corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Filled My Door Cards With Foam (Pics)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Filled My Door Cards With Foam (Pics)
Mav 3000

User status: Offline
19th Apr 03 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have just emptied 500ml of filler foam onto my door cards. I have done this to fill the gaps in it so when it goes back on it will hopefully provide a little more sound proofing and reduce road noise.

I'm waiting for the foam to completely harden off before I cut it down to size and smooth it all out. It's swelled up quite a lot over the last few hours!

Pics so far:

I've seemed to have lost the holes for the internal door pull but that'll be dug out tomorrow.

[Edited on 19-04-2003 by Mav 3000]
Kris TD

19th Apr 03 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, it take hours to set inside, leave it over night.
Mav 3000

19th Apr 03 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah coming back to it tomorrow night to smooth it all out etc. its squidgy now but very soft in the middle. weird stuff!

The can ran out halfway through the second dor - would have liked to smooth the whole lot but ended up having to borrow some from the first door card. I think the swellings stopped now!

Hopefully a nice smooth finished picture tomorrow night.

(Sanding my mirrors tonight. I seperated the cups from the baseplates and think I can keep my original base plates (the black insides of these come out too so hopefully will simply interchange these bits if need be) and just paint the cups blue. This will mean I have 2 silver base plates and 2 blue cups for sale!)

Just gotta wait for spray-friendly weather.
Scott

19th Apr 03 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hate working with that stuff
Mav 3000

19th Apr 03 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ideally I'd have smoothed the whole door card off but in its pre-bloated state I ran out.

It's horrible stuff - it stank and made me feel dizzy and is so sticky its a real pain in the backside.

Was gonna to the rear door cards too but think I'll just see how the fronts go.
chrisfitton

20th Apr 03 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i filled my rear arches on corsa c 3dr its so much quiter especially in rain as stops noice of stuff hitting arches. Cant fill it totally though as if you filled it too much it wud push body work outwards. Also ya have to block off the area where seat belt reel is.
Munchie

20th Apr 03 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chris any pics or a better explaination bout wat uve done?! how much is it a can?
Mav 3000

20th Apr 03 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Munchie I've got my door cardsand stuck the nossle of the filler foam inot the empty hole and filled em with foam! Will be sanding then back shortly.

This is to help releive sound from outside.

You can get the cans from any DIY shop. Price not sure - my dad donated the can for me
Mav 3000

21st Apr 03 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's the finished effort:

Just gotts wait for wiring on car to be done before I fit them back on and test the results.

I had to cut a lot of the foam back. I've sealed it up to stop it flaking and going everywhere etc.
MattyB

21st Apr 03 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with gaffa tape!!??? u sure thats gonna hold mate.
Mav 3000

21st Apr 03 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The foams is well and truly stuck to the door card underneath as its adhesive.

I just used tape to stop little bits falling loose and getting in the door etc. Tidy it up etc.
MikeE

23rd Apr 03 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Expanding foam is bout £6.00 a can.
Fitz

23rd Apr 03 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be interested to see how it sounds when you're done. Looking forward to the update.

23rd Apr 03 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The door cards are currently sitting in my dining room in the state shown above. They will be going back on when my Electric Windows have been fitted. The car's going in for a quote on this next tuesday so thay won't be nback on for another week and a half earliest!

I'll tell everyone how it goes. If theres a big difference I'll be doing my rear doors too!

New Poll