corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » any one know about welders ?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author any one know about welders ?
edd1.0

User status: Offline
8th Jul 11 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im looking at gettin a welder and the one ive seen is a wolf mig 140 which looks ideal

it says it ' Operates from a 230V single phase supply '

is this just a usual plug you would find in youre house ?

thanks

if not anyone know of an alrite mig welder for £160 that will run off a household supply has to be gasless aswell

thanks
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

8th Jul 11 at 21:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, it does. No idea if that one is any good or not though!
Dan
Premium Member

8th Jul 11 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt go gasless tbh.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
DanCobb

8th Jul 11 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gasless is shit tbh. But yes I would have thought it can run off a household plug
richc

8th Jul 11 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure your electrics are good in the house. Lad at work had a little stick welder on his defender and it kept shorting out the house???

I wouldnt go gasless either. You can little bottles cheap enough. TBF, all of them little welders are shit. I had one to make subframes and seat bases in a mates 306 and you couldnt even adjust the power All you could do is alter the wire feed
Bobber123

8th Jul 11 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got a decent(ish) mig welder and its shit for using it for car stuff, just blow holes in everything, even with the thinnest rods possible and the power on minimum.. however it is great for use on thick stuff. i would deffinatly buy a mig and use gas bottles, there not that expensive to refill or buy small ones, gasless ones are shit, i was gonna go down the gasless mig route but was advised not to by a guy who welds for a living, he said there shit and not easy to get half decent results. £160 should be alright for an old used mig welder... dont bet the newest shinyest one you can get for your cash either, you will probably find a real old shitty looking thing thats been well used will be better than some new cheap shit

[Edited on 08-07-2011 by Bobber123]
edd1.0

8th Jul 11 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right brilliant thanks , ive heard bad things about gasless but apparently welding outside with gas is hard , this one is gas and gasless so im just gonna buy it and learn to weld

thanks people
richc

8th Jul 11 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by edd1.0
right brilliant thanks , ive heard bad things about gasless but apparently welding outside with gas is hard , this one is gas and gasless so im just gonna buy it and learn to weld

thanks people

If you are doing it outside, try and shelter from the wind, and turn your gas up a little more than what you usuall would.
harrisp

9th Jul 11 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gas isnt that bad outside at all so I wouldn't go gasless, Id get a second hand mig, sign up on here and get a welder from there will get a much better one for your money than off ebay etc.
Stick/arc welders will trip standard plugs on the higher settings.

[Edited on 09-07-2011 by harrisp]
oceansoul

9th Jul 11 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by edd1.0

it says it ' Operates from a 230V single phase supply '

is this just a usual plug you would find in youre house ?

Yes, and no. If it operates from a 13A 230V supply then yes its the usual 3 pin plug all over your house. If it requires a 16A or 32A 230V supply then you will need a 16A or 32A outlet. These are the blue industrial type plugs and sockets.

This kinda thing

So check the Amp or Watt rating.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » any one know about welders ? 23 database queries in 0.0060949 seconds