corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Disc direction

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Disc direction
xa0s
Banned

User status: Offline
21st Nov 11 at 04:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi

i know peeps say that the grove direction doesnt matter, but k sport has directional discs, and when they were fitted it kinda made sense to me and the mechanic (warren!) that they scope the air inwords, but now people are saying my discs r wrong. they say if u put a pen in the middle of the disc the pen should point to the REAR of the car, so my discs r the wrong way.

now my question is... how much difference will this make? Can i just swap 'em round or will they already be bedded in and not like a direction change?

can anyone explain why they need to go that way, is it to scope hot air out of the centre rather than get cold air into the centre to cool it?

i chucked away the instructions like a n00b so i dont even know what k sport say, but there's a few on seat cupra with the kit who say its fitted wrong.

what would u do? leave it or swap 'em? or swap 'em when need new pads? or what
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
21st Nov 11 at 04:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't imagine the discs are worn enough for it to be a worry.

You can also swap the pads, in fact Hi Spec suggested this to me because mine were wearing in wedges, just need bedding back in.

Guess its the same principle as most bonnet vents, the air going over the vent creates a vacuum in the hot area and evacuates it. Hence why they look like they're on the wrong way to cool. I would guess a vacuum is more effective than trying ram air down inside somewhere that already has airflow.

Exception of course being induction which has its own principles.

[Edited on 21-11-2011 by Ian]
Steve
Premium Member

21st Nov 11 at 07:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks alright to me. Ring k sport and get the answer in seconds
BarnshaW

21st Nov 11 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought brakes were like this normally however K-Sport in particular say to do it the other way round? i have read about this somewhere with K-Sport before
smcGSI16V

21st Nov 11 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Looks alright to me. Ring k sport and get the answer in seconds
Corsa_Sport21

21st Nov 11 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Google it. Plenty threads on a few different forums giving you the answer.
Toby
Premium Member

21st Nov 11 at 08:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If that's your car in the picture then they are fitted how the manufacturer recommends.
Toby
Premium Member

21st Nov 11 at 08:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

However having read your post to me it sounds contradictory to the picture
djgritt
Premium Member

21st Nov 11 at 12:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look like the way most Grooved discs should sit, where the forward-most part of the Groove (nearest disc centre) contacts the pad first, forcing gases/dust upwards to the outer edge of the dics and away...

What you also need to note, is that the Grooves are cut 'blind' as it were, not right to the inner or outer edge of the disc, so technically, whatever ends up in the groove is likely to stay there for longer rather than be dissipated in the way I tried to explain above

My old Cavalier discs weren't 'blind' grooved;

My Current Vectra ones are 'blind';

My old WP-Pro Discs on my Corsa did run 'backwards' to the way explained, but they had the Grooves cut into the central vents to channel gas into them, and the instructions, and markings on the disc also showed they were to be that way;

I don't see a problem with how yours are fitted, personally.
antnee

21st Nov 11 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He isn't on about the grooves in the face, its the cooling vanes in the middle (between the 2 disc faces)
djgritt
Premium Member

21st Nov 11 at 14:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
He isn't on about the grooves in the face, its the cooling vanes in the middle (between the 2 disc faces)

Nice of him to mention them then...
xa0s
Banned

22nd Nov 11 at 06:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
quote:
Originally posted by antnee

Nice of him to mention them then...

I did u tard, everyone else understood

'they say if u put a pen in the middle of the disc the pen should point to the REAR of the car, so my discs r the wrong way.'
broster
Premium Member

22nd Nov 11 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as people say, ignore the grooves on the face of the disc, work off the vents, they suck in from the middle and out the edge, it works on the centrifugal force. my stoptech bmw kits have the grooves looking like they go backwards.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Disc direction 22 database queries in 0.0645161 seconds