corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Saving for a house

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Saving for a house
carl123uk

User status: Offline
26th Dec 11 at 01:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

me and the mrs are starting to save for a house.

going to be putting away £100 a week. what would be the best savings account for this?
M2RTY

26th Dec 11 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isa usually a good tax free bet but naff all return at the moment
Graham88

26th Dec 11 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus only allowed 5k in them and only allowed 1 ISA per tax year. I just opened one with Santander with 3.1% interest
Russ

26th Dec 11 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you live at home why not out away everything you have spare? £100 a week isn't a lot. Wouldn't cover most mortgages.
AlunJ

26th Dec 11 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to agree with Russ on this one, it would make sense to put away what you're going to spend on the mortgage plus bills etc to see if it's actually affordable for you.
carl123uk

26th Dec 11 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

were both saving the same so 3/4 years time will have £15k-£20k each enough for a deposit. the house prices we are looking at we can easily afford it between us.

just wanted to no the best investment for the £5k a year i will be saving.
Russ

26th Dec 11 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

isa/portfolio manager
M2RTY

27th Dec 11 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best as in largest or best as in safest?

isa = safe

invest in stocks/shares = risk with potential high redturns
deano87

28th Dec 11 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nationwide do a savings accounts whereby you save a minimum £50 per month and after 6 months, you're eligible for a 95% mortgage all being way.

Save to Buy it's called or something like that. I haven't looked into it fully and only had this mentioned to me by friends so probably more to it.
ed

28th Dec 11 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's also FirstBuy which will get you about 80% of a brand new house with a 5% deposit. So depending on where you live you could get somewhere with about £5-6k down.

As for saving it up, you're not going to make a hell of a lot of interest on it at the moment, but if you want a good return, it's often better to change product every year. Also weigh up what's more important, interest or access to the money - if you don't want easy access to the cash then a regular savings account might work out best.
deano87

28th Dec 11 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More info on what I mentioned:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/savings/limited_access/savetobuy/introduction.htm

Ed - I've looked into FirstBuy which largely is great, however I believe it's ending in March 2012 as there was only a limited pot. But I believe the government recently announced investment in housing which includes deposit schemes so no doubt there will be an extension or new similar scheme.

[Edited on 28-12-2011 by deano87]
ed

28th Dec 11 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a shame, shared ownership seems to be here to stay though
Graham88

28th Dec 11 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going on what Ed said, I can't speak for all banks but with Santander, I wanted an account with access but was willing to compromise if the interest rates were considerably higher. Turns out I got a better rate by having an account with full access than one without it, times are changing I guess...
Dan
Premium Member

28th Dec 11 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd seriously suggest putting away at least 1000-1250 a month a way between you. So say 300 a week (150 each)

Me and misses realised the other day if we had put 300 a week away (what we pay now for everything) for the 5 years we had been together before we moved in together we would have had 78000. That's a 50% deposit on the house we just bought!!!

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
deano87

28th Dec 11 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trouble is, I could do that, but then I wouldn't have much else and by that I don't mean I can't afford a mortgage if I moved in with the misses, but we buy food just like we would if moved out, plus pay housekeeping, so it's difficult to put away what we'd be paying out.

I do need to save more and as a result probably won't upgrade my phone etc.
carl123uk

28th Dec 11 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea £100 a week is a 1/3 of my wages at the mo so £100 is comfortable without having to dip in to get extra cash because im short.
Generation

28th Dec 11 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spread cash between a few banks to make most of their offers. Regular savers etc are good but have a maximum amount. Or pay into one account and set up standing orders to go elsewhere.
Graham88

29th Dec 11 at 01:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how hard you want to save really. I save now but comfortably, I still do the stuff I want to do. If I wanted to save hard I would cut back and wouldn't own the car I do, but I still want to enjoy myself. So I'd say 1/3 of your ages is acceptable and still a good effort.
deano87

29th Dec 11 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Depends how hard you want to save really. I save now but comfortably, I still do the stuff I want to do. If I wanted to save hard I would cut back and wouldn't own the car I do, but I still want to enjoy myself. So I'd say 1/3 of your ages is acceptable and still a good effort.

I take home about £1220 and save £450 every month. When I say every month it is a bit ambiguous, as if I need car repairs etc, I take it out of the £450.

Next car service is cambelt bye bye savings that month
Graham88

29th Dec 11 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See I do mine slightly different to that as I save minimum
£300 and then whatever is left I put it once I get paid so that is kind of the same as you I suppose. Just because I have money left I don't have the 'let's spend it' attitude of some mates though
craig8
Premium Member

11th Jan 12 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try to put away what you expect your outgoings to be when your in the house, will get you used to being skint

E36 328
Tom

11th Jan 12 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm starting to save for a house deposit but not until spring, got a car and holiday to pay for first

I hope I can get some serious saving done and hopefully see some 5% deposit mortgages around when the time comes (probably in 2014).
jungle

11th Jan 12 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when me and the wife where saving for our house we lived off her wages and i put everything i made thru the week including homers in the bank saved 12k in next to no time at all

New Poll