corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » One for the Subaru people on here . .

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author One for the Subaru people on here . .
belton

User status: Offline
21st Dec 11 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of my mates who does professional mini racing has told me so many time how he wants to come to a track day and show me how to really drive . . Very randomly piped up the other day about his UK WRX he had just bought, so he can come to a few normal novice days next year with me. Its dark blue 1996 model wrx, 75k, exhaust, service history, T&T, looks a bit basic but cost him £1200. He knew the bloke selling it but he was telling me you can pick up similar spec/year for about 1600£.
Are these classic scoobys any good, reliability etc? What are the pro's-cons of ownership? I would defo not be tuning it much. They are really common so I am guessing they are pretty good! I know I would rather an STi but 1600£ seems a lot of car for the money. I did notice a few of the ads claiming they have had replacement engine's. And I would rather not a car that is prone to explode and cost 4k to rebuild.
Seems like a good track car mainly, which will be good from march when I turn old enough to get on works trade insurance.
Tried to google the question above but it just came up with loads of scoobynet pages about why an STi is better
Cheers all
Ojc

21st Dec 11 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stay well away if you haven't got money to get it repaired.
Ben G

21st Dec 11 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate has a uk turbo 2000 (212bhp iirc), goes well, quicker than standard hot hatches of day but crap fuel economy.

he paid £2000 2 years ago for one on 100k miles. only problem he had was the headgasket went, cost £700 as he got it fully serviced.

[Edited on 21-12-2011 by Ben G]
AK

21st Dec 11 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is no such thing as a UK WRX in the classic shape.... as far as I know.

They are all UK Turbo AWD 2000s, sports or the specials like McRae, RB5, Catalunya etc

[Edited on 21-12-2011 by AK]
AK

21st Dec 11 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

orig question....

It might be £1600 to buy but if you plan to use it on track budget that yearly to keep it on track.

If its mapped sensibly (running reasonable power or standard) it should be reliable.

BUT.... as standard it will be crap on track!

Understeer, wallow about etc.... like any standard road car.
BarnshaW

21st Dec 11 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all depends how well it has been looked after really, regular servicing and service history is a must, alot of poor examples out there with modifications which have not been mapped onto the cars.

spend a little more, get a nicer example and do some research before buying, scoobynet is a great place to start , if you get a good one though you wont get another car with as many smiles per £
belton

21st Dec 11 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
orig question....

It might be £1600 to buy but if you plan to use it on track budget that yearly to keep it on track.

If its mapped sensibly (running reasonable power or standard) it should be reliable.

BUT.... as standard it will be crap on track!

Understeer, wallow about etc.... like any standard road car.

OJC I can afford repairs as such, it's just I always thought that classic's were prone to blowing up, I have no idea why I have just always thought that.
Budgeting for track is fine as I can service the car for nothing along with being able to get tyres really cheap. So lucky there.
Ben G to be fair if a full service includes belts and head gasket done (assuming it does) £700 seems pretty good going!
AK only mods would be exhaust and handling. Coilovers/roll bars poly bushers, standard crap. Consodering how many are about parts seem to be available in the masses, also his car is probably a turbo 2000 then, I didn't think they had WRX spoilers etc, his must of just had one fitted.
Cheers guys
belton

21st Dec 11 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
all depends how well it has been looked after really, regular servicing and service history is a must, alot of poor examples out there with modifications which have not been mapped onto the cars.

spend a little more, get a nicer example and do some research before buying, scoobynet is a great place to start , if you get a good one though you wont get another car with as many smiles per £

Yeah I would ask on scoobynet but it's a subaru impreza forum so bound to be biased slightly. I know a few people on here own scoobys! Also scoobynet just pulled up threads with people saying 'just budget for an STi', but I don't wanna be spending 4k. Yeah, plenty of abused scoobys, but checking adverts it seems to be quite easy to see the dogs, always crap adverts.
Scooby for 1600£ does seem very good price. Even decent pulsars fetch 4k ish
Gareth

21st Dec 11 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had 3 classics 2 were unreliable engine and gearbox rebuilds required. gearbox and clutch £1800 engine £2000+. Although this was a long time ago maybe cheaper to fix them nowadays.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » One for the Subaru people on here . . 22 database queries in 0.0274119 seconds