corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Money budgeting

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Money budgeting
Norcy91

User status: Offline
   10th Oct 11 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right then, basically i'm wanting to know what all you people do to watch your spending, if you do

I have a good, steady income which should easily cover what i spend, but i always seem to be struggling
I'd like to think it's because i need to be paid more, but i've come to the conclusion i'm just shit with money!

The main money i have going out each month is my car loan, gym payment and a bit of rent to my mum each week.
What money saving methods do you all recommend me?
Tomnova16
Premium Member

10th Oct 11 at 21:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have more money you spend it. Simples

Just set up a direct debit to a savings account when you get paid and try to forget about it.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Oct 11 at 21:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best approach is to just think about what you spend and make sure you never pay too much for anything.

Are you buying things cash or on a debit card? The latter being better for record keeping.
Nath

10th Oct 11 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some people get out a lump sum on payday and use that cash as their 'spending money'. I on the other hand just spend and hope I dont run out
Paul_J

10th Oct 11 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read 'rich dad / poor dad' - ideal for this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=rich+dad+poor+dad&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=17221993790&ref=pd_sl_24bpsh1oyr_e
Tomnova16
Premium Member

10th Oct 11 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I do nath. Pretty bad really lol

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
John

10th Oct 11 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there any subject you've not got a scheme book for Paul?
Norcy91

10th Oct 11 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i seem to spend little bits of money here and there, and this seems to be my biggest problem. Majority of the time i'm buying my lunch at the co-op nearer my work, i'm having to spend quite a bit on petrol going to work, college and my girlfriends.
Then there's football i have to pay for twice a week as well. It all adds up but i can't keep track of it

My brother has just bought himself a cheap diary and started writing in it exactly what he buys each day and totaling it up, reckons it's been working for him?
Tom G

10th Oct 11 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont need a diary really, sure their will be an app which lets you tot up numbers, easier too
Paul_J

10th Oct 11 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Is there any subject you've not got a scheme book for Paul?

haha pretty much no. I read a lot of stuff, from psychology, nlp, philosophy, social dynamics, trading, programming, business, finance, life style, health, self improvement and occasional fiction.

The other day I downloaded 976 kindle books

[Edited on 10-10-2011 by Paul_J]
John

10th Oct 11 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you read them all? I think I've got that package, not really looked at it though.

Reading that free radicals book atm.
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

10th Oct 11 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take packed lunches you will save a lot. do a weekly shop at lidl some good stuff there much cheaper.
try and minimise your car journeys, even though it sucks because i live further out from work etc i try and do shopping etc or other errands on my way to from work to save going out on a day off, saves a fair bit, adds up
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

10th Oct 11 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make up a spreadsheet of your expenditure, keep your receipts and total it all up and you will see where you are overspending
Paul_J

10th Oct 11 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Do you read them all? I think I've got that package, not really looked at it though.

Reading that free radicals book atm.

yeah there are quite a few classics in that collection. Quite a mix in there though. Rich dad / poor dad was just one I had seen mentioned before and decided to read it, it's quite short so could be read in an evening, but it's quite refreshing to read and ultimately would answer this guys question.
3CorsaMeal

10th Oct 11 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I look after my pennies, apparently my pounds will be looking after themselves, got loads of pennies now, so hope the pounds don't let me down or I'll be pretty annoyed with them.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

10th Oct 11 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use an app called pocket money, monitor all my spending!

Made me see where I was wasting most money and what I could save!

Just have to ensure you put every spend in it or bit pointless!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
harrisp

11th Oct 11 at 02:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take a pack up to work otherwise you will spend a fortune in food.
Graham88

11th Oct 11 at 03:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Internet banking is one of the best things I've ever done for money budgeting. I have cancelled about 5 direct debits that I didn't even know was coming out. I had 3 lots of phone insurance doing the same thing, paying £35 a month in phone insurance :-/

I am trying to cut down on fast food. Other than that if I want/need something then I buy it. Only time I have to really think about whether I can afford it is big purchases and might put them on a credit card to spread the cost over a few months.
LeeM

11th Oct 11 at 03:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got money, buy stuff. got no money, dont buy stuff.
thats the extent of my budgeting
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Oct 11 at 04:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Norcy91
i'm buying my lunch at the co-op nearer my work ...
i'm having to spend quite a bit on petrol going to work, college and my girlfriends. ...
Then there's football i have to pay for twice a week as well.

What is the alternative to lunch at Co-op?

Petrol you can't really lose without not going to places and the only one there you can cut is the girlfriend, not ideal.

Football as well you can't really lose without altering your weekly regime. Although is it essential that you pay for it? Is it indoors or something?

Record keeping is one aspect of it but you must know when you are spending money. Whenever you spend it, question it. Is that the cheapest/best value way of doing what you need to do.
AlunJ

11th Oct 11 at 05:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I keep a spreadsheet of my regular outgoings, put in what ive been paid for the month and it works out what I've got left to play with.
deano87

11th Oct 11 at 06:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
I keep a spreadsheet of my regular outgoings, put in what ive been paid for the month and it works out what I've got left to play with.

I do this. Simply Excel spreadsheet which has my income for that month (as I often get paid commission) plus all my fixed outgoings. This also enables me to add unplanned outgoings such as car maintenances, Christmas etc etc.

You can then easily see what you have left and then can spend according to that.

I also bank with Barclays and within my current account have e-savings accounts. I have one for petrol, one for bills, one for savings. So I transfer all out of my current account on pay day, and then transfer back once the direct debit is due or when the direct debit has come out.
Eck
Premium Member

11th Oct 11 at 06:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
Some people get out a lump sum on payday and use that cash as their 'spending money'. I on the other hand just spend and hope I dont run out

Got it in one I fear ATM's after a heavy night.
Sam
Premium Member

11th Oct 11 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're shit with money, open up another bank account and set up your direct debits etc. from there.

Then when you get paid each month, transfer the money to cover these payments and the rest of the money you have left in your original account will be your spending money.
Hammer

11th Oct 11 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't have a fucking clue what is in my bank from day to day

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Money budgeting 23 database queries in 0.0192151 seconds