!

At first, i thought it was going to be too much, considering i was working full time too, but, after handing in my first lot of assignments, and getting good marks, i was hooked. I stuck it out, and got the qualification. I'm going to "top it up" next year to a BSc i think.
Ojc

7th May 11 at 07:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got my interview at college on Monday for my diploma.

I'm 29 in October
pow
Premium Member

7th May 11 at 07:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it while you're young Jonny
James

7th May 11 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it part-time in the evenings, I'm going to do a part-time MSc/MBA in the next few years. 2 or 3 nights a week but I do fuck all in my evenings anyway.
spencer88

7th May 11 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was working 50/60 hour weeks whilst I went back to college 3 days a week.

Got into Uni and now doing 40/50 hour weeks whilst doing 1 day at Uni.

It is very hard work.

Is it worth it?

Who knows, I will find out in 3 years time when I finish.
John

7th May 11 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is diploma a fancy way of saying HND?
richc

7th May 11 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Is diploma a fancy way of saying HND?

no
John

7th May 11 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is it then, ollie for instance?
James

7th May 11 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
What is it then, ollie for instance?

Could be a graduate diploma, which I believe is basically an undergraduate degree condensed into a year full time. But I believe you need to have an undergraduate degree already to do one of these.
richc

7th May 11 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt really say diploma is a set level of education. It would depend on your field. Ive got a diploma in fabrication but im now moved onto a HNC, which is below a HND .

[Edited on 07-05-2011 by richc]
jibjob

7th May 11 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what I understood a diploma is basically a step after A-levels/BTECs/etc but not as good as a degree. Its sort of a step in between to be taken depending on how far you want to go with your qualifications.
Ellis

7th May 11 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What would you like as a career if for instance you did do mechanical engineering?

Make sure you know what you want to do before choosing your course, I did an MEng in mech eng but I knew firmly where I was going - although it does make things easier being in Aberdeen with and engineering qualification.
jibjob

7th May 11 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for all that Shell. Could really do with being Scottish then does it work if I go and study in Scotland or do I have to actually be Scottish?

Ellis, I'm not sure what I want to do as a specific job but I love every mechanical and everything engineering based so with the two together it would be something I'd enjoy doing. The job opportunities that come with it all appeal to me so it gives me good options for a future career.
After seeing what's involved in the course I already have a pretty good grasp of the basics after what I've done at college and in my own time.
Root

7th May 11 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

off to open day on 10th to get my arse back to college, get a proper trade so I can find work easier
Shell
Premium Member

7th May 11 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have to actually be Scottish or have lived here for a certain amount of time, can't remember. Otherwise England would have no students and we'd be over run
jibjob

7th May 11 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gutted its daft how the Scottish get no fees yet the English fees have gone up to £9k!
LeeM

7th May 11 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im 24 and startin uni in spetember doing mechanical and automotive engineering. ive done my nc and nd for the last 2 years while working around college, not working from september though, living off the loans with maybe a 10 hour part time thing

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Going back into education? 22 database queries in 0.0120718 seconds