corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » BMW Mini's

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BMW Mini's
jibjob

User status: Offline
22nd Jun 11 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm on the hunt for a new car and Mini's seem to crop up quite a bit within my price range and requirements. The only trouble is i don't know a lot about them and what specs are worth having and what problems are common on them.

Out of the cars i've looked at i've decided that i would want one with the Aero kit, half leather and mileage of 60k or less. The colour isn't really an issue and neither are the alloys.

Now the only things i'm not too sure on is whether its worth looking for one with those options plus the Chilli or Pepper packs. Is it worth looking out for these things or to just go for a spec that includes just the bits i want?

Also what are the differences between the Mini One and Cooper? From what i've gathered the One is base spec and comes with cloth seats, no fogs and wheel trims and is just a basic 1600 engine. Then the Cooper is fogs, full/half leather, alloys and a slightly more improved 1600. Is that right?

What are the common problems and faults with them and what sort of mileage do these problems occur? There seems to have been a few recalls on most pre 2002 Minis but i'm assuming these problems were sorted on cars after that or easily checkable through a main dealer.
I've also heard of a TLC package that covers the first 5 years of ownership or 50,000miles and that it can be transferred to new owners so is it worth checking for that?

Any help would be great as i'm in need of a new car quite quickly but everything i look at seems to have faults/problems around the mileage in my price range.
pow
Premium Member

22nd Jun 11 at 10:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Power steering pumps is the one to watch out for. They get more and more noisey and then go bang - £500 to fix.

Get one with decent tyres, they have runflats thus £££.

Check the gearbox is tight and not jumping out of gear when giving it the beans on the old ones.

Check the boot carpet isn't wet - leaky boot seal.
jibjob

22nd Jun 11 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You lovely man.

Cheers for that i'll keep an eye out for those problems and see whats what. I think i'd get rid of the run flats anyway as they're crap for a decent, comfortable ride.
fazza

22nd Jun 11 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

womans car unless you get a JCW

What sort of £££ you looking to spend
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Jun 11 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd agree with the above and say it's a girls car unless it's got an SC on it tbh.
jibjob

22nd Jun 11 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye it is a womans car if you get the base spec or the normal Cooper, but with Aero kit they actually look quite nice.

My sensible budget is about £5-6k but can go both lower and higher for something different. The only problem i have is insurance. With only being 22 and having 3 years ncb and a ban from 3 years ago it makes getting insured on anything too expensive or with too big of an engine quite hard.
mwg

22nd Jun 11 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The R53's seem to have quite a few problems and not built that well supposedly either.

Only one I would have is the JCW for the same reason as brett and fazza

[Edited on 22-06-2011 by mwg]
NovaGTE2

22nd Jun 11 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The early ones were also prone to airbag sensor problems. Worth noting that a clutch change is an engine out job so can be pricey. As for the TLC pack; ist not always 50K or 5 years; its actually 5 visits so can come in under both of those; but yes it is transferable.

My old man is on his 4th now and tp be honest they have been all really good; each one was on about 120K when he changed and going strong at that point. IMO the R56 Cooper D is the one to go for; as did 70MPG and felt quicker than all the other bar the Cooper S
fazza

22nd Jun 11 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2760861.htm
pow
Premium Member

22nd Jun 11 at 11:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh shut up 'it's a womans car'

If he likes one why the fuck shouldn't he have one. He asked what to look out for not if it's a girls car
jibjob

22nd Jun 11 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
The R53's seem to have quite a few problems and not built that well supposedly either.

Only one I would have is the JCW for the same reason as brett and fazza

[Edited on 22-06-2011 by mwg]

R53's? like i said i don't know a lot about Minis so that means nothing to me

The one i've been looking at is http://pistonheads.com/sales/2838558.htm
Something similar to that would be perfect for me.

The JCW is nice but would be far too much on my insurance
fazza

22nd Jun 11 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

your point doesnt count, you drive a prius

if he likes them by all means by one, but i dont think ive ever seen a bloke driving anything less than a JCW.
nathy_87

22nd Jun 11 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, even though I'm not a hge fan but I did look at one when went to get a new car last year I had a quick look around one, was lovely, the Mini One, was a 1.6 in yellow, if i hadn't been boring and wanted a 'cheap' car to run & maintain I probably would of got it.

