corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » corsa b airbox cold air control flap- help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author corsa b airbox cold air control flap- help
ak072007

User status: Offline
2nd Aug 11 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the purpose of this flap inside the airbox housing.

I tested the operation of the flap today. When the engine is off, the flap is open. When I start the engine, the flap closes.

Is this correct? Surely it's blocking my cold air intake? Or does it act as a vacuum and suck as I put my foot down?

I'd really appreciate the answer to this as it really has been bugging me all day lol.

Cheers

Alex
Edges 58

3rd Aug 11 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I believe it opens as the engine gets hot
ak072007

3rd Aug 11 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there any benefit of removing this flap?

My airbox is already drilled
Eddx14xe

3rd Aug 11 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It routes hot air from the exhaust manifold into the airbox where it mixes with the cold air from the air intake. Its so the air going into the engine is the optimum temp for the engine
ak072007

3rd Aug 11 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah I see so that's quite an important purpose. I won't remove it as it will just overfuel the system, not worth lessening the life of the engine for an extra 1 or 2 hp.
Glen

4th Aug 11 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not fit a K&N type filter and get rid of the whole box. cold feed is better for a petrol in these summer months. plus it wont overfuel because the engine ECU watches the engine temp so once its warmed up the cold start fuction will stop and the fuel being injected will be the right amount for the amount of air being sucked in acording to the MAF sensor readings
ak072007

4th Aug 11 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went for a drilled airbox (bottom far side only, how it should be done properly) as opposed to a cone type, cos i want under bonnet to look standard. Also that way you make sure only cold air is being sucked in away from the engine. I also have a BMC panel filter.

My drilled box sounds quite nice and deep, I'm still debating whether to remove this flap or not and see what happens.

If I removed the flap for constant cold air will it struggle in the winter???
Edges 58

4th Aug 11 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I changed the airbox for one of a x14xe (I think that engine code is right) where it didn't have the flap thing and only one hole for air to go in then a pipe from a morette inner lamp to that as kinda a ram air induction.. Works nicely
Glen

6th Aug 11 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a x14xe with a k&n but if ur thinking putting 1 on ur car, inside the air box there is a pipe the directs the air inside the air box, remove it they sound really throaty when accelerating

New Poll