corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike day- Changing front forks.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike day- Changing front forks.
Bonney

User status: Offline
9th May 11 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After buying a Mountain bike a few weeks ago and not been happy with the front forks on the bike. Want something with a little adjustment in them.

Heres a pic of the bike

And a link to the forks.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390246218223&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Just wandering what bits I will need to do it, e.g. any bearings or fittings. and what do i need to measure up and general sizes of things (Unsure of all of this!)

Not looking to go all out and fancy, Just want a little more adjustment in the damping and rebound without spending mega money.

[Edited on 09-05-2011 by Bonney]
PhilC

9th May 11 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You shouldn't need anything as long as you can rescue the lower seal from the existing steerer.

Edit: Depending on how your headset holds together, you may need to get yourself a 'star-fangled nut' to go into the new steerer.

They usually come off with a hammer and flat screwdriver, but try not to be too brutal in doing so!

It looks like your disc calipers have different mounts also. The mounts on your existing fork look like 'post mount', and from the pictures and description of the eBay link, the new one has 'IS' mounts. You can get adaptors for these cheaply enough, but it would mean upsizing your rotor by 20mm.

Corsa Sport Gav

9th May 11 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'll also have to make sure that the streering tube lenth is long enough too
PhilC

9th May 11 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Item on ebay is listed as being new... so it should be, but yeah, always best to check!
deano87

9th May 11 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ensure you have the same front brake mounts or you could be spending money on adapters.

It's a pretty simple thing to do mind - most bike shops wouldn't charge a great deal for labour only.

[Edited on 09-05-2011 by deano87]
Bonney

9th May 11 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will have a look at the brake mounts, I thought they were all standard!

Think at the weekend i will take it all apart and have a look at what I will need. Just going to search out a guide to give me a rough idea.

I take it these are the star frangled nuts/bolts

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STRONGLIGHT-1-1-8-STAR-HEADSET-WASHER-AND-NUT-SET-/370493806647?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item564326d837

[Edited on 09-05-2011 by Bonney]
deano87

9th May 11 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Main thing that will need to come off the existing forks is the headset racer. This sits around the steerer tube on the top of the fork top crown.

Also, is that bike recent? Keep your gears in 8th/9th at the back, and the smallest ring at the front when not in use. Saves it being under tension all the time
Bonney

9th May 11 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it was last years model. Unsure what gear I keep it in, Have it out near enough every other day, Will have a look next time I have it out

Been thinking of a new set of bars aswell, The ones on it look a little on the thin side. Like them to look a little more chunky, With one of the top braces on.
deano87

9th May 11 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top braces on bars?

Welcome to the 90's.
Bonney

9th May 11 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saying that, Havn't seen them for a while
PhilC

10th May 11 at 01:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the right star fangled nut... It pulls it all together.

You're right about standard disc mounts, but there are two standards!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike day- Changing front forks. 22 database queries in 0.0061440 seconds