corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Couch to 10k..

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Couch to 10k..
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Aug 11 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im starting this tomorrow.

Anyone done it? started it?

Opinions on it? Looks like a great way to break yourself into it slowly.

Day 1 is 4mins 30sec walking, 30 sec run. Seven times.

With warm up etc, lasts 41mins

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Tom G

14th Aug 11 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think you'be posted up before haven't you Dan? I feel like I can run 4 miles (16st) quite comfortably but think I'm struggling to get quicker. Think its just slow progression. Only just started running regularly again mind...normally 12 to 15 miles a week.
Cavey

14th Aug 11 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the mens health 10k in a couple of months and have done nothing at all towards it.

I am a postie and walk probbly 5k a day, so am fairly healthy, but it's not the same!
Dan
Premium Member

15th Aug 11 at 08:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can barely walk 100 meters let alone run it

Starting this morning. Not running on the street, using my treadmill for now. Will be an experience.

I probably have posted about it before tom, ive just never done it yet lol

Dan
Premium Member

15th Aug 11 at 10:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Failed already

Missus reckons it sounded like a heard of elephants upstairs.

Thought my bedroom over arch was concrete floor, but its not. Sounded like it was gonna fall through when sprinting lol.

Back to drawing board, until shed arrives

nathy_87

15th Aug 11 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I done a 10k run back in April. I've only got 1 kidney so this affects things. we had 3months to train and out of those 3 months I went for 2-3 jogs which was no where near 10k or 5k at that. Suprisingly I got a respectable time of 1hr 8mins, which I'm really pleased with as I was just behind another guy from my work place who trained all 3 months. And I'm not runner usually.

[Edited on 15-08-2011 by nathy_87]
Tom G

15th Aug 11 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a good time that! well for not training. I weigh 16st and managed to get 1 hour 6 in the manchester run (including a pee break)
Dan
Premium Member

15th Aug 11 at 15:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not really into running races etc. I just want to get fit. Seems like a good way to stay motivated.

Gonna move the running machine downstairs into kitchen and try again tomorrow I think

BarnshaW

15th Aug 11 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dan you start something like this every 6 months, reality is your born to be fat
Dan
Premium Member

15th Aug 11 at 19:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not done any excersize in 18 months u cunt!

Jimbothebarbarian

20th Aug 11 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pff it's easy!

I'm doing a half marathon in October (21k)

All you need is to be fat, middle aged, and unfit. Then have a gob-shite mate mention it in the canteen at work in front of all your mates that you are to fat etc to do said half marathon.

Then after everyone has a laugh at you. You fook off do a quick bit of research on 'tinterweb find one of several plans and follow them.

I'm four weeks in and upto 13.5k (8.3ish miles) it's fucking ace when you go for a training run with said gob-shite mates at work who all think they're well fit and one by one leave them behind as you "wobble" off into the distance.

Yes nothing motivates more than peer pressure/revenge/mocking/etc

Also treadmill is shit because you can just get off when you like. Drive out to the middle of nowhere is you're self conscious or just set off from home and go. This way you can run for a set time to get better and better run 15 mins and return next time run 20 mins and return. Before you know it you munching the miles. Oh and get a heart rate monitor so you can keep yourself in the right 'zone'

Dan
Premium Member

20th Aug 11 at 13:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wont jump off the treadmill till i have fell off or finished.

Good story tho. good luck with it!

richardworrall
Premium Member

21st Aug 11 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dreadmills.....urgh, hate em. Get out on the road, proper pair of running shoes and eat away at those miles.
Dan
Premium Member

21st Aug 11 at 19:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant run on the road, i hate running in public

Dan
Premium Member

21st Aug 11 at 19:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, once ive got some fitness inside me, i may run on the road. I just cant run atm, ill be dead 10mins into the first day

richardworrall
Premium Member

22nd Aug 11 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would be better starting out on the road. Dreadmills are so easy compared to running outdoors. It'll be like starting over again when you make that step.
Dan
Premium Member

22nd Aug 11 at 18:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I appreciate what your saying. But,last time i didrunning on the treadmill, and then went for a beach run with a mate, i found the beach run far far easier than the treadmill :/

Im not really wanting to become a runner or do it permanantly, i just wanna get fit, so i can bike to work on nice days and other stuff.

Im just using this program as it seems like a nice way into it.

If i didnt live on the busiest road in the town, id probably be more tempted to run on the road. But self confidence is low, and i just cant bring my self to do it.

Tom G

23rd Aug 11 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just drive somewhere to do it? Like a local bike route etc and go running down there? Not got an industrial estate? Thats where i started running...
Dan
Premium Member

30th Aug 11 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Change of plan with this. Found out there was a couch to 5k. 9 weeks rather than 13 and only 30 mins a day. It's Alot more intense though.

Started today and Only managed 20 mins of it. So gonna keep at level 1 fir the week and restart next week.

Dan
Premium Member

1st Sep 11 at 11:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried level one again today. Smashed it this time. So going to have today as day one.

Jimbothebarbarian

7th Sep 11 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought I'd quickly bump this thread up.

I got up to the magic 10 miles on Monday. So I've gone from being a proper couch potato to running 10 miles in 2hrs 12 mins (not exactly blistering pace I know:lol in 7 weeks. Two weeks of that I was on my hols so training dropped down to 4 small 3 mile runs over them two weeks.

So I've got up to the level of distance recommended for my half marathon three and a half weeks ahead of plan.

As for my diet. Well I still drink everyday and I put on a stone on my hols Death or glory for this fat bastard..

Thought I share
Dan
Premium Member

7th Sep 11 at 18:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive complete week one of couch to 5k today, going to do another day of week 1 on friday to tie the weeks in better, then its onto week two on monday.

Im not getting out of breath or struggling with the running, its just my shins and ankles start aching after 5mins and its really painful.

Hoping after a few more goes at it that this stops :/

richardworrall
Premium Member

7th Sep 11 at 22:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well done Jimbo, which half you doing? do you plan on doing any more than that distance? I would to be honest if you have the time, get you body used to it. Most beginners hit 'the wall' at 10 miles and when you have 3 more still to go it can be quite a daunting feeling when your body is screaming at you to stop right there and then!!!
Jimbothebarbarian

8th Sep 11 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm doing "The Great Cumbrian Run"

Yeah I might just do the full distance before I do the real thing although everyone, and, every training plan I know say not to.

To be fair I've not hit any walls yet. I'm quite stubborn and my greatest advantage is I can just switch off and daydream. I must look a right divot as I wobble along with that far away look on my face

I don't know if I'll do a longer one. No doubt some tosser will say I can't do it at work and that's how it all starts...
Dan
Premium Member

8th Sep 11 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So how do i stop the pain in my shins and ankles

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Couch to 10k.. 24 database queries in 0.0204298 seconds