corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Is it just me....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is it just me....
Twiggy

User status: Offline
18th May 11 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But does this just wear your tyres quicker ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDZP-f_CpRk&feature=related
SXI - Matt

18th May 11 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seem's a waste of a new tyre does it not, buy a new one send it off to be "thinned" so less tyre wear left :-/
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

18th May 11 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gez bay

18th May 11 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WTF

Matty W

18th May 11 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at a guess.. looks like its used to take down un-even wear and flat spots maybe?
Matty W

18th May 11 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just read the discription

"The shaving process cuts the tread from the tyre to provide a more stable tread base for increased performance on track. Traditionally tyres were buffed, but this introduced unwanted heat into the tyre carcass - so instead, we cut the tyres preventing heat build up which can compromise performance. Reducing tread depth in this way alleviates the tread blocks from 'squirming' under heavy cornering - thus giving better grip and feedback in dry conditions."
vx-scottw
Premium Member

18th May 11 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont get that one bit
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

18th May 11 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I believe it's for thick people who believe that 'squirming' is an actual problem and don't mind buying tyres then throwing half of it in the bin to alleviate the "problem" whilst Tweeks sell more tyres and then also charge to cut half of the tread off. It's a win win for Tweeks as long as there's people daft enough to believe it.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
18th May 11 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can see that it would make the tyre more stable. It's also desirable to letting the tyre flatten naturally as it won't introduce as many heat cycles.

Whether it shortens the life or not depends on whether you judge the end of a tyres' life to be when the tread is worn or when the compound is compromised.

[Edited on 18-05-2011 by Ian]
neil h

18th May 11 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Ian said, can kinda see the logic behind it. Though stuff buying a brand new set of tyres just to have half the rubber removed.
Ian
Site Administrator

18th May 11 at 21:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends when you're binning them. You either shave the tread and they perform better or you chuck them with tread on later on.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

18th May 11 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I suppose the tyres on the Corsa still have plenty of life in them tread wise, but compound wise they're knackered but I don't think I'd feel any better paying someone to take a couple of mm off my new tyres for the chance it may feel slightly better.
Ian
Site Administrator

18th May 11 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also shortens your gearing
ryan docherty

18th May 11 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do they actually charge people fir that omg

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Is it just me.... 22 database queries in 0.0111930 seconds