corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » any exhaust pros?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author any exhaust pros?
jay.jay

User status: Offline
21st Jul 11 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have recently swapped my sportex race tube for the original middle silencer section, and the car feels faster with more power lower down in the rev range. Can some one tell me why this has happened? The exhaust system consists of a lexmaul 4-2-1 manifold, decat, standard middle silencer and sportex back box
Phillips_91

21st Jul 11 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly because theres more back pressure, the valves may be seating better, but this is more of an engine thing opposed to exhaust, im an exhaust fitter but wouldnt be expecting these sort of questions from a customer usually why has my cat failed etc
GteRedtop

21st Jul 11 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, Back pressure is needed alot more so on a N/A rather than Turbo charged
jay.jay

21st Jul 11 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right that would explain it, anyone recommend some decent stuff to seal the joints with? That gun gum is crap its blowing like a whore
Phillips_91

21st Jul 11 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We use engineering silicone, much better than exhaust paste because it doesnt dry and become brittle, a little on the dear side but if you can get hold of it it's brilliant stuff
Phillips_91

21st Jul 11 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not entirely sure but this looks very similar to the stuff we use http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/44NC-Neutral-Cure-Automotive-Silicone-Sealant-/250721937110?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a603126d6

Edit: the product in the picture (aslong as it doesnt change and is still a white tube with clampco silicone sealant on the bottle) is the exact stuff we use http://www.clampcouk.co.uk/products/chemicals/sealants/

[Edited on 21-07-2011 by Phillips_91]
jay.jay

21st Jul 11 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinkin about usin silicone but then i thought it might just burn off with the heat, does it really work that good? May consider buyin some
Phillips_91

21st Jul 11 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as long as it's automotive grade then yes it's good, normal bathroom silicone big no no! but this stuff is good upto something like 300 degrees, but if it's infront of the cat dont use that stuff you need the black RTV silicone otherwise it damages the cat converter
jay.jay

21st Jul 11 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well its decat anyways so no problems there cheers for the advice pal
Phillips_91

21st Jul 11 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not a problem if you need anythin else just drop me a u2u
harrisp

21st Jul 11 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Phillips_91
as long as it's automotive grade then yes it's good, normal bathroom silicone big no no! but this stuff is good upto something like 300 degrees, but if it's infront of the cat dont use that stuff you need the black RTV silicone otherwise it damages the cat converter

You sure?

Normal bathroom silicone is fine, its heat proof and I have used it on loads of cars.
Phillips_91

21st Jul 11 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it MIGHT do if your engines running absolutely spot on and the exhaust isnt getting too hot, but the number of cars that i see where even with heat proof gloves we can't touch the exhaust because it's getting that hot i wouldnt want to trust bathroom sealant to stay in one piece, this is specifically designed to never set and stay flexible
jay.jay

21st Jul 11 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont think id trust it either, exhaust on my car managed to burn all the copper slip off the clamp bolts, wouldnt dare risk normal silicone me
antnee

21st Jul 11 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turbo's tend to like a little bit of back pressure to help the oil seals

NA's, its all about exhaust gas velocity not back pressure (although it does come into it), if the exhaust is too big, gas slows down, too small its restrictive therefore slows down.
harrisp

21st Jul 11 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Phillips_91
it MIGHT do if your engines running absolutely spot on and the exhaust isnt getting too hot, but the number of cars that i see where even with heat proof gloves we can't touch the exhaust because it's getting that hot i wouldnt want to trust bathroom sealant to stay in one piece, this is specifically designed to never set and stay flexible

It is fine Ive used it many a time.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » any exhaust pros? 22 database queries in 0.0421410 seconds