corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Internships/work placements

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Internships/work placements
antnee

User status: Offline
11th Oct 11 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One for guys that have been through the whole uni process and getting a placement year in industry.

Any hints or tips to getting a good placement?
ed

11th Oct 11 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are you studying? Why not try:

http://www.jaguarlandrovercareers.com/Career-Opportunities/Undergraduates/Default.aspx

or

http://www.mercedes-benz-hpe.com/hpe/careers/students/undergraduate_placement_scheme/
antnee

11th Oct 11 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Motorsport Engineering.

JLR are coming in tomorrow to talk to us about placements, but ideally I need to be in with a race team/company
ashleh

11th Oct 11 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm currently on a work placement in IT. Only thing I can suggest is stay consistent with applications. I applied for about 20 placements, basically gave up towards the end, then had a company ring me and basically offer me the job after a phone interview.
Gary
Premium Member

11th Oct 11 at 16:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
Motorsport Engineering.

JLR are coming in tomorrow to talk to us about placements, but ideally I need to be in with a race team/company

hard as fuck to find a placement in msport eng apparantly.

Best going down a good few ranks in motorsport to try find a placement, formula ford or whatever it is, ginetta cup, clio cup (think someone on here works for a clio cup team)
antnee

11th Oct 11 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is, with those sorts of teams, they aren't doing any/much proper engineering and development as its a control chassis.
ed

11th Oct 11 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Renault F1 do placements, a friend worked there. How about getting in touch with Force India, they don't list anything formal but could be worth a look.
ed

11th Oct 11 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you should also get in touch with Prodrive as they're crying out desperate for engineers.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

11th Oct 11 at 18:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
Motorsport Engineering.

Try a company called Fortec Motorsport.
emicen

11th Oct 11 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try Ford at Dunton. There's a division of team RS there (or at least there was when I was there)
sand-eel

11th Oct 11 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I think you should also get in touch with Prodrive as they're crying out desperate for engineers.

Aye they are desperate for skilled engineers...sadly not graduates and have no apprentice schemes etc
Bastard jaguar want people with an honours degree.
Think I may apply for that graduate Mercedes one tomorrow
sand-eel

11th Oct 11 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh i've got a motorsport degree and i've pretty much given up with that shit now, just focusing on engineering jobs now.
Gary
Premium Member

11th Oct 11 at 23:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can be arsed to move up north Holset do placements. They make turbos etc and are a good company to do placement with apparently.

antnee

12th Oct 11 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My course is a BEng (Hons), so hopefully that will help a little. (and its accredited by IET and IMECHE)
ed

12th Oct 11 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get yourself membership of those bodies then too, or at least the IMechE. It shows that you're serious about your career, apparently. (It was a recommendation made to me by a few people at least).
Xs

12th Oct 11 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
quote:
Originally posted by ed

Aye they are desperate for skilled engineers...sadly not graduates and have no apprentice schemes etc

When did you graduate?
Ellis

12th Oct 11 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Get yourself membership of those bodies then too, or at least the IMechE. It shows that you're serious about your career, apparently. (It was a recommendation made to me by a few people at least).

Couldn't agree more, potential employers love that sort of shit - I can put AMIMechE (only costs £35) after my name just to look good on a CV, some employers in oil & gas specifically request you are working towards chartership / incorporated status.

It might not be entirely the same within the motorsport industry but surely worth a go, might make you stand out from the crowd so to speak.
sand-eel

12th Oct 11 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Xs
quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
quote:
Originally posted by ed

When did you graduate?

nov 2009
sand-eel

12th Oct 11 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ellis
quote:
Originally posted by ed

Couldn't agree more, potential employers love that sort of shit - I can put AMIMechE (only costs £35) after my name just to look good on a CV, some employers in oil & gas specifically request you are working towards chartership / incorporated status.

It might not be entirely the same within the motorsport industry but surely worth a go, might make you stand out from the crowd so to speak.

Think I may sign up as I have an engineering degree for the "Ieng" one...but it confuses me WTF the differences are, would I get Ieng at the end of my name? I've got Beng (if I want) so whats the point

[Edited on 12-10-2011 by sand-eel]
John

12th Oct 11 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm led to believe you don't get jobs with BEng, has to be at least MEng.
sand-eel

12th Oct 11 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Meng is better than Beng (hons) is it not?
sand-eel

12th Oct 11 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having any degree that is worth something eg Beng Bsc etc is better than nothing I suppose...nearly got a FUCKING good job a few months ago at Vector Aerospace by beating 350+ other people down to the last 12 but didn't get it as my "team work skillz" weren't up to scratch apparently (stupid exercise anyway) but had the best engineering knowledge and experience out of the lot as I got feedback...fucking stupid, gutted was not the word.
John

12th Oct 11 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MEng is better yes, I was looking at doing an engineering degree recently but after speaking to a very successful control engineer the conclusion was it has to be at least MEng and I'd probably have to move elsewhere in the country, start at the very bottom then only make any money about 15 years down the line if I got into oil and gas contracting.
sand-eel

12th Oct 11 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, I'm only looking at graduate scheme jobs really, that have planned ie 2/3 years training...jumping straight in is near impossible.
sand-eel

12th Oct 11 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally would re-locate anywhere to get a decent job.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Internships/work placements 22 database queries in 0.0562298 seconds