corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Sourcing an engine

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sourcing an engine
Paul W
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Jul 11 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm toying with the idea of sourcing an engine for a conversion, but all i can find is bare engines and stuff. What have most of you guys done? Bought as bare engine and built up, sourced a complete engine or used a donor car. What would you say is best? Best i've found is complete engine with all ancillaries but no key chip and transponder. I'm assuming you can just use a key chip, transponder and ecu from a different car on the engine as long as they're all a paired set sorta thing?

Rio Verde Bagged More Door Project
Jed D

21st Jul 11 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was tempted buy a x18xe1 engine, sold for £81 and nearly all the gear off a 1.6 fits

what you got in atm?
AlexW

21st Jul 11 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What engine you looking for? Some pop up full conversion sometimes. I've always bought a engine from somebody who is doing a conversion or breaking/scrapping the car as per this last x18.

Best thing it do IMO is hold out for one, ECU etc dont need to be from the same car as the engine no, just needs to be matched set.

Jeddy nothing on the actual engine swaps between 1.6 and 1.8. Its just standard smallblock stuff that swaps over. If that was the case I wouldn't been cutting and rewelding the sump pickup to fit the 1.6 sump.

[Edited on 21-07-2011 by AW06]
Warren G

21st Jul 11 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Camshaft fits
Jed D

21st Jul 11 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AW06
What engine you looking for? Some pop up full conversion sometimes. I've always bought a engine from somebody who is doing a conversion or breaking/scrapping the car as per this last x18.

Best thing it do IMO is hold out for one, ECU etc dont need to be from the same car as the engine no, just needs to be matched set.

Jeddy nothing on the actual engine swaps between 1.6 and 1.8. Its just standard smallblock stuff that swaps over. If that was the case I wouldn't been cutting and rewelding the sump pickup to fit the 1.6 sump.

[Edited on 21-07-2011 by AW06]

yeah mate, but mounts and gearbox are already there aren't they?
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jul 11 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would always get a complete car. But that depends on whether you can get it there and store it while you're taking bits off.

Far cheaper way of doing it if you have the facility.
Paul W
Premium Member

21st Jul 11 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got 1.4 16v at the minute JedDy

Alex, i'm torn between x20xev and x18xe1. The supposed ease of the 1.8 conversion is pulling me over though i think. Plus i think insurance would approve more. Had quotes on a 2l vectra for £1600 and quotes on a 1.8 for £1400.

Ian, ideally i'd like to be able to buy a complete car, because i could store it on the drive with the corsa while doing the conversion, but it would just be a case of finding one. Plus i can't imagine there'd be much return from splitting a standard vectra? Haven't found any cheapish potential donors

[Edited on 21-07-2011 by Paul W]

dionbee93

21st Jul 11 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have to agree with Ian there.. There really is a lot of benefits there.. You can see the engine running in the car, YOU can take the loom and the ECU out of the donor so you know where and how everything fits and you know what goes where etc. And you'll get nearly £100 back for the shell (plus if its an uprated engine your going for, you can normally take bits off like brakes and another set of wheels spare etc.

Dion!
Jed D

21st Jul 11 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul W
Got 1.4 16v at the minute JedDy

Alex, i'm torn between x20xev and x18xe1. The supposed ease of the 1.8 conversion is pulling me over though i think. Plus i think insurance would approve more. Had quotes on a 2l vectra for £1600 and quotes on a 1.8 for £1400.

[Edited on 21-07-2011 by Paul W]

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=556040

take a look through this one ^

im awaiting my mate putting one in his mint nova shell, give him a hand and see how it goes, may do it myself at some point
Paul W
Premium Member

21st Jul 11 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah, i've been following Hodgy's, do love it tbh.

What with my bro finishing up his turbo i'm feeling a bit left out

Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jul 11 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Metal prices are good and you should get a few other bits to sell, even if it's only a radio and a set of alloys, that should see you £100 back. Plus a bit more than that for the scrap.

That Vec GSi I've just done will have a free engine by the time the donor is disposed with.
AlexW

21st Jul 11 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finding a x18xe1 vectra is surprisingly easy, Could pick one up for £300 and although that isnt cheap for just the engine but sell a few bits etc and it works out about right IMO.

