corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Prob a repost - Continuous Car Insurance Laws now active

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Prob a repost - Continuous Car Insurance Laws now active
djgritt
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd May 11 at 16:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a heads up really

I'm sure this was discussed here a while ago, but it seems it is now active

quote:

New rules are now in force that require registered keepers of all cars to have continuous car insurance – or face penalties ranging from a fine to court prosecution.

Those who own a car that is not insured must either take out insurance or declare it SORN with the DVLA, even if they never drive it.

If they do not, the DVLA will discover them, through a link with the Motor Insurance Database. This detects uninsured cars: if there is no SORN declaration, action will automatically commence.

Called ‘Continuous Insurance Enforcement’ (CIE), the laws come into force now, but will not be rigorously enforced until 20 June. The month-long ‘amnesty’ will give the DVLA and car insurers time to publicise the law, allowing owners to react.

http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=157739498
Matt L

23rd May 11 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really dont see what this is going to achieve other than penalising the people that accidentally forget its run out (even though i dont know how thats possible with reminders + auto renewing insurance).

but with regards to people who are uninsured currently... its going to do nothing to them other than give them a slap on the wrists/fine which would work out cheaper than insurance anyway.
Alex_Rally

23rd May 11 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think this is a fuckin stupid idea, they didnt think it through for ppl who have weekend cars ect. fucking government .
Matt L

23rd May 11 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats having a weekend car got to do with it? you still need insurance + tax on it
DannyB
Premium Member

23rd May 11 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to be a pain for people who have track cars and such, or people like Ian that have a shit load of cars, if some arent sorned currently.
Adam_B

23rd May 11 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SORN or Tax it has been the rules for ages? They just have a bit more power to enforce it now I think?

SORN process is wank and the DVLA are fucking robbing twats though.
djgritt
Premium Member

23rd May 11 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
Going to be a pain for people who have track cars and such, or people like Ian that have a shit load of cars, if some arent sorned currently.

Those sort of people were the reason I thought I'd whack the link up on here - seems a lot of people have laid up projects etc that could cause them issues now!
djgritt
Premium Member

23rd May 11 at 17:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
SORN or Tax it has been the rules for ages? They just have a bit more power to enforce it now I think?

SORN process is wank and the DVLA are fucking robbing twats though.

It's not so much just SORN or Tax - if it is laid up and taxed, it MUST be Insured, or SORNed instead - so either lose your tax and have to pay out when you feel like using the car (if useable) or keep paying for it to be Insured.

Annoying.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
23rd May 11 at 17:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine are all SORN anyway because even prior to his ruling, I would have been pursued for non-payment of RFL anyway.

This just means that if you don't SORN something you get hit twice now, once for tax and once for insurance, when in reality you need neither.

One step closer to me starting to register my cars to Mr M. Mouse of Main Street. Particularly if they're track cars or strippers - there's no purpose to declaring ownership except than to be fined.
Adam_B

23rd May 11 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you get a refund on remaining tax if you sorn a car before it runs out.
LeeM

23rd May 11 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they can fuck off, i dont need my corsa insured but if i sorn it and someone actually ever buys it then they cant just insure it and drive it away
Ben G

23rd May 11 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my grandad has had to send off sorn letters for his 3 classic cars.

pain in the arse because he only drives them a couple times every year.

if the process was simple then it wouldn't be such a problem, but it's all letters and shit and the dvla are well known for messing things up.
DannyB
Premium Member

23rd May 11 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So what would happen if your grandad just fancied a drive one weekend?
Ben G

23rd May 11 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plan ahead i suppose and hope the weather held out.

not sure whether you can just un-sorn a car in a simple way.
DannyB
Premium Member

23rd May 11 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Takes a while to get it back on the road doesn't it, it's joke.
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd May 11 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can un-SORN just by taxing it.

SORN and tax should both be able to be done online.

It's not a massive hassle but it's also not a great use of time for someone who is legal and honest. It's also very easy to overlook and be fined, despite just liking cars.
sand-eel

23rd May 11 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't see the problem at all, sorning takes minutes online and it gets rid of the fuckers driving about with no insurance!

[Edited on 23-05-2011 by sand-eel]
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd May 11 at 18:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Assuming the online process works and you remember to do it.

I've been in both of those situations.
sand-eel

23rd May 11 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I suppose if you know that you won't be using a car just do it by post or post office.
LeeM

23rd May 11 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
I don't see the problem at all, sorning takes minutes online and it gets rid of the fuckers driving about with no insurance!

how? if theyre driving without insurance they'll just drive without tax as well. all this will do is make things more difficult for genuine motorists and enthusiasts
Jambo

23rd May 11 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel

Dream on. They will do it anyway.
fir3vip3r

23rd May 11 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
You can un-SORN just by taxing it.

SORN and tax should both be able to be done online.

It's not a massive hassle but it's also not a great use of time for someone who is legal and honest. It's also very easy to overlook and be fined, despite just liking cars.

Yep, its easy to re tax a car. But then you've got the piss take that is tax only counts from the 1st of the month....
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd May 11 at 22:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good point.
RKS

24th May 11 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then there is the issue of selling a car.

Say your current car has 8 Months tax left, you go out and buy a new car, swap your insurance to the new car and leave the old one on the driveway whilst waiting for it to sell.

Unless you sorn it you are liable for this fine. so no more buying a privately owned car with tax on

Oh and its also worth mentioning if you don't know already if you buy a car that is sorn the sorn agreement is cancelled by changing the registered keeper so you will need to re-sorn or tax it. I got stung by this
pow
Premium Member

24th May 11 at 07:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're not going to get a fine the second you uninsure it thought are you.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Prob a repost - Continuous Car Insurance Laws now active 22 database queries in 0.0788772 seconds