corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Found a machine polisher - recommened me some pads

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Found a machine polisher - recommened me some pads
Generation

User status: Offline
2nd Jun 11 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kestrel-DAS6-Power-Plus-Pro-Car-Polisher-Dual-Action-/110689091577?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c5957ff9

Decided on this model (mines bit cheaper)

I need some pads., I need to rmeove some light swirls from the car, then normal polish/clay it.

Polisher comes with 5 nd 6" inch backing plates, I see alot of 7" buffing pads, can they just overhang?

What do I need please?
craig8
Premium Member

2nd Jun 11 at 22:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good kit for starting out here, brought my astra up pretty good
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polish/menzerna-250ml/menzerna-complete-polish-and-pad-kit/prod_267.html

E36 328
craig8
Premium Member

2nd Jun 11 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats pretty cheap with the polisher
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher-menzerna-intro-kit/prod_720.html

E36 328
danny_dub

2nd Jun 11 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At work we use Auto Glyms hard hard with 3M compound to cut into the paint. Then use G-Mops soft head with 3M finese to bring the paint right up then finish with Auto Glyms radiant wax.
danny_dub

2nd Jun 11 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Farecla-6-Advanced-G-Mop-Polishing-Foams-2-Pack-/260421516299?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item3ca254fc0b

thats the soft head
Piér

2nd Jun 11 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not trying to be nasty or sound offensive here but it doesn't really sound like you know what your going to be doing. Get yourself registered on detailing world, they are a lot more handy than people on here! I know people on here like to have a clean car but on Detailing world they take it a lot further and there are a lot of in depth guides that will tell you everything you need to know in theory.
Any questions are answered in a very kind way no matter how stupid or how many times its been asked!

However as a quick answer to your pad question.
There are many different kinds from many different manufacturers, they are colour coded.
You would be best off with two of each so say;
Cutting Pad
Polishing Pad
Finishing Pad
Thats the basics, you can go with whatever manufacturer you want but get at least 2 of each of those, you never now how hard the paint is going to be.
You start out with a finishing pad and the lightest cutting polish you can get, if this doesn't work and you still have swirls you need a heavier cut so you might move up to a polishing pad an the light cutting polish. You keep doing this until you receive the right level of cut.
In your situation, as you say light swirls, you might only need a finishing pad with a light cutting compound to remove the swirls and then use the second finishing pad again but with a finishing polish to refine the final finish and then add your final LSP (Last Stage Protection).

If you go straight to a cutting pad with the heaviest cut polish you can then you are going to get buffer trails and maybe even strike through so if you go with the method of lightest first and then working up to the right combination you shouldn't be able to go wrong.

Sizes are down to where you are working on the car, you can get little pad 4.5" is normal. Which are called 'spot' pads, they are for harder to get to areas or when a heavier cut is needed in a shorter space of time.

Then you have 5.5 to 6" pads than you can just use generally.

There is a lot more to it so I really do suggest going onto detailing world to get clued up mate.

You need to clay the car before you machine as well otherwise your just going to be polishing dirt into the paintwork.

If I get anything wrong them I'm sure that Rich will be along to correct me but this is only written from memory of what I have read and seen on DW.
Hope it helps.

[Edited on 02-06-2011 by Piér]
Generation

3rd Jun 11 at 07:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks mate, I will have look on detailing world too, but has very helpful.

Just a quick question, can I used e.g)

A 6" pad on 5" backing plate?

[Edited on 03-06-2011 by Generation]
Cole

3rd Jun 11 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes
Generation

3rd Jun 11 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK, now I have idea of pads and
Method(thanks) how about products? I have poorboys swirl remover, and usual polish and waxes, rich recommended me?

Piér

3rd Jun 11 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take a look at this mate, it covers everything you need to know!

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

This is the Poorboys polish cut list though.

POORBOYS
• SSR3 Super Swirl Remover 3 Heavy Cut 8/10
• SSR2.5 Super Swirl Remover 2.5 Medium Cut 6/10
• SSR2 Super Swirl Remover 2 Light – Medium Cut 4/10
• SSR1 Super Swirl Remover 1 Light Cut 2/10

What 'usual' polish are you on about mate? You will need a medium cut polish a light cut and a finishing one, or instead of finishing polish you could use Autoglym SRP if you have it, as that has a very fine cut.
You will not need to hand polish after refining the finish with a DA.
SRP leaves a very good base for a wax so you can just finish the car off with SRP on a Finishing pad and then apply your wax
Car will need washing or blasting down with a pressure washer after polishing as its very dusty.
Generation

3rd Jun 11 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have about 4 bottles of SRP so not a problem.

Never hosed down after polishing with it before? Benefits?

Been massie help

Piér

3rd Jun 11 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you machine polish, especially if your in a garage/unit it gets very dusty and goes all over the car so it just gets rid of any dust on the plastic trims etc.
You need to work the polishes properly as a lot of them have a compound that breaks down as you use it and if you don't fully break it down you will see it in the results, so say you have a light cut polish, fully worked it can become a finishing polish as the cutting compound diminishes into smaller parts, it explains everything in that thread I linked you too.
As I said, follow the link I posted above and you will learn all you need to know

[Edited on 03-06-2011 by Piér]
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Jun 11 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alright Pier m8
Piér

3rd Jun 11 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alright steve m8, sorry the attention isn't on you

[Edited on 03-06-2011 by Piér]
Ojc

3rd Jun 11 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good writeup Pier. My mate got bummed by a Yeti in France called Pier. Very strange story that one.
Piér

3rd Jun 11 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I can guarantee you that I am not a yeti

Thanks btw
Generation

3rd Jun 11 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Pier!

I will be paying for poisher tonight, and buying these pads (hope ok)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120713146200&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110680811613&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Or just buy this set

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meguiars-G220-3-7-Pads-Finishing-Polishing-Cutting-Set-/130447329613?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e5f44494d
Piér

3rd Jun 11 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be better off with the set mate because then you can get the finishing pads as well
Generation

3rd Jun 11 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okie nearly there now !!

So what product would you recommend to
Remove swirls? The meguires stuff ine the link?

Been massie help mate
Piér

3rd Jun 11 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well as I said earlier, use the SRP on one of the finishing pads to finish the car off once the swirls are removed.
But you said you had some poorboys swirl remover? What have you got?
shaunmods
Premium Member

3rd Jun 11 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you already bought the machine polisher seperately mate? Might be worth looking at the combo deals cleanmycar.co.uk do like this one -

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher-menzerna-intro-kit/prod_720.html

I've just bought this kit for mine but with a normal DAS-6 rather than a PRO one

[Edited on 03-06-2011 by shaunmods]
Piér

3rd Jun 11 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was gonna suggest these to him but he said in the first post that he is going to buy the kestral but he got it cheaper than in the link he posted.
A kit would be better though to be honest.
Generation

3rd Jun 11 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not bought yet. Have you tried your bits Sean?
shaunmods
Premium Member

3rd Jun 11 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
Not bought yet. Have you tried your bits Sean?

Not yet no. Starting cleaning on monday The menzerna stuff has really good reviews though
Generation

3rd Jun 11 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit worried about using pro one haha

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Found a machine polisher - recommened me some pads 23 database queries in 0.0165660 seconds