corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Rally Photography (help)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rally Photography (help)
John G

User status: Offline
4th Sep 11 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Next weekend im going to be doing abit of picture taking of a rally on our local prom, yesterday i bought a Canon EOS 350D SLR Camera with a 18-55mm Lens, HOY 58mm Filter 1B, 2BG Flash Memory Card, Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro, but in all honestly im totally new to it all so i need to learn all the settings, what settings would you use to shoot rallying/motorsport? also should i be using any particular filter to block out any harsh sun light?

[Edited on 04-09-2011 by John G]
Matt L

4th Sep 11 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Firstly - set the camera in af focusing mode and as its your first time i would set the camera up in shutter priorty mode also and set it to around 1/80 roughly go lower if you feel you can, then it is just a case of practicing panning as the day goes on and messing with shutter speeds as you see fit.

obviously the lower you go ie 1/60 and so on the more blur you will get and the longer the exposure will be and the quicker you go 1/100 the more static the car will be.

iso i would set to around 250ish (higher if the camera is under exposing images) and aperture will be set for you by the camera as its in aperture mode.

as for filters, id either get uv (does nothing imo other than protect the lens) or get a cicular polarising filter as this will help reduce glare/light going into the lens (not by much but it helps).

I would definatly get a lens though if the cars will be kicking up gravel at you.

oh and to give you an idea i have tried track stuff once and out of around 200pics i got like 5 that werent blurred lol it is a case of constantly practicing as the day goes on.
John G

4th Sep 11 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i need to learn all the modes, as at the moment i have no idea how to change the shutter speed.
AndyKent

4th Sep 11 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Panning will be difficult depending on where you stand. For example through narrow trees you'll be better off starting with the 300mm, 200/250 iso and a fast-ish shutter speed. Maybe 1/200 depending on the light levels. Shooting cars coming towards you is easier than across you (though the results are more.......standard).

Definitely get something to cover the front of the lens in case of gravel. You could try tucking it under a jacket, but dust and dirt has a habit of damaging expensive equipment!

Better to ruin a £6 piece of glass than hundreds of a full lens!
John G

4th Sep 11 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not forest rally, its on out local promenade so all tarmac, ill be on grass, just ordered a tripod, i have a filter but its a HOY 58mm Filter 1B so not ideal but at least it will stop any damage. been advised to stick it on tv mode and play around with the shutter mode
harrisp

4th Sep 11 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L

oh and to give you an idea i have tried track stuff once and out of around 200pics i got like 5 that werent blurred lol it is a case of constantly practicing as the day goes on.

Sounds exactly the same as my first attempt at panning.
Rob E

6th Sep 11 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stick it in TV mode and you use the little clicky wheel on the top of the camera to adjust the shutter speed. As its your first attempt, I would just practise. A rally is a pretty good place to start as you will have lots of opportunities to keep trying. Start at a fast shutterspeed of about 1/100 and click your way down. Bear in mind, the speed of the car will effect this too.

It might be worth picking up a photography Mag or two as they were a goldmine of information when I first bought my SLR
Rob E

6th Sep 11 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also worth a read - http://www.carphototutorials.com/make_panning_shots_like_a_pro.html

John G

8th Sep 11 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1/100 or less, i was told to use either 1/60-1/125-1/320? i was thinking about a phography mag but i didnt think if they would talk in a language beyond my knowledge, any specific mags you suggest?
Rob E

11th Sep 11 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a fan of Digital Camera Magazine. Its full of useful guides for amateurs and comes with a CD to help you hone your photoshop skills. They also have been doing a handy pocket guide series lately which is brilliant for keeping in your kitbag.

Also, if you have got an Iphone, I have downloaded an app tonight called "photo Academy" its only 69p and its the best app I've downloaded so far! A must for photographers

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Rally Photography (help) 23 database queries in 0.0098472 seconds