corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » push bike - disc brake conversion

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author push bike - disc brake conversion
corsayoung

User status: Offline
8th Jun 11 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got myself a nice little full suspension mountain bike on the cheap, starting a little project on it if you like and am thinking about adding front disc brake.

Before you ask, why, I live on a hill / common and just a summer thing all our mates have done is buy a mountain bike and go riding , I've seen a few sets on eBay for 19.99 etc which seems resonable but just wondering how easy they are to fit? Brands I should look out for? Are they pretty much universal etc

Also benefits I can imagine at better stopping power, and last longer etc?

Il get some pictures up inna short while, thanks
jacko198

8th Jun 11 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have disc mounts on your forks and front hub?
Bonney

8th Jun 11 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in a similar position at the minute.

Have a mountain bike that I am upgrading a few bits on, Mainly the front forks to some with some adjustment and a lockout facility (as most of my riding is road with the occasional run down dirt tracks) and a decent set of hydraulic disk brakes (As the cable ones I have are crap!)

Just unsure of a decent brand or type to go for, Also what to change the gear selectors to (as they are intergrated into the brake levers.)
Toby
Premium Member

8th Jun 11 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney
I'm in a similar position at the minute.

Have a mountain bike that I am upgrading a few bits on, Mainly the front forks to some with some adjustment and a lockout facility (as most of my riding is road with the occasional run down dirt tracks) and a decent set of hydraulic disk brakes (As the cable ones I have are crap!)

Just unsure of a decent brand or type to go for, Also what to change the gear selectors to (as they are intergrated into the brake levers.)

I have a hope m4s and shimano xtr rapid fire shifter. It's an older set up but anything hope and shimano you can't go wrong.
Bonney

8th Jun 11 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its already got shimano rapid fire on, But they have cable operated brake levers on them.
Gareth F

8th Jun 11 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you dont ride that much just buy some hayes cable discs, mount a 203mm on the front and a 185mm on the rear. that willbe enough without spending more than £40
Rob_Quads

8th Jun 11 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Recently when I was buying a bike i visited 3 local like shops (proper shops not halfords) and all of them said there is not much difference in performance between old school brakes and the cable disc brakes, specially at the cheaper end.

If your going to spend the money go for Hydraulic brakes - 2nd hand off ebay will be better than new cable ones
Doug

8th Jun 11 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a set of second have Avid BB5 cable disk brakes for sale if you are interested?
corsayoung

8th Jun 11 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jacko198
Do you have disc mounts on your forks and front hub?

i literally have no clue.. getting some pictures up in a moment.

My mates have basically all decided that this summer were going to be doing a lot of mountain biking up our local hill and little adventures else where etc so thought i better get myself up to track and get a bike instead of a bmx.

Never ever done anything not standard to a bike before so am a modding novice in the bike world. Will be attaching my LED Lenser to it though very shortly!

Il upload a few pictures in a minute, for a £5 bike i don't think its too bad, i wanted it as a project any how so

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Recently when I was buying a bike i visited 3 local like shops (proper shops not halfords) and all of them said there is not much difference in performance between old school brakes and the cable disc brakes, specially at the cheaper end.

If your going to spend the money go for Hydraulic brakes - 2nd hand off ebay will be better than new cable ones

I do know for a fact that i think disc brakes are a must as the hill is quite steep in places and these guys have been doing it a long while

Also thinking that as you can tell the gears arn't too good, so a cheap replacment maybe if possible?
corsayoung

8th Jun 11 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looking i think i know what you mean by mounting for brake disc, i dont think i have, although my old man can weld and fabricate a bit of metal no problem to put on there so.
Corsa Sport Gav

8th Jun 11 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsayoung
Just looking i think i know what you mean by mounting for brake disc, i dont think i have, although my old man can weld and fabricate a bit of metal no problem to put on there so.

i would'nt put any heat into the lower legs of the folks! it'll be alot safer buying new folks! the back end you might get away with but its a pain to get in the correct place
taylorboosh

9th Jun 11 at 06:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find my v-brakes are better than my old cable disks
Balling
Premium Member

9th Jun 11 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5£ full suspension bike?
Welding on disc brakes?

Guessing this is a joke...

corsayoung

9th Jun 11 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, got the full suspension bike for £5 off a mate, isn't too shabby but needs a bit doing to it, was just saying, obvs not now you guys pointed out weakening the forks to mount a bracket for the disc brakes.
jacko198

9th Jun 11 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest, if you get the brakes set up properly they should be enough for you.

With the standard V-Brakes, both sides of the brakes pull, where as with a cable disc, only one side of the brake will move, which is not as efficient!
Siberia

9th Jun 11 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for the front you will need new forks if you dont have the mounts

for the rear get an a2z disk brake mount.. you must have flat drop outs at the rear to mount it though..

i'm using avid juicy 3's front and rear.. there is massive stopping power off them

problem i have with cable brakes is that they work great for a few weeks then they go to crap especially if you ride through muck/rain.

[Edited on 09-06-2011 by Siberia]
Bonney

11th Jun 11 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just ordered my new hydraulic disk brakes and front forks. Got a set of Shimano BR-M455 Calipers and levers, Will see how they go with the standard disks, if not ill change them later, And also a set of Shimano alivio rapid fire shifters, as the ones currently on the bike are intergrated into one unit.
Went for some SR Suntour forks as they do all i want them to (Adjust and lock out).

I know they aren't the best things to go for, But they will do for me as they are an upgrade to what I have now, Plus they are well under the budget i gave myself!
Tom G

11th Jun 11 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have Shimano Deore 27 spped on mine with Raleigh Quad QHD hydraulic disc brakes, front and rear. i only ride lightly but never had a problem
Jas

11th Jun 11 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

19.99 for brakes you may be disappointed!

speak to doug about the AVID BB5's

good bit of kit for its price

I use the bb7's

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » push bike - disc brake conversion 23 database queries in 0.0207400 seconds