corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Anyone rent off more than one house? Unearned income tax

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone rent off more than one house? Unearned income tax
baza31

User status: Offline
9th Sep 11 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above , just had an offer accepted on another house today . What's crack with unearned income? Is there anyway of avoiding the tax without putting repairs etc against tax end of year? I.e if I started a company could I put all rent to buying another and pay as little tax as possible ? Ta
Rob_Quads

10th Sep 11 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No easy way to avoid paying tax on profits made from a 2nd house.

Only way is to keep shut about them and don't self certify and hope the tax man does not start asking questions about the extra income.

My wife rented her house out and did not bother letting the tax office know (made no difference in the end as it lost £30 over the year so would have made sod all difference really)
baza31

12th Sep 11 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you mean lost £30? They take it before mortgage don't they? Ie if I got 500 a month and mortgage was 510 I would still have to pay tax on the 500? I'll just pay if no way around cant be arsed owing a load back to them
Rob_Quads

12th Sep 11 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your not taxed on the £500

As from direct.gov.uk

Letting residential investment property is treated as running a business - even if you only let out one property. And if you let out more than one property in the UK, they'll all be treated as a single business.
Whether you let one or several properties, you're taxed on the overall 'net profit'
luciaadr

13th Sep 11 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can deduct the mortgage interest, not the capital element.

So in your example, if you get £510, and pay £500 mortgage, £350 of which is interest that month, you will be taxed on the 160 difference
Liam-Wilko

22nd Feb 12 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had property income
- of over £10,000 before deductions or
- of over £2,500 after deductions

only need to declar any home income (rent income over these thresh holds) anything above this will make you fall in a self assesment and will need to pay tax but you can fall in your faver if you have a loss

New Poll