corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Land Rover Discovery 3 - Golf now sold - Disco Bought!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Land Rover Discovery 3 - Golf now sold - Disco Bought!!
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Aug 11 at 10:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What to look out for aside from obvious abuse from towing boats/caravans/horses etc.

Specifically the TDV6, SE/HSE Spec, automatic. 2004-2007

Been to see several over the weekend and some cracking deals about

[Edited on 03-09-2011 by LiVe LeE]
DaveyLC

22nd Aug 11 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Big one is gearbox issues.. Its a sealed unit but they are prone to problems.. Expect a MASSIVE bill if anything goes wrong.

Other problems include suspension leveling issues and general electrical problems.

Everything about them is mega bucks.

Not thought about an X5 or an ML?
John

22nd Aug 11 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They all fail just out of warranty, expensive EGR valve replacement.
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Aug 11 at 12:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Big one is gearbox issues.. Its a sealed unit but they are prone to problems.. Expect a MASSIVE bill if anything goes wrong.

Other problems include suspension leveling issues and general electrical problems.

X5 isn't internally big enough, She doesn't like the ML, although I suggested it. We took an X5, Cayenne, Disco3 and Vogue out over the weekend - She liked the vogue but won't have one on the principal that my ex had one

She's had a Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Disco2 and a Freelander 2, then had a Golf GTI and now a GT-TDi and wants to go back to a 4x4.

[Edited on 22-08-2011 by LiVe LeE]
R Lee

22nd Aug 11 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

T'reg?
Ben J

22nd Aug 11 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want a proper 4x4 then don't even consider the X5/ML etc.

Disco all the way imo.

[Edited on 22-08-2011 by Ben J]
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

22nd Aug 11 at 13:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
quote:

X5 isn't internally big enough, She doesn't like the ML, although I suggested it. We took an X5, Cayenne, Disco3 and Vogue out over the weekend - She liked the vogue but won't have one on the principal that my ex had one

She's had a Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Disco2 and a Freelander 2, then had a Golf GTI and now a GT-TDi and wants to go back to a 4x4.

Its not a principal its rather childish that she wont have a car because your ex had one
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Aug 11 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She did laugh when She said it but in fairness, the one we tested was the same colour, same wheels, same interior and She has blonde hair like the ex too. It would appear I have a "type"

The ex still has her's too so it'd get far too confusing for my elderly neighbours

RichR
Premium Member

22nd Aug 11 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by R Lee
T'reg?

?
R Lee

22nd Aug 11 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Touareg
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Aug 11 at 13:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, gotchya. Did they do a 7 seat variant. Its come down to the 7 seats in all honesty and how She'll actually use it; the LR D3 makes most sense
Jambo

22nd Aug 11 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gmc Suburban.
R Lee

22nd Aug 11 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

T'regs don't do a 7 seater. At least, I don't think they do?

I had a look at many Disco 3's and the main gripe I had with them is interior. Its very utilitarian. Disco 4's look much better, but command a steep price.

A Range Rover is lovely. I'd tell her to get over the issue and get one. Expensive when they go wrong though.
RichR
Premium Member

22nd Aug 11 at 14:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the Vogue's starting to look dated now tbh plus it's not 7 seats; that's what's selling the D3 atm
DaveyLC

22nd Aug 11 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
If you want a proper 4x4 then don't even consider the X5/ML etc.

Disco all the way imo.

[Edited on 22-08-2011 by Ben J]

I'd go for a late Merc GL myself if I had £25k to spunk down a 4x4.

Lets be honest there are not many people who require a "Proper 4x4"... The ML is slightly better than the X5 when it comes to the slippy stuff, theres a 7 seat option, the ESP is brilliant i'd almost go as far as saying its almost un-crashable! However the pre 2006 models are a bit dated compared to the Disco and X5 the diesel lumps and boxes are literally indestructable though.

I honesty think you dont get enough car for your money with the Disco though because they still have far to much of a fashion TAX attached to them.

[Edited on 22-08-2011 by DaveyLC]
Jambo

22nd Aug 11 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love the older gen facelift MLs. Considering one for next car
DaveyLC

22nd Aug 11 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Piece of Kit:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3089914.htm
Matt L

22nd Aug 11 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why the need for 7 seats

personally i would have a toureg if i was getting one, range rovers are nice but as you say are looking a bit dated.
Rich H

22nd Aug 11 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whereas I wouldn't - GL's are bloody awfully built things in comparison to Disco 3's - argue al you want with me, but I work on several week in, week out, so do know what I'm talking about

One particular GL a client of mine has likes to throw itself into limp mode every 500 miles or so as well and has been back to Merc 15 times in the last 3 months to try and sort it so far.

Disco 3's - airbag suspension and elctrical gremlins are some of the main things clients have had issues with. Along with cosmetic things like the plastic trim turning funny like the Disco 2's did - they go all sorts of different shades of grey and funny texture and have to be replaced. Wheels also stain very easily from acid wheel cleaners etc.

That said, Disco's are near the bottom on that JD Power customer satisfaction list iirc.
DaveyLC

22nd Aug 11 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What GL's have you been looking at? The modern ones are brilliant! Its the old ML's were put together by blind retards

To be fair the Disco's tend to be full of electrical faults too its not really a fair comparrison.

R Lee

22nd Aug 11 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What GL's have you been looking at? The modern ones are brilliant! Its the old ML's were put together by blind retards

To be fair the Disco's tend to be full of electrical faults too its not really a fair comparrison.

Americans
Rich H

22nd Aug 11 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The latest GL - they have a lot of kit on them, but they're not as well built as ML's of a similar / same age - and that's saying something!

The very latest ML is even worse than the non facelift ML too in terms of build quality.

Merc's in general these days are very poorly built in comparison to Audi's / BMW's.

I know Disco 3's are far from perfect, but they are good cars still - I'd own one over a Merc hands down. I've never driven either, but basing it purely on build quality and clients personal experiences with them.
DaveyLC

22nd Aug 11 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H

The very latest ML is even worse than the non facelift ML too in terms of build quality.

I get to differ! I've got a pre-2006 one and I can get my fingers between all of the lights and the body panels.
Jambo

22nd Aug 11 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pics Davey?

Can't get over the price of the GL. My dads mate has one I thought they where serious money!
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Aug 11 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That one in the PH link is very cheap, thought they were more than that.

That said, Disco of the same age/mileage should be cheaper than that. Think the Merc is a bit classier though.

Curious as to where you find all these birds who are in to big cars as well

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Land Rover Discovery 3 - Golf now sold - Disco Bought!! 22 database queries in 0.0311100 seconds