corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Rear Brake binding, how can i get rid of this?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rear Brake binding, how can i get rid of this?
Tomm R

User status: Offline
7th Aug 11 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am in need of a bit of help here.

I replaced my rear wheel bearing last night. Everything on the part of the wheel bearing went fine.

I had a slight brake scrub but when i went to solve this (By applying the hand brake and foot pedal) I made it worse and my slight brake strub has turned into quite a strong brake bind.

The bind of the brake is that strong that i can not spin a full rotation of the wheel, i can just about spin it 1/4 of a turn.

I have looked for brake adjusters on the back of the drum but have found nothing.

I have never really worked with drums so could do with a bit of help.

Why is it binding? How can i solve this binding?

I figured bleeding the brakes may help but it is something i dont really want to do.

There was a slight brake scrubbing issue with the corner i worked on, but this has gor crasticaly worse. There is also a scrubbing from the R/N/S but this is not a problem.

I thought maybe it is something that will drive out but i dont really want to do and cause any further damage.

Any help would be great!
Matty W

7th Aug 11 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how tight did you tighten the nut against the wheel bearing?
Tomm R

7th Aug 11 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I forgot to mention that!

It 100% is not that.

With the hub nut done up just tight enough to secure the bearings the brake binds on the drum and the wheel can not spin. With the hub nut done up a bit tighter it still spins the same.

No matter how loose or tight i secure the hub nut it has no effect on how the wheel spins.

[Edited on 07-08-2011 by Tomm R]
Matty W

7th Aug 11 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you pack it with grease when you fitted it? thing with those bearings is if theyre fitted too tight or not packed with grease, they burn out really quickly.

did the shoes come off when you pulled the drum off?

best thing to do is remove the drum again and have a look inside. clean up any lip on the drum, make sure the shoes are seated properly against the backplate and the pins and securing caps are all in place.

when you re-fit the drum, there should be a small resistance against the pads as you push it on and it shouldnt spin freely, there should be a small resistance to turn the drum

if you have a haynes manual, it'll all be in there

[Edited on 07-08-2011 by music1990]
Tomm R

7th Aug 11 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the reply again!

The bearings are properly packed full of greese. I have done wheel bearings before with no troubles and have learnt to pack them full, especialy the larger inner ones.

The drum did not come off easily. I was tugging on it for a good 15 minutes before the thing came off.

Before refitting the drum i made sure all of the retaining clips, springs and pins were where they should be and functioned as they should. The pads were level with the backing plate and the pads were also central.

I am considering removing it again and checking it over but the way it will take me another 15/20 minuted to get the drum off leaves me to think that there is a fault some where else which i need to sort before i remove the drum.

EDIT

The shoes did not come off when i removed the drum.
To be totally honest i dont think i will be able to remove this drum now the binding issue has accured, it was quite a job before, let alone now.

[Edited on 07-08-2011 by Tomm R]
Tomm R

7th Aug 11 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

THINK I FOUND OUT WHAT IT IS

Whilst the hub was off some one caught or pressed the brake pedal.

This has now put the automatic brake adjuster out of balance.

I need to remove the drum, reset the adjuster and replace the hub.

Well this is what i have ben told anyway. Seems to make sense in theory.

New Poll