corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » RAC / AA etc to pick up a car

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author RAC / AA etc to pick up a car
mantamark

User status: Offline
15th Dec 11 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, theres a car 2.5hrs away from its home, the alternator has died, battery is kaput.

Been suggested that rather than pay for it to be towed/ trailored back, sign up to breakdown service with roadside recovery and get them to get it?

Has anyone done this? I know on quidco theres a couple of deals at the minute, so could work out cheap. but can you sign up, then 30mins later say, oh hi, my cars broken down?

Must be a clause in there somewhere so this doesnt happen, i can imagine quite alot of money would be saved if you bought cars for a living and just had the aa go pick them up all the time

Ideas?
Generation

15th Dec 11 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alot of policies will "take you rest of journey" so it would have to be quite far form the adress. They are humans not robots, and will notice if you have a problem 30 mins after joining. I used shiply to move mine 3.5 hours away
mantamark

15th Dec 11 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its about 2.5hrs away from where it needs to be. alot of transporters are saying £1 per mile, from where the car is to the where it needs to get to, its 110 miles, i'm assuming the £1 per mile also includes the transporter leaving wherever it is, and getting back there too?
Eddx14xe

15th Dec 11 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you have to be a member for a day before you can use it.
mantamark

15th Dec 11 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats not a problem really as the car is at a friends house, so can be collected any time up to crimbo eve.

Someone said AA have a clause that the car has to be 10 years or younger, which i've read on the site, but i cant find anything like that on the rac site so will have to get in touch with them in the morning
Chris x

16th Dec 11 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took out my own policy with RAC a few months back. Within the first 36hours or so, they would only recover you if you were 10miles from home, or either take you 10miles nearer home.

Something like that anyway.

Best bet would be to get a mate who has cover for himself, rather than just the car and get him to recover the car. But probs not worth the hassle.

[Edited on 16-12-2011 by Chris x]
Generation

16th Dec 11 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine cost £180 all in, I was priced from myself to destination
Mertin

16th Dec 11 at 05:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont know anyone with a Bank of Scotland Ultimate Reward Account?

When you take out the account your automatically registered for breakdown cover, and it covers the person and any car they are in. Just have to phone the ultimate reward customer services I think, and AA just need to see the card / name and your covered
VegasPhil
Premium Member

16th Dec 11 at 07:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin

When you take out the account your automatically registered for breakdown cover, and it covers the person and any car they are in. Just have to phone the ultimate reward customer services I think, and AA just need to see the card / name and your covered

Covered to move them 10 miles

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
DAZ1985

16th Dec 11 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin

Same with Barclays current account too
nathy_87

16th Dec 11 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im sure if someone's got cover and they are with you (if you say its your car) then they will come and tow you to your destination.
deano87

16th Dec 11 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you do want to be recovered that far you will need "Relay". That is what it's called with the AA.

Roadside will enable them to A) Fix B) Tow to the nearest garage/10 miles. Plus you have to be over 2 miles (about that) from home.

Relay. Will take the car home or to the destination of choice.

Home start. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

[Edited on 16-12-2011 by deano87]
davieslim

16th Dec 11 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you phone u the rac and join over the phone within the first 24 hours your limited to 10miles

[Edited on 16-12-2011 by davieslim]
nathy_87

16th Dec 11 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you pay my petrol money i'll come over
mantamark

16th Dec 11 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Much petrol would you need?

Wonder if signed up, then next week call them, say id broken down but had to get home so got lift to train station, ive left keys with a friend?

Would they bring the car back woithout being with the car?
Corsa_Sport21

16th Dec 11 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What kind of car is it??

Take an alternator down and fit it.
harrisp

16th Dec 11 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mantamark
thats not a problem really as the car is at a friends house, so can be collected any time up to crimbo eve.

Someone said AA have a clause that the car has to be 10 years or younger, which i've read on the site, but i cant find anything like that on the rac site so will have to get in touch with them in the morning

Ive had cars older than 10 years recovered by the AA.
ed

16th Dec 11 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Replace the alternator, jump it and drive back without stopping?
SXi_Tim

16th Dec 11 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i bought my LET off here from wilson_sri or whatever his name was i got 50 miles from his house in Scotland before the alternator parting company with the car Signed up with AA 1 hour before and they were out to me within 15 mins.
Fonz
Premium Member

16th Dec 11 at 15:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
quote:
Originally posted by mantamark

Ive had cars older than 10 years recovered by the AA.

when my gf took my 1993 MX5 out and duly ran out of fuel (:mad she calle dthe AA who then recovered her....

so i agree. however this maybe a policy thing. i got jonit membership for us and not the car, that way any vehicle up to a 17 seat minibus is coverd by the policy if we are drivers or passengers!
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

16th Dec 11 at 15:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sometimes it also depends if the motor is taxed and insured.

Sometimes you can get away with it, I think once Fad got a car recovered by AA/RAC that didn't have a engine
mantamark

16th Dec 11 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its an alfa 156 2.4 jtd, altenator is a pig to swap, needs engine mounts, shafts etc etc removed and its still tight then.

Think its out of tax too so probs no good going down recovery route? Will ring around car delivery places.
mantamark

16th Dec 11 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or, anyone got a ebay account they dont mind getting bad feedback on? Lol!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » RAC / AA etc to pick up a car 23 database queries in 0.0178161 seconds