corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » cancelling insurance question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author cancelling insurance question
Cavey

User status: Offline
18th Nov 11 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm away from home for the week and forgot to stop the aa renewing my car insurance.

My question is... I had a prang at the start of December last year. If I keep my Insurance till after that date, will I get the extra years no claims and just pay for one months worth, then cancel, and get 11 months worth refunded to me?

Hastings direct were 150 cheaper so want to move over to them.
Teddy

18th Nov 11 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most likely with admin fees.
Check the small print.
Cavey

18th Nov 11 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will do when I'm home.

But I would gain a years no claims even tho I'd of only paid 1 month?
johnhara1

18th Nov 11 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be polite, have a bit craic with the person on the phone and they might just refund it without the fee

Cavey

18th Nov 11 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well just had someone phone me trying to get me to take legal cover, so told her I plan to cancel in a month. Turns out I won't get another year, even tho its a year since the prang as it just counts as a claim Nov to Nov when my I.surance was valid.

So gonna cancel it tomorrow when I'm home
pow
Premium Member

18th Nov 11 at 11:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah you won't get a years no claims without the policy being valid for a year?!
Cavey

18th Nov 11 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My thinking was that it had been a year since the crash, therefore I hadn't claimed for a year

[Edited on 18-11-2011 by Cavey]
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Nov 11 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
My thinking was that it had been a year since the crash, therefore I hadn't claimed for a year

[Edited on 18-11-2011 by Cavey]

I thought the same. My car ownership anniversary and insurance renewal anniversary are three months out of sync, and I was insured on my old car for 9 months with tesco which just about passed me into my 8th year of NCB.

I cancelled at this point when I got a new car, and went with Direct Line - and I've gone back to 7 years NCB now as I lost the 9months with tesco, despite the fact that the 9months passed me over 'the threshold' into another year of NCB.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

18th Nov 11 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would you think 9 months out of a 12 month policy would give you a years no claims?
Liam-Wilko

18th Nov 11 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you have 14 days from a policy reneweing or been taking out to cancel thats by law
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Nov 11 at 17:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Why would you think 9 months out of a 12 month policy would give you a years no claims?

Because it was a multiple of 12months since my last claim. As I said, my policy renewal and length of NCB was out of sync.

Passing the 9th month with tesco marked my 8th year of NCB over my car ownership.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
MarkSport

18th Nov 11 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cancelled mine yesterday after 13 days and only got charged an admin fee.
John

18th Nov 11 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:

Because it was a multiple of 12months since my last claim. As I said, my policy renewal and length of NCB was out of sync.

Passing the 9th month with tesco marked my 8th year of NCB over my car ownership.

If it worked that way you could be not insured for 8 years and get 8 years no claims.
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Nov 11 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:

If it worked that way you could be not insured for 8 years and get 8 years no claims.

I've been driving for all of that time though, so it's not quite the same.

A few years ago I started a policy, and the company had been sending all the documentation to the wrong address (new build estate, caused some confusion).

After three months or so I rang them to change something on the policy, and they claimed that my policy had been cancelled months ago as I wasn't responding to the final bit of paperwork After a few calls to their customer service, they accepted fault and accepted that they had fucked up - so they started the policy again from that date to last for a further 12months.

In effect, I ended up with a 15month insurance policy which means I have since been three months ahead of my NCB accrued, and when I finally came to switch insurance company I did it at a time which matched the renewal date of my original policy - thinking that they'd add the 9months to the 3months which they fucked up for me a few years ago... they didn't, so it cost me a year NCB - which in turn was £7 per year extra on my new policy.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
LeeM

18th Nov 11 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you get a years no claims issued after a full 12 month policy with no claim. it doesnt matter how long you actually go between accidents

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » cancelling insurance question 23 database queries in 0.0141549 seconds