corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » how hard are degrees ?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how hard are degrees ?
edd1.0

User status: Offline
23rd Oct 11 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hello

anyone done a degree and how hard did they find it ? how much work etc ? im in my first term doing business and it seems quite straight foward but i havn't had any work marked etc so just worried im missing something out and going to fail
Shell
Premium Member

24th Oct 11 at 01:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're in first year, that's a breeze the work gets harder as the years go on! It's gradual though so you'll get used to it, don't panic. I'm currently working on my degree modules and there is far more expected than there was in first year.
ashleh

24th Oct 11 at 05:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My first year didn't even count for anything. 2nd year is 20% and third is 80%.
AlunJ

24th Oct 11 at 06:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started and open university one and gave up, I might buy one online
sc0ott

24th Oct 11 at 07:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what course. A degree in window cleaning will he easier than law.
spencer88

24th Oct 11 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My degree is part time, so my year 1 and 2 is the same as a full time first year.

I have just entered my third year, and as said, the first 2 were easy, then it hits you

Not too hard, as long as you can research things well and reference.
sxibeast

24th Oct 11 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im doing an Open University one at the moment.

First couple of courses weren't bad, but be prepared to do work over christmas and new year! I had one assignment due 3rd January last year, and if you have a habit of letting work slip over the festive period, you end up with a bit of a rush on!

But over all, the courses are good and the tutors are good. The work books they send you are very good (as are all the audio, dvd and computer software).

One thing i am sturggling with this year though, is getting back into a routine of doing 3-4 hours work after work each night. The last couple of years were fine, but this year for some unknown reason i am finding it hard to get into it, and i have an assignment due Wednesday!
RichR
Premium Member

24th Oct 11 at 08:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends entirely on the degree - I was so bored in my first year that I nearly chucked it in and left. Years 2-4 were the most difficult academic years of my life but then I did an engineering degree with a lot of engineering mathematics/calculus etc. I can't imagine an English Lit. or Business degree being as demanding
spencer88

24th Oct 11 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Depends entirely on the degree - I was so bored in my first year that I nearly chucked it in and left. Years 2-4 were the most difficult academic years of my life but then I did an engineering degree with a lot of engineering mathematics/calculus etc. I can't imagine an English Lit. or Business degree being as demanding

Business can be hard, especially once you get into finance and taxes.

I thought my degree would be easy, then I found I had to do economics and GIS mapping.
RichR
Premium Member

24th Oct 11 at 08:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What gets me with the majority of people who moan about how difficult their degrees are/were, is that they're the ones who are in for 8-10hours a week max. A girl I know has just started uni doing accountancy - She's off Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays and moans at having no money, needing to extend her overdraft and no time to get a job, yet according to FB is out on the piss every night.

I used to do 35hours of lectures and then have about 20hours of 'home' work to do on top of that, plus working so that I didn't get in too much extra debt.

I also don't liek the classification of degrees either 1st, 2:1, 2:2 and 3rds. You simply cannot compare degrees that easily. A 1st in leisure/deck chair management doesn't really compare to even a 3rd in a Maths/Science/Engineering degree
adiohead

24th Oct 11 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mickey Mouse degrees are so easy that most of the students don't even know they are getting them.

I did most of the work for a previous gf's media degree and it was ridiculously easy.

A proper degree will be very hard.
Marc

24th Oct 11 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
Mickey Mouse degrees are so easy that most of the students don't even know they are getting them.

I know a few people that did history degrees, in their words - The easist degree they could obtain.

Makes me sick!
ed

24th Oct 11 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are quite a few courses that people can do, turn up and do the bare minimum and then end up with a degree (engineering included). There is, however, a massive difference between getting an ordinary and getting a 1st class honours degree in terms on the amount of work you need to do and how employable you are afterwards.
RichR
Premium Member

24th Oct 11 at 09:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a 2:2 hons in Naval Architecture, I was in the top 10 people on my course out of 35, only 3 got a first; I got offered a place to do Aerodynamics at Southampton - yet I can't get onto a supermarket graduate training scheme because I didn't get a magic 2:1 or above and as its not degree specific, i.e. they're only looking for people with 2:1s or above in any degree, someone who did deck chair management could quite feasabily walk into a graduate scheme; and if I sound bitter abotu that, its because I am.
ed

24th Oct 11 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to sort out that chip on your shoulder. Bitter people tend to get more and more miserable, it's not healthy and it's only university. You've got your whole life to do whatever you like with.
Adam_B

24th Oct 11 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did BA Hons Photography, 1st year was a breeze but after that (when it started counting) it got really tough. 3rd year was pretty much all taken up with a final project and 24k word dissertation which sounds easy but they expected us to cover every tiny minute detail and manage your time evenly. I leaned more towards the practical side over my dissertation and it showed with a low 2:2 for the writing and a 1st for the project.

My uni were shit at getting marks back to us but we had the option of feedback tutorials which were really useful, if your worried about grades see if you can sort something similar with one of your tutors.
RichR
Premium Member

24th Oct 11 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know - it doesn't make a difference if I stay in this discipline; its if I ever want to move out of this industry where the merits of a specific degree won't be judged on academic content but more on the final outcome.
Xs

24th Oct 11 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
I got a 2:2 hons in Naval Architecture, I was in the top 10 people on my course out of 35, only 3 got a first; I got offered a place to do Aerodynamics at Southampton - yet I can't get onto a supermarket graduate training scheme because I didn't get a magic 2:1 or above and as its not degree specific, i.e. they're only looking for people with 2:1s or above in any degree, someone who did deck chair management could quite feasabily walk into a graduate scheme; and if I sound bitter abotu that, its because I am.

Is this just a rant or are you trying to move into a grad scheme?
RichR
Premium Member

24th Oct 11 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rant - Was looking randomly at Grad schemes last week and it annoyed me that I won't ever get to work at Lidl
shaunmods
Premium Member

24th Oct 11 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in my second year of my BA hons Business. The first year was fairly straight forward because most of it I'd done at college before. But the second year is a lot harder so far.

What modules are you doing atm Edd?

[Edited on 24-10-2011 by shaunmods]
Jake

24th Oct 11 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott

dont think you can get degrees in window cleaning mate
Xs

24th Oct 11 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake
quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott

dont think you can get degrees in window cleaning mate

Wouldnt surprise me if you could these days, they do a degree in the most pointless things! 'Festival Management' is my most recent favourite!
Robbo

24th Oct 11 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
You need to sort out that chip on your shoulder. Bitter people tend to get more and more miserable, it's not healthy and it's only university. You've got your whole life to do whatever you like with.
what he should have done is just worked harder and got a better grade

[/popcorn.gif]
Rob E

24th Oct 11 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm currently in my Final Year of Motorsport Engineering. The first two years were the HND qualification and the final year that im doing now will top that up to a BSc.

They have been tough and rewarding years and have opened up so many carreer opportunities and I'm not even out the door of Uni yet. My highlight has to be a work placement with Atech Reid GP though. They took 4 of us student on to go round the world with them competing in the Superleague Formula series as an active part of the team. Although Superleague Formula came to a premature end this season, I still work with them one day a week and I have all the assistance I need to help me with my final year project.

Its also worth noting that my class had 97 students in the first year and that we are now down to 27. Its not what a lot of people expect material wise. Lots of maths and science!
RichR
Premium Member

24th Oct 11 at 14:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:
Originally posted by ed
what he should have done is just worked harder and got a better grade

[/popcorn.gif]

probably

(The only people who got better than me were French and they're just, well, better all round)

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » how hard are degrees ? 22 database queries in 0.1651831 seconds