corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » N9

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author N9
John

User status: Offline
22nd Oct 11 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/22/nokia-n9-review/

That looks like a really, really nice bit of kit.

Nokia were class leaders only a couple of years ago, if they'd went with android on something that looked like that 2 years ago it could be a whole different ball game today.
Chrissy
Premium Member

22nd Oct 11 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup. The Engadget guys seemed to fall in love with it.

Looks cracking. Wish I could have got a go on Meego.. Looking forward to something similar with Mango on it.

>>>> Chris <<<<

Jambo

22nd Oct 11 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Packaging
Chrissy
Premium Member

22nd Oct 11 at 20:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flol actually just noticed the packaging now you mention it..

[Edited on 22-10-2011 by Chrissy]

>>>> Chris <<<<

A2H GO

22nd Oct 11 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow, I'm blown away by that.

LeeM

23rd Oct 11 at 02:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it'll be mediocre, the sort of phone you get on contract and regret within weeks
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

23rd Oct 11 at 04:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks decent but it would take alot to get me away from android and iphones
deano87

23rd Oct 11 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it had Android I'm sure it will be fantastic. Meego app store would put me off tbh.
AlunJ

23rd Oct 11 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nokia need to get with the times
Ojc

23rd Oct 11 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
If it had Android I'm sure it will be fantastic. Meego app store would put me off tbh.

@symbian#dean_kahl/nokian8/
Dom

23rd Oct 11 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
crap

Mr Joslin has spoken, therefore it must be crap

Back on topic, it look absolutely immense and personally think it's (inc the 800) the best styled phone out there Shame that Nokia aren't really backing Meego/N9 (although apparently they'll support it for 2 years) and it kind of shows with the limited market release and high price.
Paul_J

23rd Oct 11 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hadn't even watched the video when I made that comment.

Now I've watched the video, I will state my true feelings on the new nokia...

crap
A2H GO

23rd Oct 11 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the hardware is fantastic. Glad to see someone thinking out side the box instead of going with the generic samsung/htc/every other smartphone look.

As mentioned, its a shame about the software, single core chip, screen res, no 1080p vid recording etc etc. Could have been so much more.

Would it be possible to put WP7 or Icecream Sandwich on it?
Paul_J

23rd Oct 11 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunately, Nokia is now a tainted brand. It was once a king, but now seriously uncool.

That on its own means this smart phone's fate is almost certainly doomed. Then there's the design. You all say it looks fantastic, but I think it looks a bit bland, cheap and flimsy (the little plastic flaps will snap off). The software unfortunately lets it down compared to the market leaders and will ultimately leave it's users feeling disappointed in their offering of apps. Plus the other mediocre specs. I'm unsure what this N9 really is doing to try to get back in the ring, it ultimately feels like a phone which would've been released a year or two ago.
A2H GO

23rd Oct 11 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have been even better if it was machined out of alloy like the older iPod nanos to give it a premium feel.

I won't buy one but will be interested try it out.
John

23rd Oct 11 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Unfortunately, Nokia is now a tainted brand. It was once a king, but now seriously uncool.

That on its own means this smart phone's fate is almost certainly doomed. Then there's the design. You all say it looks fantastic, but I think it looks a bit bland, cheap and flimsy (the little plastic flaps will snap off). The software unfortunately lets it down compared to the market leaders and will ultimately leave it's users feeling disappointed in their offering of apps. Plus the other mediocre specs. I'm unsure what this N9 really is doing to try to get back in the ring, it ultimately feels like a phone which would've been released a year or two ago.

Really Paul?

This isn't to help Nokia get back in the ring. Specs aren't mediocre either, Nokia never needed the fastest processor to get the best performance, you should understand that being a software developer.
Paul_J

23rd Oct 11 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u more appropriate.

What I mean by it being mediocre is the fact that Nokia need to be leading with innovation to capture a market that it has lost. There is nothing in that phone (apart from perhaps the design of the handset) that really makes people think 'wow, I will get a N9 rather than latest iPhone / Android handset'. I'm sorry that you disagree with that John, luckily we live in a world where we don't all have to agree and we're all entitled to our own opinions.
John

23rd Oct 11 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not what this phone is ffs, the new WP7 phones are to get back into the market, they had just already designed this and they are releasing it in a couple of markets.

This opinion thing is a mistake loads of people make. You are not allowed your own opinion if it's completely made up.
Paul_J

23rd Oct 11 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I genuinely laughed at your last line John You and Pol Pot would have been great friends.
Ojc

23rd Oct 11 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pmsl Paul
Gary
Premium Member

23rd Oct 11 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Needs android. Having more app/music stores ain't good imo. spreads users too thin. look at itunes. its awesome, android music hub is wank considering so what will nokias be like?
Hammer

23rd Oct 11 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't say Nokia was uncool at all. What they have been is slow in the uptake of newer software. Symbian is shite and they refused to acknowledge that for ages.
BarnshaW

23rd Oct 11 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

who is pol pot?
Hammer

23rd Oct 11 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Peter Pan's brother.
Dom

23rd Oct 11 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
u2u more appropriate.

What I mean by it being mediocre is the fact that Nokia need to be leading with innovation to capture a market that it has lost. There is nothing in that phone (apart from perhaps the design of the handset) that really makes people think 'wow, I will get a N9 rather than latest iPhone / Android handset'. I'm sorry that you disagree with that John, luckily we live in a world where we don't all have to agree and we're all entitled to our own opinions.

It isn't aimed at the top end market nor is the N9 being released as a saviour for Nokia, that's being left to the 800 and the rest of the WP7/8 range. It's being released as they committed to the manufacture of a Meego phone prior to deal with Microsoft. The limited country release and and hefty price tag would also suggest they lack any real interest in the product. Which is a shame as Meego is decent OS, although i agree that that it's all a little bit too little too late.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » N9 25 database queries in 0.0170431 seconds