corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » clutch/gear selection problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author clutch/gear selection problem
bullock106xsi

User status: Offline
22nd Dec 11 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

need to find solution to this lads as my brothers ready to bin this car. we have a 1400 sport and just changed clutch cable after the previous one died. now we adjusted it and he drove it to work this morning but all of a sudden it wouldnt select gears and popped off the clutch pedal due to the tension. we sorted it for him to get home and it now seems that if we adjust it it will drive and select gears ok for x amount of time then wont at all. my bro uses the car daily so any help as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated as like i say hes ready to strip it and turn it into a cube
corsa-vxr

22nd Dec 11 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rong cable sure theres to for the sports 1 longer than the other
bullock106xsi

22nd Dec 11 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye we noticed that bud but i would of imagined that we wouldnt of got any joy at all if it was the wrong one. with this we get selection fine for x amount of miles but then it stops selecting gears again
Jed D

22nd Dec 11 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hello bullock
linkage bolt tite?
bullock106xsi

22nd Dec 11 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the setup on this one is like a spring loaded unit an the nut is in the plastic unit. hard to explain without pics. but even then that doesnt move when it stops working
Jed D

24th Dec 11 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the selector not buggered then is it?
johnhara1

24th Dec 11 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bullock106xsi
aye we noticed that bud but i would of imagined that we wouldnt of got any joy at all if it was the wrong one. with this we get selection fine for x amount of miles but then it stops selecting gears again

If there are different length cables then the logical thing to do is try a longer one as it's obviously bottoming out and pulling the cable off.

If the wind the cable right out, so the bite is right at the top, does it work ok then?

bullock106xsi

24th Dec 11 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bites right at the bottom john. ive managed to fix it. seems that it was self adjusting some how. the new cable had a spring loaded plastic part on the threaded bar so i fitted the old solid block where it connects to the clutch fork. put a locking nut on and set it up and it seems to be playing the game. feels very heavy to change gear so i think it may be too short
joeseth17

24th Dec 11 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

clutch might be going mate or release bearing, when it heats up the bearing might stik on the shaft so thats maybe why your loosing a clutch after a while
corsadonk
Premium Member

24th Dec 11 at 22:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Haynes says the clutch pedal should be a bit higher than the brake. Adjust so it's like that, drive it till it stops working, and see if the pedal has moved. Are you sure it's route correct, and not catching anything behind the engine? It's on the pedal correct, and the adjuster isn't moving?
bullock106xsi

29th Dec 11 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the replys lads much appreciated. its been a few days since i put the locking nut on and it hasnt packed up so looking good for now. we`ll bear in mind whats been said incase it fucks up again in the future

New Poll