[Edited on 22-06-2011 by nathy_87]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

22nd Jun 11 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fazza
quote:
Originally posted by pow

your point doesnt count, you drive a mx5

if he likes them by all means by one, but i dont think ive ever seen a bloke driving anything less than a JCW.
mwg

22nd Jun 11 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

R53 is up to 2006. R56 is 2006 onwards.

Don't bother with a One, you will only spend money trying to get the spec up. That one you've posted looks quite good with the Aero kit on. A Cooper wil still handle well, all Minis do.
Fro

22nd Jun 11 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fazza
http://pistonheads.com/sales/2760861.htm

I've been keeping my eye on this one. but BM isnt going

Buckled wheel leaking air puts me off though as could be other damage.

Edit: theres a cat d's works one with the aero kit and sparcos on there, sterring wheel is shagged for the supposed low milage and theres a foglight missing so fuck knows what else is,

[Edited on 22-06-2011 by Fro]
jibjob

22nd Jun 11 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah i get you now so its like pre-facelift and facelift etc.

Ye i was thinking about that when i was looking at the One's. I'd have to have a set of alloys for it and then i'd just end up spending more and more money on it.

The Aero kit is definitely a must i think as it just stops it looking so round and feminine

[Edited on 22-06-2011 by jibjob]
A2H GO

22nd Jun 11 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob
Ah i get you now so its like pre-facelift and facelift etc.

The Aero kit is definitely a must i think as it just stops it looking so round and feminine

[Edited on 22-06-2011 by jibjob]

No there was a facelift between 2001-2007 (R53) in 2006. From 2007 onwards its a completely new model/shape (R56).

I had a pre-facelift R53 Cooper S with an Aero Kit, they are poorly built even in comparison to my 182 before that.

[Edited on 22-06-2011 by A2H GO]
jibjob

22nd Jun 11 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok nice one mate.

So the one i posted is an R53 Cooper with an Aero kit? When you say poorly built what sort of things do you mean?
A2H GO

22nd Jun 11 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ah ok nice one mate.

So the one i posted is an R53 Cooper with an Aero kit? When you say poorly built what sort of things do you mean?

People will say its just my experience but I'd imagine most of the earlier models will be ropey now.

I had no problems with the Aero Kit, it fits well and makes them look miles better IMO.

They do handle well when you ditch the run flat tyres and the supercharger does mean they pick up really well (cant talk for the Cooper/One). As a result they drink fuel to the point where the power doesn't really justify the amount used. I remember averaging single figures in my JCW and below 20's in the Cooper S but I do have a heavy right foot.

Build wise, the seats are saggy, unsupportive and if leather they don't wear very well. The door cards creak a lot when opening/closing the doors, gearboxes dont like going in reverse and mine didnt like going in 1st when cold, hard ride with the run flats (easy fix come tyre change time), wind/whistle noise though gap in windscreen(common fault), exterior door handle on mine jammed and had to use passenger door for a while, inners of standard wheels corrode causing air leakage/random flat tyres.

Overall made the car feel very sub standard considering the premium they still seem to fetch.
jibjob

22nd Jun 11 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So really its just little niggles that would need to be addressed? Such as sealing the gap in the windscreen, greasing the door, newer alloys or after market ones, normal tyres and then just looking after the leather seats. Nothing too big just a few annoying little problems.
A2H GO

22nd Jun 11 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
So really its just little niggles that would need to be addressed? Such as sealing the gap in the windscreen, greasing the door, newer alloys or after market ones, normal tyres and then just looking after the leather seats. Nothing too big just a few annoying little problems.

Thats it mate, I'm sure with a little attention most of the issues could be put right.

I'm sure there are still a few 'good' ones out there. I always tend to go for low mileage cars, mind had less than 40k on a 53 plate. The higher mileage ones might have had most of the issues put right by previous owners.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » BMW Mini's 22 database queries in 0.0147281 seconds