You will be at TVL Yeah? By then i'll be able to tell you what I think of the 1.8, Well, if it makes it lol
Paul W
Premium Member

21st Jul 11 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True true, spose flogging on ebay is the way forward. If i can find one for cheap enough close enough to me i'll definitely go for that option.

Don't think i'll be at TVL. Haven't got tickets for it anyway. Lets hope it does so you can persuade me

Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jul 11 at 23:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate, you need to be at TVL, it's a great show.
corsarooney
Premium Member

21st Jul 11 at 23:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in pretty much the same situation as you paul, stuck between x20xev and x18xe1

Steering more and more towards the 1.8 though as easy to get hold of for pennies and the fact that you dont have to buy a conversion kit.

How bad are the x20xev's compared to the c20xe? Dont really understand why more people havnt done the xev conversion

[Edited on 21-07-2011 by corsarooney]

Corsa 1.6 sport - 1
1.7 puma engined fiesta - 0

Keeping corsa's on the redline since 2008
Twiggy

22nd Jul 11 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look at car auctions.... My old Vectra X20XEV went for £80 aparantly
Hodgy

22nd Jul 11 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

x18xe1 FTW lol

most things are interchangeable between 1.8 and 1.6 eg flywheel clutch cams followers heads are different as said pick up pipes also

they are easy to tune fit on standard mounts, small block box..... etc

i bought a engine with everything accept ecu for 160 quid then got a ecu chip transponder

changed the exhaust manifold for a z18xe manifold 4-1 and used a z18xe down pipe off a astra burtone fit like a glove to the corsa system no chopping or cutting

[Edited on 22-07-2011 by Hodgy]
Paul W
Premium Member

22nd Jul 11 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know, but dont think i'll make it Ian. I might try though, depends when this vic check gets done.

Yeah, I was planning to do an xev, but the xe1 has kinda tempted me away tbh, will pull better than a 1.4 and won't be that much more expensive. Im keeping my eyes open everywhere for a potential donor car

[Edited on 22-07-2011 by Paul W]

Hodgy

22nd Jul 11 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

local scrap yard ?
Paul W
Premium Member

22nd Jul 11 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haven't had the chance to get over there recently but I need to for some parts anyway so i'll be having a look. How much was it for the loom ecu and chips and transponder?

1.8 pulls well hodgy? Think I'm going more for it than the xev ay the minute I think

AlexW

22nd Jul 11 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chris's 1.8 inc loom, ecu and keychip etc cost £200.
Damon.c

22nd Jul 11 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a mate who still might have a red top with head gasket gone it got ecu aswell if your intrestrd paul let me know and il find out?
Sean

22nd Jul 11 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got a guy breaking a car and he is going to give me the car so i can strip the engine out the just give him the car back so basically a donar car
tom130691
Premium Member

22nd Jul 11 at 21:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.8 is the way forward tbh

i have simular issues i need to find a vectra near and cheap enough i want one with less than 90k on the engine aswell becuase im fussy
Paul W
Premium Member

22nd Jul 11 at 22:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AW06
Chris's 1.8 inc loom, ecu and keychip etc cost £200.

Ah, not too bad then, i would be happy with something around that figure too i think.

quote:
Originally posted by Damon.c
I got a mate who still might have a red top with head gasket gone it got ecu aswell if your intrestrd paul let me know and il find out?

Someone that worked at asda? or someone else, might not be the person i'm thinking of. Depends on the condition etc of the engine, if i was to buy a c20xe it'd have to be a decent one, not a dog of a motor. Think the 1.8's the way forward for now though.

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
ive got a guy breaking a car and he is going to give me the car so i can strip the engine out the just give him the car back so basically a donar car

S'alright for some Sean lol

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
1.8 is the way forward tbh

i have simular issues i need to find a vectra near and cheap enough i want one with less than 90k on the engine aswell becuase im fussy

Well if that's being fussy then i'm being even fussier, looking for one with less than 80k, found a few but nothing close enough

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Sourcing an engine 23 database queries in 0.0166872 seconds